Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Questions. Need Assistance Please. Vet's Antidepressant Induced Suicide

Rate this question

DelanaM

Question

Hi. I'm researching for answers and help so decided to register so I could ask. Not sure where to put it as I have several questions covering several topics here.

My ex was Army, we divorced in 2012. We have a minor child. Once we divorced, he didn't share the details of his military business other than generally. He served for 6 years (2004 to 2010) Iraq, and was being treated in 2008 for a back injury. In 2010 after he was out he went to a VA where we lived, and then relocated in mid 2011 where he'd been treated for PTSD and depression. We had a few conversations about the meds he said they gave him (Prozac being one I recall) that were not helping, didn't like how they affected him and he'd acknowledged requesting a lower dosage next time he went to see his "shrink" (whatever he was actually seeing I don't know). He continued treatment for the duration in that state. For 2012 post divorce, and 2013, he was in and out of treatment for at least the PTSD - we weren't sharing much personal details.

In early 2014, he admitted himself for treatment because he was feeling suicidal. The VA basically let him stay til he "sobered up" and sent him on his way; also at some point he'd been prescribed sertraline and was told to keep taking it. On his way from leaving that VA, he followed through with an attempt but it failed. He drove himself back to the VA and was admitted for about a week, sent to "group therapy" and they added trazodone and hydroxyzine to his cocktail of drugs.

We were in contact from later April through the end of June and there were no reported attempts and while he acknowledged he was still in treatment and felt he was doing better, he never revealed the suicidal behavior or attempt. He again acknowledged having told his 'shrink' that the stuff they were giving him wasn't working, he couldn't feel anything, felt dull all the time, no edge, indifferent and cloudy, confused. I recalled the issue with prozac and suggested he throw them in the toilet and stop taking them but he said he wasn't supposed to just stop...and he "didn't want to shoot up a school or something" by going off them too fast.

He had some serious financial issues in that period of time and in early August began making bizarre, out of character posts on his facebook to mostly strangers, cryptic remarks about ending his life. He'd never been suicidal and certainly wasn't vocal about being a "drama queen" or the like. Meaning, based on who he was and how he was, he'd just as soon shove a fork in his eye than post drama filled attention seeking comments on facebook...yet this is what he did. It was so out of character I couldn't help wonder if someone gained access to his account and posted that nutty stuff.

He'd also made another suicide attempt with the sertraline, baclofen and beer intending to use propane but apparently passed out before he could trigger the propane. He woke up a few hours later - now ridiculously sick - and called 911, and requested to be transferred to the VA. The VA again reduced his attempt to alcohol drama, added eszopiclone and venlafaxine, admitted him to a psych ward for nearly 2 weeks until he wasn't an "imminent threat" to himself, told him to stop drinking and sent him on his way.

A week later he made a final go at it with the propane and took his life.

The only thing in his system aside from the propane had been venlafaxine at 1.2mg/L, and an acknowledgement of the bottle that was emptied but it was not reported as an overdose on that drug.

--------------------

On Oct 1, I went to the local VA in my state and got the VA guy to help me...though I honestly do not know if he actually helped me or not. He had me fill out a slew of paperwork to file for benefits for our son. I know that DIC, survivor pension and accrued benefits were checked. He collected copies of our marriage certificates, divorce papers, birth certificates and several other things, the DD214?, and filed an "EZ" something or another. He breezed through it all before I could really process what all was done. He asked what I wanted to file for and I went the safe route with "everything our son would be eligible for". After spending 2 hours there, he compiled everything and faxed it to somewhere with a cover sheet requesting expedited processing.

In early November, I filed with the SSA for survivor benefits for our son and within a week there was a lump sum and following with a monthly payment at the end of the month which, to be honest, is more insulting than helpful because it's hardly worth the day's pay of whoever processed it. Almost seemed to be mocking his death at all.

I checked the ebenefits site but my ex already had an account. I have no clue how to access it but the VA guy insists that I can access it using the ex's SS# to find out the status of the claim. I've called the 800 number and gotten zero assistance.

In early Jan, some guy called claiming to be from the VA and apologized for the delay, saying that he'd get it in the que for processing and I shouldn't expect to hear anything til March. He said something about the VA making a decision and approving which ever option is higher but since I haven't a clue what he's referring to, I don't know if that's good or bad.

Meanwhile I've had correspondence with a veteran/military lawyer about filing a medical malpractice and a wrongful death lawsuit against the VA and they wanted me to go get and send them his medical records. I sent a request to the VAs in 3 states, received squat for 2 months, and only got one letter they didn't know who I was. In the interim, the lawyer basically bailed out saying *I* never sent them the stuff they wanted. That's because the VA screwed around and didn't even acknowledge it for 2 months...and I still have no medical records to send.

