Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

More Questions Regarding Va Claim

Rate this question

DICK HILL

Question

Hi everyone. I have a couple questions regarding submitting a claim to the VA.
I recently had an MRI done on my Lumbosacral Spine (Sciatica) because of a long history (off and on since 1987 after slipping on some stairs) of sudden and sharp and burning sensation/pain in my right lower back radiating to my right hip, leg and knee. I have had more frequent/painful episodes occurring over the past couple years. I am scheduled Monday to see a Orthopedic Surgeon. The results of the MRI dated 10 December 2013 revealed multiple degenerative changes and problems at L2-3, L3-4, L4-5, and L5-S1. The MRI results say “L5-S1 and L4-5 - there is focal central disc potrusion, left facet hypertrophy is present, and there is mild right neural foramina stenosis. L2-3, L-3-4, and L4-5 - There is mild circumferential disc bulge.” When I retired in 1988, I was service connected for Degenerative Arthritis/spondylosis of the Thoracic and Lumbar Spine at 10 percent. There are 15 separate military clinic visits documented in my military medical records regarding treatment for right low back, hip, leg, or knee pain (right sciatica pain) as a result of a slipping on stairs injury sustained in October 1987 while on active military service. Post military service continuity of treatment is shown on approximately 20 additional separate clinic treatment records referring to low back, hip, leg, or knee pain.
My question is do I submit my claim as a increase to my service connected Degenerative Arthritis/spondylosis of the Thoracic and Lumbar Spine or should I treat the claim as a claim for a new disability?
Also, was recently diagnosed with Cervical DDD. Would that have anything to do with my Degenerative Arthritis/spondylosis of the Thoracic and Lumbar Spine.
All help will be appreciated. Dick Hill

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

I had my visit to the spine doctor today. I tried to get him to give me a NEXUS or IMO letter connecting my current sciatic nerve pain to my slipping on stairs injury that occurred back in 1987 while still in the military. He refused to give me the NEXUS saying he does not want to get involved with the VA. Kind of strange because he is a retired naval officer. Guess I am SOOL. Guess I have to submit claim with only the active duty and post active duty medical treatment records. Dick Hill

• HadIt.com Elder

Ask for an Increase. To connect the C spine, you need a Nexus to relate it to service, Perhaps the same event that hurt your back.

Keep in mind the Nerve issues are to be rated separately so That may be a new claim?

Basser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.