VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertnsion. Must It Be Diagnosed In Service, Ro Thinks So

Rate this question

Guest jstacy

Question

Treated for Hypertension in Service. Claim denied in 1994 due to no service records available. Reopen claim denied in 1999 with request to use Service records as evidence. SSOC stated no treatment. complaints, no diagnosis of Hypertension in service.

Filed NOD after the VCAA took effect, received another SSOC. This time the reasons and basis showed the following>

138/72 entrance exam

114/72 1week later

134/98 1year later

140/88 1year later

142/102 17 mos later

138/100 Taken during reserve service.

First post service readings were

152/102 Htn was diagnosed. 8mos after discharge

146/104 next day

140/98 5mos later.

I was was wondering if anyone sees any chronicity here. According to the previous RO there was none. Am I the backwoods hillbilly this guy thought I was.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Treated for Hypertension in Service. Claim denied in 1994 due to no service records available. Reopen claim denied in 1999 with request to use Service records as evidence. SSOC stated no treatment. complaints, no diagnosis of Hypertension in service.

Filed NOD after the VCAA took effect, received another SSOC. This time the reasons and basis showed the following>

138/72 entrance exam

114/72 1week later

134/98 1year later

140/88 1year later

142/102 17 mos later

146/104 next day

140/98 5mos later.

I was was wondering if anyone sees any chronicity here. According to the previous RO there was none. Am I the backwoods hillbilly this guy thought I was.

Jstacy,

You know the drill - take all the BP data to either your VA primary or an outside doc for an IMO and have the doc write the chronicity nexus from today back to the SMR BP readings. You want an "As likely as it is not."

Go get 'em!

Objee

• HadIt.com Elder
138/72 entrance exam

114/72 1week later

134/98 1year later

140/88 1year later

142/102 17 mos later

146/104 next day

140/98 5mos later.

John,

I only see two normal readings the first one and the second one and after that the diastolic is sky high.

Who do they think they are kidding?

I wouldn't think that you would need to pay for an IMO for something so obvious. Any private doctor can see this one!

They will have to give you your retro- pay on this one, but it isn't fair, how the Va is doing everyone!

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

Josephine, The RO has this information because he sent it to me. There is a Private report that diagnosed Hypertension 8 months after service. Being 21 years old I did not know the system. By the way if you come across a medical record and there is the abbreviation DX or dx ,It means diagnosis.

That was the onset of my problems, I have severe Disabling Hypertension Now and I have moderate to severe arterisclerosis or CAD as a result.

The disease is reaking hovac on the body: headaches, Blurred Vision, sustained tachycardia, Angina, Shortness of breath combined with a paralyzed left hemidiaphragm really makes it hard to take a deep breath.

• HadIt.com Elder

When I was at Ft Benning we had a guy who fell out of every march we did. After the first time they must have known something was up but they risked his life over and over until, finally, after keeling over for the 10th time they discharged him. This was when they had a draft so they must have thought that losing a draftee was no big deal. Just a quick telegram to the folks back home telling them your kid is dead. Getting a IMO may seem like overkill but you would be surprised at how dumb they can be when it comes to granting compensation.

What sent me off the deep end was the fact that the post service records (actually in the posession of the RO at the time of the decision) contained a diagnosis of Essential Hypertension. That is what I based the Cue claim on. The fact that the RO missapplied the regs on rating this claim. This just goes to show even with a slam dunk the referees can still change a play with some type of bogus call.

Edited by jstacy