VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Going Off Topic

Rate this topic

Kind of going of topic with this post or question in this topic section because I didn't know where to ask this.

My Medicare begins on October 1, 2014. I've been doing a lot of research to find a medigap policy. Well I am finding that is out of the question because of the premium prices. $300-$600 is unaffordable even with my income from the VA and SSDI.

But I did find better Medicare through an insurance's PPO rather than the governments Medicare Insurance. Example is with a PCP you only pay $5 copay but with the government you pay 20%.

Can anybody tell me why is it better to use these insurance companies like this? I am finding its better overall. Why is the government so harsh on the medicare recipients like this?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you mean Medicare Advantage? The Medicare Advantage has either a PPO or is an HMO that is why it is cheaper. They watch costs better than Medicare. Medicare administrative costs are nil. Nobody at Medicare is really watching the cash register very well. Original Medicare denied some of the charges I had for my cutting edge OSA surgery just because they have never seen those kind of charges before and assume they are "not medically necessary". I kept my insurance from my job to cover my wife and I after i retired. It costs me $445 a month which is really a good deal, but still blows a hole in my crummy federal pension. I will keep this insurance until my wife gets medicare and then with ChampVA we won't need it.

Will Obama Care not afford you anything in your situation. I think it is pretty awful a 100% vet has to have full coverage due to poor quality of VA care. Disgrace and shame on the VA. VA has denied me treatment at least twice and I had to use private doctors.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

I use USAA plan F;; 800-531-8722 as a gap insurance to Medicare, mine is $516.88 every 1/4 yours may be less.

i have been in the hospital 4 times now and not had to pay anything and i also use the VA for simple things like

a stub toe that is if it an't to bad.

• HadIt.com Elder

Speaking of stub toes I would not trust the VA to fix an ingrown toenail. You could get a staff infection and lose your leg. I kid you not! I have insurance as part of my pension from the USPS. It is good, but considering that medicare is primary my BC/BS is expensive as hell. They pay for yearly deductible and all copays, but even so I pay over $5000 a year for this, but I must because it covers my wife as primary and ChampVA as secondary and is very good insurance.

The fact that the VA gets away with forcing us to have private insurance from our fear of poor and dangerous conditions at the VA is a scandal. I am fed up with it. It will be my hobby as retired vet on deathbed to hound the VA about this until either I die or find a better hobby. The care we get is substandard in every respect especially for those of us with chronic conditions like DMII or any of the AO diseases. I don't get the sort of dental, eye, foot, heart or neurological care I should be getting from the VA. One dental exam every two year??????? No frequent eye exams and I could go on and on with these lapses. Their excuses just don't cut it. We should take action. I am recovering from surgery now, but I will be back on my feet soon. So many of us treated so miserably for so long.

John