VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rumor Has It We Finally Got 60 Percent...

Rate this topic

belle

We were finally told by the VSO's receptionist that we were granted 60%, supposedly combined rating for a few different ailments. We are expecting the SSSOC anytime now, she said we'd get it within a month with the direct deposit a couple weeks later for back pay.

The only official paperwork we have so far is a letter saying "records show you have potential entitlement to total disability based on individual unemployability..."

I am assuming that something I put in his claim about that hit a nerve somewhere and believe the secretary completely about the 60 percent rating on the way.

I plan to fill out these papers and send them in hoping to be granted 100 percent due to unemployability. I have a question about another topic tho, it has to do with additional benefits for dependents.

I saw a table showing pay due the wife and children when the rating reaches more tahn 30 percent. My question is "do I need to file something to try and claim this benefit?" or do they automatically allot it when they allot the back pay for the now 60 percent rating?

and PS - how soon does one actually get paid after being notified of the rating change and back pay due?

any info appreciated. thanks a BUNCH!! -belle

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The pay is automatic as long as the VA has the proper documentation, Birth Crertificates, Marriage Liscenses. The IU rate is same as 100 percent rate. V-1-C then add for each additional child depending on age and if in college or not. When you get the letter, Use the effective date to Qualify for Kentucky's honestead exemption and ask for some money back in taxes, Ask for the VA copays back you have paid, and file for SSDI. If you havent already, Also go to www.ky.gov and search veterans benefits. It is loaded with information.

Congrats. It is about time. I am happy for your family.

Edited by jstacy

Belle- this is great-it sounds like they are considering TDIU- was one of the forms they sent a 21-8940 form?

They usually add the dependents amount right into the check but be sure to go to the VA web site and under Comp and Pension the Rates will be there- believe me they make errors.check those rates out-

Check the retro amount carefully too.when the check comes.

In my case I always got a check in the mailbox and the expanatory letter came days later.

I got an offset error corrected and didnt know it and one day there was a big VA check in my mail box.

No one -my vet rep or anyone at VA 800# could tell me what is was for, I called VA 4 times that week and then called again Monday and the vet rep (I have known him for decades by phone) burst out laughing (I had gotten him Friday too)because he didnt know what it was for but the PC now showed they had sent me a letter.

He had laughed because I told him I had spent it all at K mart over the weekend and feared it was an overpayment.

Guess what - it was the wrong amount and three weeks later they corrected that error too- they forgot to add over 11,000 dollars more and I would not have know it but I checked the rates at the VA web site.

Their breakdown of the offset money looked so good , at first I almost believed it was right.

So-since you gave them your direct deposit info when you filed the claim-it could go into your bank any time now.

Or in the mail- I hope that they are sending the 60% and not waiting for the TDIU form-

but it is possible that they are going to do it all together.

If they do send retro for the 60% and then award TDIU, they will pay the difference.But check them on that too.

As for the dependant pay, they will not pay it unless you fill out a form, listing the dependents. When I was first rated in '96 I only had 10%. So in 2001 when I went to 40% I didn't realize that I could get more pay for my wife. I then got up to 70% in 2005, but never filed my paperwork for my dependants until sometime in 2004 when I realized the mistake. They didn't pay for the wife and kid until I filled out the paperwork. Maybe I need to pull out my new lexis nexus CD and see if that is actionable for backpay. Hmmm.