Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Infamous "whisper Test" On Separation From Active Duty.

Rate this question

tcannonsr

Question

I got a full audiology hearing test during induction in 1969. Supposedly I received a "whisper test" to determine hearing loss at my 1970 discharge. I don't remember getting any "whisper test" at discharge. I think I would have remembered having a whisper test. I'm almost certain I didn't have a whisper test and this so called whisper test was the basis for denying my VA hearing loss disability claim in 1970. I think the "whisper test" wasn't performed on many veterans and the records were falsified to indicate a whisper test was administered....and it's a shame. Anyone got any information about challenging the exit whisper tests? :sad:

Thanks Carlie for the simplification of your post and the links pertaining to 3.156c. I briefly looked at those links...and...at the present time...I am WAY over my head in dealing with the VA. I would imagine...after studying and understanding the info in those links...which obviously you have....a person would be considered an expert...which I now consider you. It will be nice to have those links as reference material. It will take me months...or years...to become proficient in the 3.156 material.

Who am I to doubt or argue with someone with 100+% disability.

Just so you and I are straight...the simplified explanation of your previous technical post...until I can get up to speed (months or years)...I would appreciate that kind of simplified version on how you explain things to me. You can make reference to stuff in 3.156 material in your simplified explanation so I can get the complicated VA version but I am a huge fan of the principle of KISS (Keep It Simple Sweetheart).

One question for you....my C file (which I haven't received yet) I suspect will have no SC medical evidence I had hearing loss up to my discharge in 1970. I had an audiology exam at induction which indicated I had no hearing loss and only a whisper test at or after discharge which the VA said I passed and was the basis for denying my 1970 VA hearing loss disability claim. In the simplest terms possibly...your opinion of what the VA will try to do...based on this info...and the VA grants my EED...reduce my rating to maybe 0%...or what?

Thanks. Have a nice day.

I think the VARO will state there was no clear and unmistakable error in the 1970 decision.

I think they will continue the effective date that they already adjudicated and continue your evaluation

for hearing loss at 20 % being that this was just awarded in the 2014 decision.

Also, just to point out - since your decision is as recent as this year (2014 - I don't know which month)

it's premature to even speculate for CUE as the decision is not final by their timeframes.

It would be real helpful tho if you were to post all of and the exact narrative from the 1970 decision

and

all of and exactly what is stated in the Reasons and bases Section of the 2014 decision.

Again, believe me - I am not an expert at this - but I was an expert in grenades.

jmho

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Thanks for all the (simplified) info Carlie (LOL). At this point in this forum, their ain't nothing anyone can offer until I get my C file. Everything hinges on that C file. I'm also still waiting on a reply on my NOD (see Carlie...I studied the abbreviations).

I will post the 1970 info from my C file when I get it. Thanks to everyone for all the contributions so far. THIS BATTLE AIN'T OVER YET!!!

Don't forget. If you have to wait over 30 days for the c-file, you can request they produce immediately by writing a letter to Office of General Counsel (027) at VACO demanding it. You will generally get it very shortly thereafter. It's much like spurring VA into action via Mandamus filings without the $50 fee. Works every time. J1VE.

clear prop!