VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vet's Suicide Being Investigated

Rate this question

Berta

Question

This happened recently- I have not seen anything about the care he was getting at VA and this article suggests his suicide was to make a statement.

I wonder if he had been denied enough psychiatric care. The FBI is investigating this as it happened on federal property-right at the VA.

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/15785622.htm

It makes me wonder too about the lack of emergency care at some VA's after a certain time-like after 4:30- that we discussed recently.

On the police scanner there have been three calls to the same home in another town in the past 5-6 weeks due to a vet saying he would commit suicide.

I heard the ambulance and the police respond today and they took him over to the local VAMC.

But their stress ward was closed years ago (at least the shrinks were still at work-it was about 3 PM)and I also heard -can anyone confirm this?- that the psychiatric ward at Canandaigua VAMC is closing in November.

I wonder where this vet will go in the future for extensive care.

Canandaigua VAMC is the only other close VAMC in this area. They were talking about shutting the whole place down 3-4 years ago but the vets really protested.The hospital has had problems but they seem to have excellent psychiatric care available.

This vet had three possible suicide attempt ambulance calls in such a short period of time- it bothers me that

it seems nothing is being done for him.

This time the 911 caller said he had loaded up his weapons-which he never did before.

It just makes me really wonder just what care a suicidal veteran can really get around these parts.

Maybe the VA is not taking these 911 calls seriously and the result of that could be deadly.At least there appears to be someone with him to make the 911 calls. I sure think this person should be pressuring the VA to do more for him.

Someone should remove the weapons too.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Berta:

I just posted my own rant a few minutes ago. It makes me wonder. I have the label of having borderline personality traits since being treated here at the VAMC at Fayetteville, AR. It is intersting to note that one of the things borderline types tend to do is demand attention & even make suicidal gestures if it suits their purpose. In my case, I think the VAMC here, is going out of their way not to document anything in my case that may justify a rise in disablity.

Also, I have been told by the woman's care coordinator here that I am the only woman vet who has complained about her care at mental health. Just my way of trying to be special, I guess. Also I am no longer allowed to talk to the patient rep at Fayetteville; if I have a problem or complaint, I get to talk to the women care coordinator.....What ever.

Just my thoughts.

Liz

• HadIt.com Elder

Liz,

I believe that all women vets are branded as having an histrionic personality. The Center of Attention. I have yet to see one male get labeled with this.

histrionic personality disorder (HPD), or hysterical personality disorder, is a personality disorder which involves a pattern of excessive emotional expression and attention-seeking, including an excessive need for approval and inappropriate seductiveness, that usually begins in early adulthood.

The essential feature of the histrionic personality disorder is a pervasive and excessive pattern of emotionality and attention-seeking behavior. These individuals are lively, dramatic, enthusiastic, and flirtatious. They may be inappropriately sexually provocative, express strong emotions with an impressionistic style, and be easily influenced by others.

The cause of this disorder is unknown, but childhood events and genetics may both be involved. It occurs more frequently in women than in men, although some feel it is simply more often diagnosed in women because attention-seeking and sexual forwardness is less socially acceptable for women.[citation needed] The Histrionic Personality Disorder is only rarely found in men. However, in these instances there may be additional difficulties with regard to this person's sexual identification.

People with this disorder are usually able to function at a high level and can be successful socially and at work. However, histrionic personality disorder may affect a person's social or romantic relationships or their ability to cope with losses or failures. People with this disorder may seek treatment for depression when romantic relationships end. They often fail to see their own situation realistically, instead tending to dramatize and exaggerate. Responsibility for failure or disappointment is usually blamed on others. They may go through frequent job changes, as they become easily bored and have trouble dealing with frustration. Because they tend to crave novelty and excitement, they may place themselves in risky situations. All of these factors may lead to greater risk of developing depression.

This is where they have placed me.

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

Josephine:

Yep, that is another label they have put on me too.. :blink: Wonder if it is all the mini skirts & low-cut tops I wear to my appointments???I didn't realize that asking for health care was being histrionic.

• HadIt.com Elder

Liz,

I went for my C&P wearing a pair of red slacks and a plain shirt and the lady shrink said that I had a disheavled look. I had to look that one up in the dictionary. You may already know, but it meant, kind of unkept look.

What did they expect, I had to go 140 miles to be there by 8:00 and in the middle of a rain storm.

Actually, she was as ugly as a mud fence. I don't know where you are from, but that may be my southern slang coming out.

Then she ended up giving me a personality histrionic.

The psychaitrist need to go to one far more than we do.

It was a no win situation.

Always,

Josephine

This happened recently- I have not seen anything about the care he was getting at VA and this article suggests his suicide was to make a statement.

I wonder if he had been denied enough psychiatric care. The FBI is investigating this as it happened on federal property-right at the VA.

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/15785622.htm

It makes me wonder too about the lack of emergency care at some VA's after a certain time-like after 4:30- that we discussed recently.

On the police scanner there have been three calls to the same home in another town in the past 5-6 weeks due to a vet saying he would commit suicide.

I heard the ambulance and the police respond today and they took him over to the local VAMC.

But their stress ward was closed years ago (at least the shrinks were still at work-it was about 3 PM)and I also heard -can anyone confirm this?- that the psychiatric ward at Canandaigua VAMC is closing in November.

I wonder where this vet will go in the future for extensive care.

Canandaigua VAMC is the only other close VAMC in this area. They were talking about shutting the whole place down 3-4 years ago but the vets really protested.The hospital has had problems but they seem to have excellent psychiatric care available.

This vet had three possible suicide attempt ambulance calls in such a short period of time- it bothers me that

it seems nothing is being done for him.

This time the 911 caller said he had loaded up his weapons-which he never did before.

It just makes me really wonder just what care a suicidal veteran can really get around these parts.

Maybe the VA is not taking these 911 calls seriously and the result of that could be deadly.At least there appears to be someone with him to make the 911 calls. I sure think this person should be pressuring the VA to do more for him.

Someone should remove the weapons too.

During then"s, at least twice a year for over a decade, vets shot themselves, in front of the flag pole, at the Albq. New Mexico VA. That was before computers, put all of us in touch with one another. ( I sure did come close of being one of them), that is before I found hadit and realized I was not alone in all of this.

Oh yeah, for a while, it was not even newsworthy. With all the new war vets coming home, wonder how long till it starts, again. Who knows, it probably has.

During then"s, at least twice a year for over a decade, vets shot themselves, in front of the flag pole, at the Albq. New Mexico VA. That was before computers, put all of us in touch with one another. ( I sure did come close of being one of them), that is before I found hadit and realized I was not alone in all of this.

Oh yeah, for a while, it was not even newsworthy. With all the new war vets coming home, wonder how long till it starts, again. Who knows, it probably has.

Just re- read my post, that all happened during the late 80's and most of the 1990's.

It just wasn't in New Mexico, it happened all over the place. It was one of the main reason, that I stayed away, from the VA for decades.

I recall one PT,when I was working at the Brooke Army Medical Center ER, here in San Antonio, that shot himself, in the head with a 45 cal. in front of the VA here, someone drove him 15 miles, to our ER. He did live for a few days. That was around 1985. It didn't make the locale news here, either. Damnest thing. right across the street from the VAMC, is a level 1 TRAUMA center. At least we kept him alive, long enough for his two daughters to get here. Oh yeah, one other thing I recall, both daughters appeared to living very well, plus they where both, hell of wheels. I felt sorry for they're husbands, even though I was only exposed to them for several min.