VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Shoe Inserts

Rate this question

intel75

Question

I was prescribed orthotics for both shoes by my S/C right ankle VA orthopedic doctor. I was wearing out the insides of my shoes. I currently wear knee braces on both S/C knees, where do I claim the inserts on, body part?

6 answers to this question

It sounds like you have either pronation or supination of the feet caused by the knee disability.

I am not a vet and have severe pronation.

I describe it to church members as an ankle problem, because I cannot stand up for all the singing we do.

But orthotics are prescribed for more detailed causes than 'ankle problems' and if you go to the VA Schedule of Ratings link here at hadit, I think they will have a section specifically on foot issues to include ankles ,or arch, and heel problems.

You should definitely claim this , but as a specific disability and use the medical terms in your med recs for it.

Hopefully the ortho doc has already made a statement in your records as to the cause for the orthonic prescription.

It is hard for me to guess any rating ...that would be found in the VA SRD.

Pronation and supination can be caused by back and/or knee problems, and vice versa.

I just had a casting done for new orthos and was surprised how far off the older ones had become.I was walking up with backaches and thought it was due to weed wacking but it was the ortho problem.

I see you are 70% now. Are you employed?

reasonn I ask is because I always think of TDIU potential with a 70% SC award.

Berta, I am retired. I used to work part time but had to give it up as i stood on my feet all day. I will check the Cfr's for pronation and supination. I just ordered more inserts and my VAMC ankle doctors saw my shoes. Don't know what tdiu is but I can look it up. Thanks for the good info

Intel,

I need to know this too. I am SC for Knees and hopefully soon for back. I was ordered the inserts as the VA Chiro Doc stated that my Knee and Back Problems was causing me to have flat feet, due to making up for the other issues. I am 6'3 and only weigh 185 so I know that it was not due to my weight.

TDIU- Total Disability due to Individual Unemployability.

If a veteran's SC disability (regardless of what rating they have) completely hinders their ability to attain gainful employment, they should apply for TDIU ( paid at the 100% rate of comp)

We have lots of good into on TDIU here.

The fastest claim I ever helped with many years ago locally involved a Vietnam vet who had only private med records and an SSDI award solely for PTSD and no SC rating at all.

I sent him theTDIU form via another vet I was helping and within a few months he was awarded TDIU for PTSD.

These days that wont work anymore, because of the VA MH provision regarding PTSD diagnosis in the 2010 PTSD regulations