Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vietnam-Liver Fluke Parasite Award

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Our long time member and advocate Mike Harris ( Mekong Delta -Rivervine Forces and Pointman Ministries) emailed me of an unusual VA award. This is from the email, he got from another Vietnam Veteran:

"I read the doctor column in the newspaper. Recently, someone wrote about a VN vet that died recently of Chloangiocarcinoma, a rare cancer of the bile duct. He was a Riverine that evidently had a liver fluke that caused the cancer after all these years. This cancer evidently doesn't give symptoms until it's too late. Anyway, there is a blood test called CA 19-9, CEA or doing an endoscopy.”

I researched the BVA and found what I think might be the actual award...not sure yet... and havent heard back from Mike yet as to if this is the case:

"Mike .........Long time no see!!!!!

Not sure but this might be the widow's claim.

In part:

"Evidence of record since the RO's August 2005 rating decision includes several medical treatise articles and testimony from the appellant. An article from The Cholangiocarcinoma Foundation explains that cholangiocarcinoma arises from the bile duct. It is noted that adenocarcinoma and cholangiocarcinoma are similar terms for the same disorder. Primary cholangiocarcinoma is described as a "rare" disease which is more common in Asia and the Middle East due to a liver fluke parasite that infected the bile duct and caused cancer to form."

"Although the service records do not directly document exposure to river liver flukes, the Board finds that a reasonable inference can be drawn that the Veteran consumed local raw or uncooked fish at some point during one year tour of duty in Vietnam. Resolving reasonable doubt in favor of the Veteran, the Board finds that the Veteran is deemed to have been likely exposed to the liver fluke parasite while serving in the Republic of Vietnam during the Vietnam Era. "

ORDER

The claim of entitlement to service connection for the cause of the Veteran's death is reopened and granted on the merits.

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp11/Files5/1144474.txt

Great info which I will pass along at hadit, if OK with you.....(I wont post any personal email addy there, just that the info is from you.)" and added some chit chat....
----------------------

I wonder how many Vietnam veterans might have been exposed to the liver fluke parasite. Obviously it can have long term deadly consequences.The vet above whose email to Mike is what Mike sent to me,, asked the VA to give him the blood test he mentioned ( CA 19-9 )but I havent heard anything else on that yet from Mike.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Definitely top grade.

Apparently, parasites may very well have a link to cancer developing later in life. I searched the site, but did not find any references to it, so I just posted the topic here:

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.