VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Truth About Dr. Bash

Rate this question

Guest morgan

Question

Guest morgan

I have been away from Hadit for a while, but I just read a recent topic about Dr. Bash and I want to provide facts, not conjecture, about the value of his IMOs to disabled veterans. The attached letter from the office of Deputy Secretary of Veterans Affairs acknowledges the importance of his medical opinion (calling his medical opinions “extremely valuable and necessary”). It will also dispel any notion (as implied in the recent Hadit post) that Dr. Bash is self-serving in reviewing tons of medical records and C-files to provide an accurate medical opinion for veterans. One can see in this letter that he even takes time to try to correct problems within the VA claims process. Make no mistake; Dr. Bash is a friend to veterans. He should get awards, not bashing, for his rare and endless dedication to helping veterans.

While I certainly agree with Berta that a veteran needs a medical "hired gun" and anything else he or she can muster to fight the VA, this disparaging comment and certainly, the inference that Dr. Bash is self-serving, was unfair and inaccurate.

Contrary to the hired gun statement (written in a highly negative context--and worse, framed as coming from higher ups “in Washington”), the deputy secretary’s letter sets the record straight, completely negating the quoted opinion of the “mystery people” in Washington. Assuming the comment in the other hadit post is true, it certainly seems that some in VA's rank and file might be misinformed...or reckless.

Dr. Bash is and has been a tremendous friend to thousands of veterans with their claims. On my husband’s part, the first increase to 100% was won in five weeks, and the second in two months, largely because of Dr. Bash's thorough review of his file--so noted in the rating decision. The medical evidence was there to support the claims, but I didn't know what to look for, and the service officers I found didn't help at all. Dr. Bash guided me in composing the claims. (The legal details, Hadit inspired me to research--thanks Berta, Alex and all other wonderful Hadit experts!)

Dr. Bash is always open to re-reviewing any claim/decision/SSOC/outside medical opinion(s) in order to do a new/addended report during the appeals process. Where else can a veteran find that? If a veteran is not happy with any part of the IMO, or just doesn't understand something, Dr. Bash will always discuss it. He did for us. Just call him; he told me he WANTS veterans to be persistent in contacting him when necessary. (Obviously, unnecessary calls just slow his progress in working on IMOs.) And by the way, ask yourself when you last had any other doctor's cell number! Dr. Bash provides his private phone numbers for veterans around the world.

Yes, he does charge a fee for follow-up letters, but remember, his opinions are based on 13 years of post-college medical education and 22 years as a physician. Any inference that he is in it solely for the money is laughable. If you have been to a private doctor lately, take a look at the bill for FIVE to FIFTEEN MINUTES of his or her time. Without question, Dr. Bash could make much more money elsewhere in the medical profession with the time he devotes to IMOs for veterans. Think about it, how many large-volume files can one person review in a week?

As far as Dr. Bash not starting a review without money up front, of course he doesn't do that. If he provided IMOs that way, the VA would not view his opinion as unbiased. I think doctors who would do business like that originated the term "doctor shopping." Personally, if Dr. Bash had agreed to accept payment from us after a win, even I would have questioned his motive. (I'm used to paying professionals for their time and knowledge. Generally, the more they know, the more I pay.) He did, however, work out payment arrangements with us before starting. We sold a second car to pay him, and his IMO was worth every penny.

The bashing that went on here went way past a search for feedback, or just posting a personal opinion. At best, it was gossip and could have harmed veterans who might have been inclined to seek Dr. Bash's help had they not read the "in Washington" remark. This garbage should never have been posted on Hadit. Hadit is here to provide help for veterans, and Dr. Bash works hard to help as many veterans as he can. I am married to one who will be forever grateful that he found a place in Dr. Bash's schedule. So will the Navy veteran who recently won a 100% schedular rating for asbestos-exposure. He and his wife were barely getting by financially; in fact, they were already in bankruptcy proceedings. Now a ton of financial stress is gone as the veteran fights horrible lung disease and bladder cancer. I helped this veteran on the admin part of the claim, so I saw Dr. Bash's thorough medical input. I am thrilled Dr. Bash was there for them.

As for me, Dr. Bash and his IMOs are priceless. But I'll go with "extremely valuable and necessary."

Carrie

mansfield_letter.doc

Edited by morgan

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest jangrin

Hi ya'll,

Ya know I just went and had new tires put on my car. Ya know what .....those tire people, there in it for the money.

My son just got a tooth filled at the dentist last Friday..Ya know that dentist he wanted a credit card or cash..ya know what he's in it for the money...

I got groceries the other day and aked them if I could pay payments..they said no...they must be in it for the money.

I bought a house this week and ya know what those bankers they want me to put a down payment and make payments for 30 years and not pay much on the priciple for the first 15 ...they are in it for the money.

I went to the college and they didn't let me in for free they made me pay for my books and tuition..they must be in it for the money.

I got my property tax bill this month for the next six months...they actually want me to give them money ahead of time....ya know I think there in this business for the money.