============ QUESTIONS

In any of the above, is it "a given" that he'd officially filed for disability at some point? Is there some way I can find out if he filed, when he filed, and whether or not he'd been approved and or receiving payments?

What is it the VA has to "approve" if our son is eligible as a dependent child under 18, unmarried, and the death was service connected suicide? Or does PTSD and antidepressant murder count?

How long does this take?

In these 3 options I seem to have filed claims for, is disability included in that or do I need to do that too?

As for approving the claim, and payments - I suppose the retroactive or lump sum if any - is it based on when he filed for whatever, when I filed for these death/survivor benefits, or date of his death? Which time frame applies?

Based on the above backstory, is there anything that suggests whether he would've been likely to be approved for disability?

How does one determine whatever his "rating" would be - is there a resource that explains this is in normal people terms?

If any of the VA benefits are approved, is it one or the other, or can it be more/all of those 3 options - and if approved, how would that affect my son's benefits from the SSA?

What's the best route to pursue the malpractice and wrongful death suits? I am somewhat aware of the TORT claim, waiting 6 months, and then filing the suit but isn't there a claim option to pursue first? Pros and cons of that? Is it a good or bad idea to specify his actual "shrinks" prescribing him these drugs or diagnosing him, the ones who downplayed it at the VA in the malpractice lawsuit?

In this sort of situation, would the monetary award include any money he owed in support that was in arrears or that will never be paid up until our child is 18? Or is that not "allowed"?

I'm just trying to make sure I got everything covered because of their obscure deadlines and loopholes.

I'm thoroughly disgusted with the VA for drugging him to the point of suicide and then "thanking" me for his service while simultaneously wrecking my child's life through endless months of run around bs.

I appreciate any guidance and feedback but please, please try to stay on point. I'm in need of specific answers as much as possible.

Thanks again!

Thanks for making that point Carlie.

I didnt want to bring that up but the Vietnam vet friend of mine who committed suicide a few years ago would have been determined as taking an action of "willful misconduct" by the VA ,unless the spouse could have proven he was insane at time of suicide.

The spouse (she kept this from me at the time) was not his legal spouse anyhow and we do not live in a common law state.

I dont think think the suicide regulations have changed since then.

My neighbor gets DIC for her husband;'s inservice suicide. That was a case of insanity.

DIC has been awarded to surviving spouses who could prove they were separated from their veteran spouse at time of suicide solely due to the veteran's manifestations of PTSD (such as domestic violence)

I could not find anything on divorced spouses possibly being eligible for DIC,.

Wow thanks for the links and info. I'll definitely be digging into it all.

The divorce is unrelated to the PTSD. The VA can lie all they want but the suicide would be a legitimate SC related and the ptsd was service related - it didn't have anything to do with the divorce unless it just aggravated it on whatever level. I don't know if there is a reasonable enough cause there because I've got no real idea what he was being treated for during that period of time but I was pretty convinced he'd lost his entire mind pulling that. Just went off the rails. I was livid and on the war path!

Our son is eligible for whatever he's eligible for and I am filing on his behalf, not mine. This includes the wrongful death and malpractice and any awards will be directed to him, though if it pays out before his 18th birthday then I'll manage it until then. I filed for DIC, survivor pension? and accrued benefits. I'm assuming the accrued benefits is about any disability claim he may have filed but I am not sure how to go about getting his medical records.

Today I sent off for his records from one of the VAMCs that prescribed him the drugs and failed to treat him. I don't have any real beef with the VAs in 2 other states before he'd moved to the last one as whatever they were doing or treating him for didn't disrupt his life or relationships and he'd seemed relatively stable.

He did have a bit of a meltdown when we split up and spiraled but pulled out of it when he moved to the last state. Upon our separation he basically gambled 8 grand and left us broke and upended, then lost his job, racked up a lot of debt and went on the lamb...he lost his ass in the divorce but by the actual final hearing, he'd gotten treatment and pulled out of it. He moved. He got a killer job, was making money and starting to catch up with back support money...but somewhere during all that he started treatment between these 2 VAMCs and next thing we know he's trying to kill himself a number of times.

Thanks again for the info. I'm eager to check it all out!

Edited by DelanaM

DelanaM - you should be eligible, for DIC, if the cause of his death was suicide and his PTSD was the cause of your divorce, which it probably was. Additionally, you should be able to get all of his records, as you are the child's mother and you would be getting them for him. You may, or may not, want to use your congressperson, to assist, in getting those records, as they can sometimes expedite that request.

