Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Approved For Independent Living Program

Rate this question

COOL BREEZE

Question

I recently was approved for the VA independent living program. Counselor based this on my VA medical records. Classified me as a severely disabled Vet. So, I have put together a wish list of things that I saw some VETS have been approved and wondered what my chances are. I live in AZ and currently am at 80%. I have applied for IU and they did an in-house comp inspection of my records today. Employer has the form for not working and will fax it to them.

• Approved list for voc rehabit!
    kindle fire and case.
    bathroom modified for walker/ wheelchair access, m
    special shoes
    Raised toilet
    ramp

dental work-broken filling, cleaning!
    Other then a reacher and some bed pillows,med box-thats it!

Edited by COOL BREEZE

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

ILP provided me Temperpedic Beds for Mrs Pete also, and I got a grant that paid for remodled bathroom walkin shower with a tall toilet and some bars. Although the walk through person recommended new central a/c I did not get it.

Good luck on your list but I suggest a strategy to use in getting the stuff that is most important. In other words be prepaared to give up to get what you want or need.

My Wife was just approved to be my Caregiver thru the VA. The VA is going to update my bathroom for bathing and the potty, along with bars. My Wife just spent $3500 on a Temperpedic Bed, wished I would have known this before. I do know that the VA is not a fan of giving out the Electronics, just too expensive and does not fit into the necessity category. Good luck

I know they will automatically approve you up to 25,000! Anything over requires approval. Now my wish list has shrunk a bit, however I do need a new computer to "communicate with other Veterans." Bathroom is to small to accommodate a walker or even move around. So, a ac, new computer and remodel bath

room-thats okay. The ole saying-something better then nothing. I am preparing for radiation treatment for brain tumor shortly!