VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Flat Feet And Shin Splints

Rate this question

vet201060

Question

Is it a bad move to fight for flat feet? My MEPS physical showed I had perfect feet not flat at all. In service I gained weight and had shin splints and other problems running after 9/11 died down and we started running again. I have been seen at the VAMC and receive insoles every year for my flat feet believe also called pes planus. I worked for USPS and had walking route and had issues. This was within 1 year of getting out of service. Do I have any grounds for flat feet or am I being greedy?

I was also concerned with my shin splints. They did x-rays I believe and they were negative due to the fact I havent ran in years and dont even work out. I would have issues if I started running again. I wish I could run again. Had a friend that just got out of military within the last year and they are telling him the same thing about the shin splints.

I would appreciate any feedback from you guys!

Thanks

Edited by vet201060

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

flat feet cause all type secondary conditions especially back and knee problems I am sc

at 0% but 40%secondary back condition from flat feet. I say go for it...jmho

I agree. Get a copy of your SMRs as there could be evidence in them that will help you.

Monday I saw my podiatrist. I am a civilian, with severe pes planus and pronation.

The prescription orthotics cost me 600 bucks out of pocket. Medicare and CHAMPVA do not cover them.

I wondered ,as they were making the foot casts, if VA provides this type of orthotic. I must admit , the day I got my first pair many years ago, my daughter was due home from the Military, and I spent a few hours on my feet cooking for her, with the new orthotics in, and the next morning, for the first time in years, I woke up with no backache.

I was attributing a current reoccurring backache to weed wacking but realized it had been years since these orthos had been made. They do last a long time.But the doc showed me how far they were off. Pes planus has no cure and gets worse in time.

RUREADY is right. Flat feet can severely affect the knees, hips and back.They cause the biomechanics of the spine to get out of wack.

I posted a BVA award here years ago for a vet who started out with 10% SC for flat feet and then his SC condition progressed to the point , with affects to his knees, hips, and back , and they awarded him TDIU.

sorry double post , cant delete

Edited by Berta

I have to keep my cast of my feet and bring them in every year. I am SC for my back already at 20% which should be more. I am doped up everyday due to the pain so I can work. It is in my SMR that my feet were flat when I had issues with shins and back. My entry record show my feet as normal. I guess you have to spell it out for them. I have a hard time with motivation to submit a claim and then they want me to put it all together. I wish I had someone to represent me because I get the drive for maybe a few hours and then I cant concentrate enough to find all the records. I remember seeing them. I am not organized except for the fact that all my papers arre in a big box. I fill so drained everyday that I dont know what to do. I take over a dozen pills a day and I am in my 30's. ok dont with my rant.