VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Will Iris Inquiry Tell Me?

Rate this question

veteran7796

Question

Will an IRIS inquiry tell me more than what the reps on the 1-800# tell me (which is nothing I cant see on E-benefits)? All they said on the 1-800# is, "your case is in the development phase, we can't tell you anything other than that". I requested a detailed status on my claim, which, according to my VSo already has a decision but for some reason is just sitting in ROE.

Thanks.

IRIS is really not a whole lot of help. If I want some status update, I'll call the VSO rep from the American Legion at the VARO. I can usually get a quicker and more adequate answer that the 1-800 number or IRIS.

I do like that if you send an IRIS to the VA, you have some written proof that you have addressed and issue or requested information. (If they put it in your C-File, but at least you have your written e-mail copies.) My own C-File copy, received in July, 2014 (after being requested in February, 2013) had a few of my IRIS questions. I do notice that if you select Service Complaint instead of Question, etc., they tend to respond quicker and will direct it to your local VARO sometimes. I've been called back a couple of times on them.

The Congressional requests/inquiries are pretty much an exercise in futility, and when you get your C-File, you can see why. They send the VA a request for status information, along with a copy of your complaint documentation to them, and then the VA sends them a standard, "We're workin' it!" response, with your name, file number, claimed conditions, etc that pretty much fill up the response sheet to give it some filler, presumably so they won't have to actually write a real narrative.

I did have success with a Presidential in getting my C-File. I became frustrated with not receiving it at all, so did an online Presidential request for my records in late May, 2014 and it arrived in July. This was after I had been previously informed that I could be looking at another 6 months before getting my file, if I was lucky. You also get a cool stationary card from the Office of the President, suitable for framing, letting you know that they are working on it. :-)

You can always try any of these. Lord knows I have. But don't hang everything on getting a response or action.

Mark

Edited by MarkInTexas