GIVE ME A BREAK.....EVERYONE IS IN IT FOR THE MONEY...DO YOU WORK FOR FREE?..I would never expect anyone to work for free (especially someone who spent 12 to 15 years in college and medical school). I just paid a guy $4500.00 to work one and a half days to repair some "DRY ROT" in my house that I just sold. If I can pay that kind of money to a carpenter's helper I can certainly pay Dr. Bash for a REPORT THAT WILL PROVIDE AN INCOME TO ME AND MY FAMILY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

Lets get a grip here, people expect to get paid. Some of these files are 30 years worth of medical info, that someone is suppose to review (like Dr. Bash or like the VA rater). How much would you expect to be paid to cull through all the medical records in one file and then write a determination. I sure wouldn't work for free and I can tell you, I WORK FOR THE MONEY :rolleyes: >, just like every other person I know. I also GIVE my time free to various groups I feel need a helping hand. Dr. Bash has a wife and three kids to support why would anyone think that he should work for FREE.

Jangrin

• HadIt.com Elder

Dr Bash is cheap in relation to what you get. A Lawyer would want 20% of your back pay and there is plenty for most of us.

Well said, Jangrin.

Of course Dr. Bash went into medicine with a goal of high income, and he probably intended to increase his income over the years or he wouldn't have kept going to school. But my point was he could make a lot more money in medicine if he didn't spend so much time with veterans' files. As I said, I just don't believe he is helping veterans solely for the money. For instance, he could easily write a medical opinion without taking time to learn VA regs and policy, yet he is extremely diligent about staying current with VA changes and goings on. My husband's NSO told me Dr. Bash even has taken time out to go to service organizations training sessions to teach them from a medical perspective how to help veterans. I believe he does it because he respects veterans -- and because he knows many veterans have to fight a lot of crap and he happens to be in a position to help when few other doctors will.

Dr. Bash will always be tops in my book, and I hope he always has it in his heart to help veterans.

Carrie- did Dr. Bash give you a copy of this letter or was it printed on the net somewhere?

Reason I ask- my vet reps never heard of him-(talk about having a head in the sand)

and although they said they supported his IMO to the DRO- the documentation from the DRO indicates they never even mentioned his first IMO. The VA is finally reviewing both of his IMOs now.

They didnt seem to believe me when I said he was well known in the VA community.

I sure would love to send them a copy of this letter. Was it with his CV? Thanks, Berta

Well said, Jangrin.

Of course Dr. Bash went into medicine with a goal of high income, and he probably intended to increase his income over the years or he wouldn't have kept going to school. But my point was he could make a lot more money in medicine if he didn't spend so much time with veterans' files. As I said, I just don't believe he is helping veterans solely for the money. For instance, he could easily write a medical opinion without taking time to learn VA regs and policy, yet he is extremely diligent about staying current with VA changes and goings on. My husband's NSO told me Dr. Bash even has taken time out to go to service organizations training sessions to teach them from a medical perspective how to help veterans. I believe he does it because he respects veterans -- and because he knows many veterans have to fight a lot of crap and he happens to be in a position to help when few other doctors will.

Dr. Bash will always be tops in my book, and I hope he always has it in his heart to help veterans.

As I stated my surprise before in a comment, "what is it with you people who can not accept negative comments about Bash." And Jangrin, if you like analogies, do you like spinach? Like all spinach it is good for you, right? None will kill you. We are talking about Bash and my opinion of him, not your tire salesman. How do you know the tireman was not worried about your safety on the road.

Yes, Bash works for money, thank you for admitting it. I thought maybe you and some think Bash is a saviour here to save the Veteran's claim. According to Carrie (Morgan) we can not win without him.

It is a shame that some simple minded or closed minded people cannot accept my opinion of him and feel you MUST try to degrade me for voicing mine. Most of you are the same people who think the VA is the devil and out to cheat you. GROW UP AND OPEN YOUR MINDS. I THOUGHT THIS WAS A BOARD FOR DISCUSSIONS AND OPINIONS WHERE THEY WERE ACCEPT FOR THE HONESTY. Some small people can't seem to accept that. It seems you view one side and ONLY ONE SIDE. I've seen 2 cases of success for Bash and many comments from people who have not used him I accept their opinions even though I disagree with them. For Bash to have it in his heart to help Veterans is an assumption. To save he has some Veterans money in his pocket is a true statement.

I have talked to Bash, paid $2000 for his IMO and did not get what I was promised. I feel it was poorly written and it was listed on my evidence used statement from the VA with no other reference. I still have old emails from him I referred back to as to verify my statements.

MY OPINION OF BASH IS ONE OF DISRESPECT. ACCEPT MY OPINION OR GET OVER IT AND QUIT WHINING. GO BUILD YOUR ALTAR FOR HIM IF YOU LIKE!

I have only responded to those who felt it necessary to abase me and downgrade my oopinion of Bash. Any comments stated are to them and no others on this board. I respect the Veterans who served (like myself) so me and others can voice our opinions.

Some people have the mentality of " you called my friend a name because of something he did to you so I'm going to call you names because yada, yada,yada.