Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Some Advice

Rate this question

MedicC

Question

Hello everyone,

I am rated at 80% broken down as follows.

70% PTSD

30% the code the V.A. used was for migraines but the notes say muscle tension headaches secondary to post concussion.

10% Right ankle injury

10% Tinnitus

0% Hemmoroids

0% Lower back injury

Denied SC MRSA Residuals

I was a medic in a line unit in Iraq in 2003 and 2004 involved in some of the major battles of those 2 years. Not going into details since nobody really needs reminders of what they have been thru and I don't need to think about everything at this point but things were a little rough in the desert. I am not here for some poor me story or anything as I am well aware that some of the guys I took care of, and people I have never met, are in ALOT worse shape then I am in. I'm just trying to do the best for my family and do it the right way.

I was rated at 80% within a couple months of getting out in 2004. I have done the best I can working since then but have recently been troubled by headaches that are very very bad. The doctors are still trying figure out if its related to what i have been having problems with for years or if its something new and how to fix it. I have a vein in my brain that has bled in the past that they found on an MRI but the surgeon does not think its the cause of my headaches. And its a private surgeon with a good reputation so I am inclined to believe him.

I have not been able to work for the last couple weeks because of this. Not working has made me realize how much my PTSD really is affecting me. Over the last 9 years I have buried myself in work and I think it has not been healthy. I have not allowed myself time to heal. Now that I have not been working it has made me realize I really do have the problems that I have been burying this whole time. In the last 9 years I have had probably between 8-12 jobs I'd have to really think about it to figure exact number out, I have quit everyone of them because I have gotten pissed off at someone and told them to pound sand.

Financially I can afford to take some time to deal with the problems I'm having. It will be tough money wise but with my wife working, and with a little family support, we can afford to not have me work for little while. It puts our dreams of buying a home and having kids on hold for awhile but I think I need some healing time before we have kids anyways.

My question that I need some advice on is: Should I put in for SSDI or TDIU while going thru this or should I just give it a couple years and see how treatment goes and then apply if things don't get any better?

Thank You in advance!

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! When I was at the V.A. today I got authenticated to use the the myhealthevet program. I get my medical records and go thru them and put them in my file at home every so often. Just for giggles I thought I would look at what they had online in my medical records to see if it was the same. I GLAD I did! They do not match AT ALL! The following might explain what has been going on all along with my headaches. I remember having an MRI about 5 years ago which is about 5 years after I got out of the army. I went to see the doctor at the V.A. after the MRI and he told me that my results were normal and everything was fine. Now keep in mind this was before I started keeping my medical records at home so I just believed him and went about my way.

The following is an excerpt of what I found in my medical records from 5 years ago! I had NO IDEA about this so I have not been taking it easy on my neck or trying to do any rehab. Quite the opposite, I continued running and lifting weights as a stress release. Now the only problem is I am NOT service connected for this although it will be covered as a medical expense I am not sure that I can get temporary 100% for recovery from surgery. In the report it goes on to say that surgery is the most likely treatment needed and this was 5 years ago. I know I will need another MRI to see where I am at now but I am 99% positive that this is what is causing my headaches. and in the report they did not look at the c1-c2 area and that is the one that causes headaches most frequently so I am sure that is messed up too.

Does anyone know if my headaches are caused by this problem if they will show that as the cause of the muscle tension headaches the whole time and allow me put this in to my Service Connection stuff under the rating that I have at 30%?

MRI CERVICAL SPINE
Technique: Sagittal and axial T1 and T2
Findings: There is posterior disc and osteophyte at C3-4 through
C5-6.
C2-3: Sagittal images only were obtained. No significant stenosis
is identified.
C3-4: There is mild asymmetric left uncovertebral facet spurring
without significant narrowing of the central canal and only mild
narrowing of the proximal left neural foramen.
C4-5: There is mild uncovertebral facet spurring and disc mild to
moderately narrowing the neural foramen
C5-6: There is a broad-based central right paracentral protrusion
effacing the ventrolateral subarachnoid space with mild narrowing
of the central canal. There is mild/moderate proximal right
foraminal narrowing.
C6-7: There is a small central disc protrusion mildly effacing
the ventral subarachnoid space. This is associated with
asymmetric left uncovertebral facet degenerative spurring and
disc. There is minimal narrowing of the central canal with mild
to moderate left and mild right foraminal narrowing.
C7-T1: There is no significant stenosis.
Impression:
bilateral foraminal narrowing is noted.

go see a chiropractor, they will tell you what affects what. they have it down to a science. pinched nerves in your back can even cause stomach problems, like cramps, discomfort, ect. the va will just lie to you and say you are fine.

Is right bud, the VA always looks for a way to get us Vets. I had MRIs a few weeks ago on both knees and shoulder. Also had CAT scan on my belly for my Crohn's Disease, and what do you know that my back is so bad that the CAT scan of the belly showed the L1, L3 and L5 were depressed and deformed. Now I am 80% for PTSD, Crohn's and other medical issues. I was medically retired last year, and the VA said both my knees, back, neck and shoulder were not service connected because I had no current diagnoses. The problem was the VA kept taking XRays of my joints, which only show breaks. Now that the VA finally did MRIs on my body, now I need all these surgeries. I have 2 more MRIs in two weeks on lower back and neck, WTH. I have until the end of Feb to submit an NOD, but I do not know what to do because I submitted an FDC in Sep 13 to increase my PTSD and Crohn's and I don't want to lock up my claims for years, by submitting a new one. Sorry I rambled on, just wanted to Vent a bit. Good luck