Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

36 Years To Go From 10% In 1977 To 100% Iu P&t In 2013

Rate this topic

GEEBEE711

Helo to all forum member! Thank you everyone for your service. My heart goes out to each and every Veteran who has or is still are experiencing long stressful delays and or having to go through the very long appeals process due to their claims being denied.

That said, I would like to post the successes of the many VA (and one for SSDI) claims I've made throughout the many years. I took 36 years to go from 10% (1977) to my current 100% IU T&P (2013)

I was discharged from my service in 1977 (USAF 71-77). I had a right knee injury in 1972. After much physical therapy, I was finally sent to Germany (while stationed in the Azores) for surgery in 1974. I had an open knee surgery (no arthroscopic back then) to have a torn meniscus removed.

After leaving the service in 1977, I applied for compensation for right knee and hearing loss. A C&P for knee & hearing loss. I was awarded 10% right knee & 0% for hearing loss. Time of claim: Less then 10mo.

Fast forward to 1998 after continuing knee issues, the VA did a "Scope" on my knee and determined that I had a torn "ACL" that was no doubt missed during my first surgery back in 1974. After 30 days of 100% for rehab, the "ACL" was repaired the folowing month. After 100% for 9 months for rehab, my new rating automatically increased to 20%.

Five years later in 2003, I had a total knee replacement. After 12 mo of 100% for rehab, my new rating was automatically increased to 30%.

In 2005, I made a new claim for hearing loss & tinnitus. New C&P for both. Approved 10% hearing loss & 10% tinnitus.
New rating at 40%. Time of claim: Less than 10mo.

2011 I made a new claim for degenerative arthritis left knee secondary to right knee (Secondary), lower back condition secondary to s/c right knee (Secondary), anxiety/depression secondary to s/c right knee pain (Secondary). 3 C&P's were given. All 3 were approved. Mood disorder 50%. Lower back 40%. Right knee 10%. New total for pay at 90%. Time of claim: Less than 10mo.

2011 I applied for SSDI. I applied online myself with NO lawyer. Social Security sent me to 2 of their own doctors. One psychologist for mood disorder and the another for knees and back. It was approved (permanent). From application to approval only took 5 months 10 days.

2013 was my last and final VA claim. I filed a claim for "IU". The VA received my claim on 05/25/2013. Had 2 C&P's for Mood disorder & lower back (again ???) on 11/25/2013. On 12/21/2013 this too was approved in a few days LESS than 7 months! Even though the rating did NOT increase for mood or lower back, it didn't decrease either so it stayed at 90%. The "IU" was rated with those magical letters "P&T"!

So, with 6 ratings (10,20,30,40,90,100 IU +PT), 4 seporate claimes filed, 8 C&P's all taking less then 10 months, and NOT one of my claims ever had to go to appeals, I truly feel very blessed. It's my sucess that makes me so damn sad to hear other much less fortunate Veterans who have to go through the crap the VA process makes them go through.

I pray that every Veteran here will finally get the benefits that not only deserve, but thoses you have EARNED! The best of luck and God Speed to all of you!

Great news bud,

I was medically retired last year with 80% from the VA. Submitted FDC in Sep 13 and SSDI claim Nov 13. My FDC has not moved but I just had my second and final SSA exam yesterday. I pray that my claims pick up and I can write a nice success story on Hadit too. God Bless you and good luck.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

Thanks guys!

I feel that my success was largely due to having patients. For any given condition, I waited months and sometime years before filing a claim. During that time, I wanted a good medical "Paper trail". I visited the VA clinic each time it was needed for care. Made sure they did MRI's and x-rays when needed. If they scheduled me for physical therapy, I NEVER missed the appointment or had it rescheduled. I only listed conditions that I knew were service connected. I didn't just list a bunch of stuff and then threw them up against a wall to see which one stuck. After my total knee replacement, it left a scar that in some places was nearly a 1/2' wide (a couple of stitches came undone when doing physical therapy). Even though I could of added the scar to my claim, I didn't. I didn't, because I saw no point of it. I don't believe it would have increase the 30% that was already given for the knee replacement. I tried to keep my claim as simple as possible.

Not one of my claims needed collaboration from outside doctors as ALL of my medical records indicated that all my care was through the VA. The VA had EVERYTHING that was needed to process my claim.

I did my claims myself without any outside help. I did go to my local DAV to help me with my most important and last claim when filing for IU. It was a poor experience. I left their office and filled out the forms myself. I'll post what happened at a later date. Not all DAV's are created equal!

Great news bud,

I was medically retired last year with 80% from the VA. Submitted FDC in Sep 13 and SSDI claim Nov 13. My FDC has not moved but I just had my second and final SSA exam yesterday. I pray that my claims pick up and I can write a nice success story on Hadit too. God Bless you and good luck.

Navyo4, I'm hoping to see your success story here soon! My SSDI was the biggest surprise of all. After hearing all of the horrors stories of those who've applied, I didn't give my chances very high hopes. Here in Florida, the first time applications being approved are in the low 20 percentile. SS sent me to two of their own doctors (as stated in my above post) for review. Being approved in near record time in only 5 months and 10 days, it was done too quick to even get any retroactive back pay as the first 5 month don't count. SS didn't even request my VA medical records, and the VA when doing my last claim for IU did not use the records from SS even though the disabilities for both claims were exactly the same.

I can not stress this enough....HAVE A WELL DOCUMENTED CASE! Putting in a claim prior to having good records on each and every issue being listed lessens your chance of being successful. You either wait now and build a good case, or wait much longer when you have to go through the appeals process. Even then, there's no guarantee that it will be awarded without good medical records to bolster you claim.

The very best of luck to all of you who are still waiting!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use