Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Let Congress Know Now!

Rate this topic

ping jockey

Hello:

Tbird, this should probably be posted elsewhere, and I'll leave that up to you.

DAV, like most Veteran Organizations are very good. Recently, I got this email from the DAV National Commander, where we need to let Congress "know" we can't/won't tolerate them dragging their feet. So, sing DAV's let to the entire Congress here:

Veterans should never be victims of Capitol Hill inaction or government shutdowns. One bill can guarantee veterans their benefits - no matter what. But Congress must act by year-end. Help us bring this vital measure to a vote, before time runs out by signing this petition: http://bit.ly/vetfunding

DAV and a coalition of America's leading veterans and military service organizations have been pushing Congress to pass legislation that would shield all veterans' programs, services and benefits from budget gimmicks, partisan politics and government shutdowns. The Putting Veterans Funding First Act (S. 932 / H.R. 813) does that by ensuring the Department of Veterans Affairs' (VA) budgets are fully funded at the beginning of every year.

Currently, the budget for veterans' programs and benefits is being held in limbo and is set to run out on December 11th. This is the 23rd time in 26 years that VA's full budget is late. Enough is enough!

In the Senate, this bipartisan legislation has the support of Veterans' Affairs Committee Chairman Bernie Sanders and Budget Committee Chairman Patty Murray, and Majority Leader Harry Reid has promised to hold a vote on the bill this year. In the House, Veterans' Affairs Committee Chairman Jeff Miller and House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan both support the bill, yet nothing has moved forward. We need your help to make sure that the Senate holds that vote, and that the legislation passes.

Please add your support by signing this petition: http://bit.ly/vetfunding

As always, thank you for your grassroots advocacy as a participant in DAV's Commanders' Action Network. Your commitment and activism makes DAV a more effective organization in Washington, D.C.

Happy Thankgiving to all,

PJ

Just signed the petition. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

• HadIt.com Elder

I I think we should take it a few steps down the road. We have a right to petition our government by gathering and protesting the injustices of VA mismanagement and negligence. Neither the DAV nor VFW will ever organized protests at our VARO's or VAMC's. The public needs to know we have the courage and knowledge to fight for our rights. The people protesting about the shooting of the Black Teenager get the headlines and vets get backseat. We don't have to burn and loot,. but we need to organize. One of the greatest impacts of protest during the Vietnam War was when vets marched by the capital and returned their medals.

First off I think we should protest arbitrary 40 miles distance from VA facility to get Fee Base Care. Any vet who wants it should be able to get it. Today I must drive 25 miles in down pours to get to facility 25 miles away. If I lived 15 miles farther away I could get this care from doctor in my local area and not have to hump through dangerous traffic. I have had to wait years sometimes for dental and vision care. Only within last few months after many trips to congressman's office did I get referral to doctors within my immediate area. If we wait for DAV, AL and VFW to fix these problems I will be in cemetery before any of this happens.

John

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use