Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Here, First Time Questions

Rate this question

DDuck

Question

Sorry I just found this forum, I sympathize with so many of you. So a little background I was med boarded out in '98 at 20%. I was very upset, I suffered a AGE (Air Gas Embolus) from a diving mishap upon successfully removing a distressed diver (I was 2nd Class Diver at the time). I suffered photosensitivity and migraines after a TT6 with two extensions. I was told to suck it up or lose my pin, so I did.

Later in the middle of Phase I EOD training a DUI driver drilled me going about 60-80 mph the cop estimated. Being young and stupid I sucked it up and went back into training for a week until I was urinating blood and my left leg went numb. Later they found a undiagnosed bone spur that shredded my urethra and I have to self cath to this day. (NEW add as of today 2/12/2014) My Creatine levels are 1.38 so the doctors think I may just be starting very early stage kidney failure. They are going to test monthly to see if it stablizes.

A year ago they re-evaluated me at 80% my breakdown is:

Right hip injury/pain (was dislocated in the accident) 10%

Neuropathy of right foot 10%

Urethral stricture and Bladder neck contracture/stricture 60%

DDD L4-L5 and L5-S1 (two surgeries) 10%

Vascular migraine 10%

Tinnitus 10%

My question is my upper back is starting to obtain a moderate curve and is starting to cause breathing problems and shoulder pain (which I have been complaining to the VA about).

How would I try to process this? Attached to a pre-existing back condition or as a separate claim?

Also starting this last year I have been on HCTZ for high blood pressure (over a year of 164+/100+) due to chronic pain my doc figured. Is it to much of a pain to fight for that (not overweight no family history of HBP)?

Last question is I have had flat feet since I was released (no records indicate this that I can find) but my QTC doc stated that with my training and job that I should put in for it, I have been out for 15 years, or is it too much hassle. I am really not able to jump through too many more hoops, I feel like I will choke a doctor out. I have spent my life since age 25 dealing with this and mentally I am shot at 42 now. I have held jobs up until five years ago, the pain/stress have been so bad my wife said I needed to quit or get a divorce. So I quit.

I apologize for the format and the shotgun style questions but I have received no help of significance from the Legion or the DAV.

Regards,

Dan

Edited by DDuck

If your TDIU claim is approved, then you could-if you choose- be done with filing VA claims. If they deny TDIU, then you could certainly file a claim for all the items you have listed. Hypertension would probably need to be "secondary" to one of your already service connected conditions. In general, there is less burden of proof for secondary conditions.

Have you considered the possibility you may have a approvable claim for PTSD based on either the diving mishap or the motor vehicle accident? Its a common misconception that PTSD must be combat related. That is not true. Combat is only one of the many things that can cause PTSD. Also, you mentioned your wife has to interject for you at appointments. Memory loss & difficulty concentrating can be caused by many things-and one of those is TBI-Traumatic Brain Injury. Motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of TBI's. I'm not saying you have either of these issues, but based on what you wrote-the possibility is hinted at. If your TDIU is not approved, maybe look into this.

Filed almost a year ago & still in gathering evidence stage?? That seems like a really long time. What did they say last time you asked for a status update? Have you sent them everything they asked for?

Edited by NavyWife

Welcome aboard....I'm new here too. I have a spinal injury and it caused a severe mental condition because of the pain and lack of sleep. The mental condition was documented in my Service Med Recs though. However I was not service connected for that when I left the service. I would suggest making an appointment with mental health and tell them about the pain and lack of sleep and how distraught you are, basically what it going on with you. My mental condition is secondary to my DDD. You could then file the diagnosis as the secondary if the shrink opines that it is due to your SC conditions.