I would file a claim, for DIC, ChampVA, and Chapter 35 educational benefits, for you and your child, immediately, if you haven't already.

pr

I have with DIC but wasn't sure if my son qualified for the other one. I did look into CHAMPVA. Never heard of chap 35 educational benefits. One thing, we've home schooled our son for 8 years. Would he still qualify because the educational benefits would be amazing for him getting ready to move out on his own in life.

Also, do you happen to know if the VA loan benefit for his father would carry over to him? His father's meltdown left us homeless or in an unstable living situation for awhile and I wondered if there was that option, if he could "claim" the benefit so he could have a stable house and not have to worry about this anymore. Probably not but I'd certainly file whatever is available.

The problem is I have no idea what all our son would be eligible for or what benefits are even available. I thought it was just 3 and keep hearing about others.

Are survivors/death pension, DIC and accrued benefits three different benefits? If my son is eligible for all 3 would they issue all three or do they pick one and if they pick one, what's their criteria?

Thanks!

Here are a few more:

Here are a few malpractice lawyers with VA FTCA experience:

http://www.rawlsmcnelis.com/practice-areas/va-and-military-medical-malpractice?gclid=CMqIifOxh8QCFY-EaQodkyEAuA

http://nationaltriallaw.com/practice-areas/national-federal-tort-claims-ftca-cases/veterans-affairs-va-hospital-medical-malpractice/?gclid=CJ_v46Cyh8QCFQ8waQodoyIAbA

http://www.vamalpracticeclaims.com/

http://military-law.lawyers.com/veterans-benefits/filing-a-claim-against-the-va-for-malpractice.html

This Tacoma attorney, Jessica Holman Duthie, got this vet $900,000

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2015/01/24/3603545_va-settles-for-nearly-1-million.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

Also if you search BVA decisions for successful 1151 awards, many of those claimants had good attornrys too who are listed as the POA on the decision and sometimes referenced as to FTCA.

FTCA and 1151 have offset factors, meaning the VA will deduct the settlement from any potential 1151 award.

However if a claimant can prove direct SC death in addition to death by VA malpractice, in some cases they can receive both 1151 awards as well as the settlement.

Bob Walsh and Doug Rosinski have done many show with us here and the older SVR shows and most recently on Feb 19th with Bob:

http://svr-radio.com/archives.html Just click on th sound Icon and your PC media player will pop up with the show.

I have discussed FTCA and 1151 with both of these lawyers but forget how long ago those shows were.....( It could have been 8 years ago.)

Bob's contact info is here:

Telephone (269) 962-9693

Telecopier (269) 962-9592

E-mail: rpwalsh@sbcglobal.net

Doug's is here under a search and at his web site.

Awesome. Rawls etc - I contacted them already. They're the ones who said they were closing it out because I didn't send them the info. I just mailed out a packet containing the ME report info and a notice that the VAs never got back to me except 1, who basically waited 2 months to tell me they don't know who I am in spite of the info I sent. I called that guy and he told me what they needed so I sent it off today, also.

Definitely will start contacting the others though to get things moving. I'd assume that if any of these lawyers want to get 25% of whatever the award is, they'll get off their butts and do the work on my behalf. I'm not paying squat if I have to do everything! :/

Are survivors/death pension, DIC and accrued benefits three different benefits? If my son is eligible for all 3 would they issue all three or do they pick one and if they pick one, what's their criteria?

DIC for surviving spouses amd/or children of a deceased veteran are explain here:

http://helpdesk.vetsfirst.org/index.php?pg=kb.printer.friendly&id=80#c418

VA Wartime pension is not awarded along with DIC.

For survivors the Wartime pension criteria is here:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/pension/spousepen.asp

Accrued benefits are awarded (if applied for within one year after the veteran's death by an eligible survivor)
if the deceased veteran had a claim pending at death and the survivor can substitute themselves for the veteran.

I posted the substitution form here in another post the other day.

Accrued benefits derive from an award of the benefits the veteran had sought.

I had to send VA evidence for my accrued claim, that they either ignored at first or didnt have at the RO..

They did not have a lot of his psychiatric records in the regular medical record file. I went to the local VA and asked his shrink for copies of them.
I also had his SSA award for PTSD with me, which the shrik verified, by writing to the VA himself, because VA had told my Congressman SSA refused to send the VA his records.
That wasnt true.

My point is that accrued benefit claims often have to be continued to be supported by evidence from the survivor, just like all other claims.

If your son attains DIC, he will be eligible for CHAMPVA, the Civilian Health and Medical Program from the VA. I have that benefit and It is wonderful (and can be retrioactive)

Also he will be eligible for Chapter 35 Benefits.( also call DEA -educational benefits) I used that and VA paid about 30 thousand towards my degree from AMU.

