Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally... Bit Of A Different Success Story

Rate this topic

Tampabud

One year and two months since having service-connected surgery on my shoulder, the VA has given approval for my Physical Therapy. Yes ladies and gentlemen, 14 months after surgery, I finally get to rehab my bad shoulder thru proper physical therapy. For a bit of history regarding the shenanigans I've had to deal with, read the cliff notes below:

June 2013 - Surgery at West L.A. hospital.

1st week of July 2013 - Fee based PT requested (I live 1.5 hours from where they wanted me to go for PT)

Mid August 2013 - Follow up with care nurse regarding PT, says be patient the fee based office is swamped.

1st week of November 2013 - Approval for fee based PT comes thru (except the paperwork was missing the charge codes for the PT office to charge to) Immediately tried calling/faxing/IRIS to get the code... to no avail

1st week of January 2014 - Finally get a reply from Sepulveda fee based approval office, the original referral had expired, I needed to go back to the doc to get another referral for fee based therapy.

Mid April 2014 - Attend appt to request fee based therapy, Doogie Howser lookin' doc says expect a phone call from Triwest.

Mid August 2014 - Still nothing, no mail, no call from anyone.

August 21st, 2014 - Second C&P exam, Doctor Harvey can't believe how long the process has taken. The next day I get a phone call from a boss at Sepulveda regarding my PT. I get a profuse apology and direct numbers to several "bosses" and am recommended to see patient advocate.

August 27th 2014 - I JUST RECEIVED MY FEE BASED APPROVAL LETTER WITH THE PROPER CODES FOR PT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TampaBud:

This is totally unaccpetable at some many levels and I'm sorry that you have to got thru this? I believe there needs to be a better mechanism which alerts the folks making the referals and appoinmtnets for vets like yourself that the clock is ticking at each stage as you are awaiting care. It seems like folks are just loosing track or something like that? My experience has been that most of the people that do this sort of work do care, it's just the "system" as it is designed that creates the problems? So, I think a good part of the focus should be to include actual vets in the design process for the scheduling software and systems. I have a 70% tear of my right shoulder rotor cuff that needs to be repaired and I'm not sure I want to go thru what you have gone thru?

My experience has been miserable. Not only was it a "failed" surgery, the post-care (as posted above) has been non-existent and I am STILL waiting for my rating increase claim. I have had two subsequent C&P exams for my shoulder, and they have yet to make a decision regarding my claim. I have very limited movement of my left arm, which is also my dominant side.... I am still rated as 10% for shoulder sprain and bicep tendonitis.

It has also resulted in a lot of pain for me... my only recommendation to you is if you decide to go thru with the surgery, pray you live close to where the VA does the PT.... AND MAKE EVERY APPT. Listen to the PT therapist and do not overdo anything. This was my second shoulder surgery so I knew what had to be done. I am unable to sleep most nights at this point, and have panic attacks when the sharp pain catches me off-guard.

An example? This morning I put the milk back in the fridge using my RIGHT arm... for whatever reason, I felt a twinge in my left shoulder and then extreme agonizing pain that startles me every time. I let out an audible AAAAHH then make every effort to recover and gather myself. It is embarrassing when it happens in front of other people. Oooh, forgot to mention I've had TWO shoulder surgeries on the right side.

The recovery period is lengthy, it will take over a year to get things back to semi-normal... but speaking from experience (three shoulder surgeries at this point) things will never be the same.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use