Push them on the TDIU. They only send out 21-4192 to employers you have had in the last 5 years. When they send one out to a past employer they will wait 30 days and then they are supposed to send it out again and wait another 30 days. They tell you it is your responsibility to get it done but really it is up to the VA. Most employers won't send them back in anyway because they don't want to be liable. If you are having a financial hardship with paying the bills then you can claim that. A VA social worker is supposed to document all of that. Two years ago I was very sick, in a lot of pain, couldn't sleep and didn't have enough money coming in to live on. All of that stress can make everything else even worse. I would get a good SSDI attorney right away and get the ball rolling. I went with Binder and Binder. Two phone calls and filled out a few forms and several months later I was approved. If your VSO becomes a hurdle, you can dump them by rescinding the POA and either find another VSO or do it yourself until you get the decision letter then you can hire an attorney if you want to. I hung around you guys at LC and Coronado so I know you are tough as nails. Hang in there!

I think that Berta and Carlie are really angels with high IQs sent here from Heaven to help us Vets!

Edited by GatorNavy

@Stretch Is your meaning the doctors office?

Yes, I can't describe it but I don't feel right even sitting in Doctors offices now. I my hands start to shake and I feel like my throat is closing. With my wife there it is much better.

@NavyWife Have you considered the possibility you may have a approvable claim for PTSD based on either the diving mishap or the motor vehicle accident?

I have not, when I hear PTSD I think of combat vets. I asked my wife about my above statement in 1999. She helped me recall I was talking with another vet about 2nd Class Diver school 5343, and EOD school 5332, and I told them about a "near drowning" mishap that I had and we laughed. I guess the nurse overheard and asked if I wouldn't mind filling out a questionnaire to help the VA understand vets issues. I did then the doctor questioned me and said she would like to have me try Prazosin (had to grab the medicine to remember because I don't use it, it didn't help) and that it might help at night for sleep issues. I said OK and when I went to get the meds it said for PTSD. I went back and said they messed up, I don't have PTSD and she said no biggie they would correct it. It never did and I ignored it since I don't use the meds.

As for the TBI in the car wreck my head went through my side window but they did a MRI I don't think it show anything serious. I do have problems with memory and concentration, but I haven't slept well in over 15 years because of the bladder condition (up all night and cathing is painful so it takes 15 mins for a bathroom break) so who knows.

Filed almost a year ago & still in gathering evidence stage?? That seems like a really long time. What did they say last time you asked for a status update? Have you sent them everything they asked for?

I thought that was normal my last claim took me 3.5 years to process. I just obtained eBenefits access, and I am a bit confused. However anything I have received I sent them.

I just want to say thank you for taking your time and communicating these questions I am starting to see that there is so much information I haven't been told. I know I 'googled' this stuff years ago and it came up with nothing VA forms and lawyer sites. I am so happy for vets now that can see information that is readily accessible.

@GatorNavy Thanks although I went to 5343 school at Coronado I am not a SEAL. A point of issue because a buddy who was/is a SEAL used to poke at me saying "So what do you tell your family.... Yeah kinda like a SEAL but not?" If you knew that already I sincerely apologize but I can't tell how annoying it is, its like people think if you are not a SEAL you are not tough... Again sorry, but I am sure you get that as well.

Glad you found this site I hope you found it quicker than I did.

Regards,

Dan

Edited by DDuck

Way back when....they had UDT teams. Then later on when I was long gone; I heard the Navy wanted more specialized divers so they did away with the UDT as part of the SEAL teams. Blue tees and khaki shorts were their uniform of the day. The 'ol Master Chief had fins and web feet and was as crusty as Blackbeard. :smile:

There are different kinds of tough....

I've been listening to the radio shows for a while now. Check the archives out if you haven't yet. Thanks for your service! Good luck to you...

Gator

Gator

Hooya! Yep they did split it into EOD/SEAL or SEAL(SpecWar)/EOD(SpecOps). UDT's and Blue and golds were the BDU's then, I see now everybody wears specialized t-shirts and hoodies.

http://www.navy.com/careers/special-operations.html

Miss it so much it hurts somedays. I love my family more and would not trade them for that.

Thanks for you service Gator and everyone else here!

Edited by DDuck