VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Eye Floaters/chronic Watery Eyes

Rate this question

Navy4life

Question

Hello and I hope everyone is well.

I currently have a claim in for bilateral eye floaters as well as bilateral chronic watery eyes. I had my C&P exam back in July 2013 with an outside (QTC) eye doctor and I went through the exam. If I remember correctly he told me that I had floaters.

What are they? I know when I was on AD and my one job was working on the fueling barge I had numerous occasions with fuel splash in my eyes (noted in SMR) and lately my vision has been concerning me.

I have yet to be rated or denied for these contentions as they were "deferred" for medical opinion.

Is this a rating? If so can someone point me to the rating chart?

When I went to see my DAV rep back in May 2013 he added these contentions based on my SMR records.

Thank you

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/benign-eye-floaters

The VA Schedule of Disability Ratings here could possibly give rating info.

But these are usually benign .If you feel they are due to the fuel exposure , that might be a cause but will need a strong opinion on that and they might not even be at a ratable level.

However, I used a VA eye exam entry as to floaters to prove a misdiagnosed diabetes claim.I had plenty of additional evidence as well as to major visual disturbances.

In that case they were a symptom of manifestations of untreated dmii.

Floaters are small flecks of protein called collagen. They appear as dark spots on your retina. You need to watch out for any changes in your eyes, especially white streaks of light or a shadow starting to cover your eyes. This could be a sign of a detached or torn retina and could lead to blindness if not treated promptly.

I had bilateral floaters and then started seeing white streaks or flashes of light. A few days later I experienced a shadow or black veil starting to cover my left eye. I called my son, who is a retina surgeon in Tennessee, and made him aware of the black veil partially covering my eye. My son immediately contacted a retina surgeon colleague in Georgia and I was told to get myself to the hospital immediately. I had emergency eye surgery that night to repair a detached and torn retina in my left eye. This happened on a Friday night. The eye surgeon told me if I had waited until Monday before going to the eye doctor, I would have probably lost my central vision in my left eye. Do not take any chances. Pay attention to any changes in your eyes. JMO

Good luck to you.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Good advice.

I had my eye exam last year and the doc said I had a single floater, but I noticed nothing. They said they tend to be common in people over 40, but informed me of the risk mentioned by georgiapapa. They said to visibly check my eyes monthly and see a doc if I notice any changes is my vision or by looking in the mirror. So far, no problems. Hope it stays that way.