My daughter, a veteran ,was eligible for that benefit as well under a few awards I got.

The eligibility date was extended by.subsequent awards they made to me regarding DIC. If your son joins the military as my daughter did,while still in high school, their military inservice period will extend their Chap 35 benefit cut off by the length of the same period they served.

There is more detailed info here at hadit to these benefits.

These benefits( Chap 35 and CHAMPVA) involve either a service connected 100% P & T award the veteran had in their lifetime or will receive posthumously due to an accrued award, of 100 % P & T due to SC,
or due to a direct service connected DIC death award.

They do not arise from Section 1151 wrongful death awards.

Just to clarify..... the lawyers should handle the FTCA issue ( as long as you are still within the 2 year Statute of Limits (SOL)for that

A formal FTCA claim must be made within 2 years of the claimant's knowledge of the alleged injury of death, due to VA malpractice)

They could also possibly handle obtaining the the veteran's medical records,and C file because of the divorce.

But maybe that would not be a problem at all,with VA to send them to you.I don't know.

A veterans rep from your state, or county veteran's service agency or from any service office or vet rep from one of the main vet orgs...DAV,AL, VFW, VVA, etc etc, can handle the 1151 claim.,with a signed POA form (Power of Attorney signed solely for VA claims purposes)

If the initial claims for DIC, accrued etc are denied,they can help you file an appeal.

At that point you could also have an attorney handle those claims if they are denied.

Successful claimants here over the past 18 years may or may not have had vet reps or attorneys to help them.

Their success ,I would think, usually came primarily from the work they did on their claims themselves, by coming here to hadit for advise.and by obtaining all of the evidence the VA said they needed.

At some point you will receive a 5103 VCAA letter from the VA.

It will state exactly what evidence they need.and how soon they need it.

Also they will need birth certificate of your child and maybe the divorce papers, for sure death certificate, autopsy etc etc.

Your ex spouse's family might know if he was service connected for anything.

I wonder how anyone at VA filed the DIC app etc you mentioned, without having a C file number.But they will assign you one.

I am sure a vet rep with your POA could find that out as well.( his status as far as service connection)

The lawyer who handles the FTCA issue will also tell you what he./she needs for that specific issue.

In my case (Section 1151 and FTCA) it involved the same evidence for each case.

The charges under 1151 were made by my husband before he died.I had to continue both of his claims , awarded under accrued regulations,and used his same malpractice charges for my FTCA issue.

FTCA SF 95s are filed with the Regional VA counsel that handles the VISN you are in.

The RC will order a Peer Review report.

Within 4-5 months after receipt of my SF95 and some evidence the RC here in NY called me and wanted to settle with me for wrongful death.

I am a pro se attorney and stated my case well, along with significant evidence.

Then suddenly the RC, the Peer Review doctor, and the report he did, that supported all of my charges...disappeared....

I found all of above but by then I had to transfer to the General Counsel in DC and prove my case without that Peer review report...critical evidence to my claim.

Also the VA failed to send the 6 page autopsy to the General Counsel.

Since I had no lawyer I dealt with them myself and that is how I learned of some of the tactics my RO had pulled to hinder my 1151 and FTCA issues.

I guess if I had a lawyer, that BS could have been avoided.

Still, I had a legal background and developed a medical background as well in cardio ,neuro stuff.....enough to go head to head with the OGC and their doctors. I knew I would win and that my dead husband's malpractice charges against them were correct.

The FTCA case took from Dec 1994 to mid 1997 to be resolved. The 1151 took another 6 months or more to succeed.

You have the right to do all this yourself but FTCA is hard work. legally and medically and I don't advise that to anyone with FTCA issues.

VA accepted my lay medical opinion, analysis and conclusion of my husband's wrongful death.

That was because my evidence was probative and overwhelming.A Top VA cardio doctor at VACO agreed with my charges and prepared a full medical rationale on the malpractice..

Still.... it was sure a battle to get to that point .....but I liked dealing with the VA lawyers and VACO doctors.. They can read.

I found the critical Peer review report ,that VA tried to tell me had "never" existed, at the bottom of my C file , almost 9 years later.

I used it for my 2010 AO IHD claim.

If I had a lawyer,when I filed the SF 95 , they could not have gotten away with some of the BS they pulled on me.But the worm turns, as they say, and I made that worm bite them in the a-- but good. and they still owe me malpractice cash,under 1151.

I guess my point is most of us hard core claimants here have all had to put plenty of work into our claims,

whether we had someone on our POA or not.

Edited by Berta