Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do I Go From 100% To 100% P & T?

Rate this question

cragwex

Question

Hello to all, If anyone can help out I would appreciate it. I retired from the Navy in 2007 and was rated at 70% a few mos later. After a NOD I got my rating increased to 80% because they clumped a few ratings together. In 2012 I filed for an increase of 5 of my ratings. After a botched C & P exam where I only received an increase of one of my rating from 10% to 20% I requested that the RO review my claim. Another C & P exam was ordered for April in 2014 in which the results were me going from 80% to 100%. My report says that I am scheduled for a reduction in 2018 which I hear is normal. What I dont understand is why they think the 3 things I am to get re-examined for are things that won't improve; instability of left and right knee and degenerative disk disease in my lower back. And I am actually about to send an FDC claim off through my VSO in Newington CT. It's for bi-lateral arthritis (early sign of long term diving/a letter by VA actually states this) and IBS. I have the OMB form filled out by a military doc that actually did my colonoscopy and the two sets of x-rays for my hips were done by the MTF as well. I was in the Persian Gulf in 89 and have other things rated and affiliated with the Gulf War time frame and the hips I have evidence that goes back to two months after I retired. So the questions are; how do I go about getting rated as P & T and should I wait until after I receive my decision of this claim before I ask for or request about P & T?

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

cragwex - you can request P&T status by writing a letter requesting that you be awarded P&T status.

P&T status can be awarded if:

- you are 55yo or older

- symptoms have persisted without material improvement for five yrs or more

- the disability is static

- the disease is permanent and not likely to improve.

Whether you wait is up to you.

pr

Sorry to hear of your issues bud. If you look at my signature below you will see just how many high %s I have, and with my current claim will have more SCs. I just had a review for PTSD, Crohns, and TBI/Migraines. I have an incurable disease yet it was reviewed a year later. I am permanent SSDI which was granted in less than 10 weeks, permanently Navy Retired and I am only 32. The VA is just making it harder and harder bud. They want us to give up. Good luck and keep us posted. Hopefully we are both Permanent soon.

• HadIt.com Elder

I disagree that you have to be 55 or older to get permanent and total. V.A. actually has a regulation that age cannot be

considered in a claim.

deltaj - no one stated that you have to be 55yo to be rated P&T!!!

P&T status can be awarded if:

"- you are 55yo or older

- symptoms have persisted without material improvement for five yrs or more

- the disability is static

- the disease is permanent and not likely to improve."

I believe the conditions for P&T, that I quoted, can be found in M-21.

pr