VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Orthopedic

Rate this question

babyray

Question

Does the VA Prosthetic Dept gives orthopedic shoes to veterans with SC bad back

condition or any back condition?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Very good question.

I have never seen any shoeboxes at my VAMC prosthetics window, but they did have a list of approved local medical equipment vendors. I never have got shoes, but assume your VA doc would need to write an order requesting them.

My VAMC physical therapist wrote an order to get a pair of orthotic shoe inserts from prosthetics. They were the cheaper variety, but actually did help my back a bit. If you can't get any shoes, consider these. Other things I got from prosthetics to help my back are a back brace, TENS unit, heating pad, and ice packs. The VA does not go out and advertise these as being available, but instead leave it up to your doc to help identify which things are appropriate for your specific back problems.

• HadIt.com Elder

The Primary Care Doc can request it for you. If 50% or its can be connected to service condition than should get them. By the way so far I am not impressed with the shoes that are dispensed.

Thanks fellows. I had an apt with my PCP today and I ran it by her and she concurred. She wrote me an order for some orthopedic shoes. I went to the prosthetic dept and they me a apt for monday to come and get fitted for some shoes. The process work but you got to push very hard. It help when got a bunch of vets like you guys.