Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi - Vocational Expert Opinion

Rate this question

K9MAL

Question

A very good friend of mine had her SSDI hearing this morning concerning ulcerative colitis and her ability to work. She stated that the vocational expert replied to the judge that she could no longer work in her previous jobs and that she wouldn't be hirable in the present job market and economy due to her disease and how it affects her.

To me, this sounds favorable, but I don't know much about SSDI. I know it's speculative but would this be considered a good indicator of a favorable decision?

Second question: She had to stop working 4 years ago but didn't file until 2 years ago due to not knowing about SSDI as it related to ulcerative colitis. Her attorney submitted something asking for the earlier date for backpay but would 4 years backpay be feasible? Is there any sort of time limit? What do the experts say here at hadit?

Thank you so much to hadit and it's members. You are an invaluable asset to veterans and their loved ones.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If the Voc Expert said that, then I believe it is a done deal.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

If the Voc Expert said that, then I believe it is a done deal.

That's what I was thinking too. Hopefully she doesn't have to wait very long for a decision.

Yes, it sounds very favorable that the vocational expert said that.

As to the other question, I don't think they would go back 4 years, but 3 years would be feasible. If she applied two years ago, they should be able to go a back a year prior to when she filed. Keep in mind she will have the waiting period (which will already be "served"). The lawyer will probably try to show she was disabled longer than just when she applied.

That will also help her be eligible for Medicare sooner.

Here is a bit of information about the time frame:

http://www.ssdrc.com/disabilityquestions2-84.html

Edited by free_spirit_etc
Think Outside the Box!

I'm trying to figure out a ballpark backpay for my friend but I'm not sure what the right figure would be. I used the SSA Calculator and came up with $1210 per month for her alone. However, she also has 2 young children and a husband so I believe she would max out her family benefit at $2687.

Do the dependents count in the backpay figures? From what I've read they do so I came up with the numbers below. Does this sound correct or am I in left field?

If the numbers I'm using are correct and the backpay was for only 24 months (when she filed) the backpay would be $64k.

However, if her attorney can get her the 17 months prior to that (1 year back plus the 5 month wash) then it comes out to $97k. Would that be right?

Edited by K9MAL