VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Meds For Ptsd,need Help?

Rate this topic

in the course of a discussion folks may refer to it and i'm good with that, the important thing to remember is this is not a forum to advocate for it so if all your posts are long posts advocating it then probably best to take that to facebook or another website. our main focus on this site continues to be va claims.

tbird, i re-read my post above where you suggested it was too long and advocating.

you are confusing positive facts with advocacy?

knowledge is power. i posted facts and personal experience - my own and others. i'm sorry you do not want this information out to your readers.

other veteran sites welcome valuable information that helps in making informed decisions. guess i'll say goodbye and hang out there.

bless you.

/s/ Sistah Cannabi

"emancipate your selfs from mental slavery; none but ourselves can free out mind." ~ Bob Marley, prophet

• Founder

Cannabis I was responding to bob barker's post below. If every reply and topic you started was about medical mj then that would be advocating for a position.

If your in a MMJ legal state I would recommend high CBD low thc marijuana. The strain AC/DC comes to mind. Had some test at 13% cbd 1% thc. You dont get high, it has more of a calming effect.

Edit: I'm not sure if this post is ok or not. I dont know how marijuana is viewed here.

Is anybody taking Wellbutrin.I had to stop the Lexapro,bad side effects.I been taking Wellbutrin for 7 days now and I can't believe how good I feel the depression has lifted,but still have really bad anxiety.Im starting to be able to socialize and feeling a bit comfortable for the first time,I'm actually having conversations with people and feeling a bit comfortable.I could never socialize especially in crowded social gathering.Feeling Grateful

I am 100% sc PTSD patient. I was forced off of VHA meds because I was tagged as a Cat

One Violent patient. All meds, and even my suicide prevention group was terminated overnight. I cut my arms open. Spent time in the mental ward after meds were stopped.

My solution, as an

Oregonian, was to turn to our medical marijuanna dispensaries. Oregon just ammended the medical marijuanna law to allow "extracts" of the plant as well as legal dispensaries to obtain it, but more importantly, added one more medical condition to the list of presumptive conditions that automatically qualify a citizen for a card and huge discount in application fees; PTSD.

Oregon has recognized the significant benefits reported by PTSD sufferers, by adding this to the qualifications. Before, only certain cancers and generally painful diseases were covered, but

Oregonians are not afraid of the reefer madness boogyman. We KNOW that in one form or another, this drug calms us down.

I too do not sleep and am up from about midnight till dawn, also diagnosed with Severe Restless

Leg Syndrome. I cant stop moving without meds or intolerable shooting electric pains jolt through my legs.

I tried many forms of the mmj drugs available. 5 years running

I have had a card for pain (sc artheritis throughout spine, severe ambulatory pain). Here is what I found about mmj products for PTSD;

1) Of the 2 strains, Indica and Sativa, Indica is the strain I seek. Sativa strains are well known for the "Cheech and Chong" effect, and helps facilitate a sense of euphoria and vague confusion. Sativa strains are a disaster for me. Ramps my anxiety and irritability up, not down. I stay with Indica only. This jives with a whole lot of anecdotal evidence from other anxiety patients.

2) Dried leaf has very little medication like effects on ptsd, irregardless of type or method ingested. Oregon requires all dispensary products to be lab tested. We know the product is clean and what potency. The product I use to great effect and never plan to discontinue is called an extract. Specifically, this product is know as "shatter".

Shatter is lab tested between 70%-90% thc. THC is the psychoactive component. I normally either use a vaporizer which "boils" the THC mixture into a steam vapor, or I smoke it on top of a little dried plant. Vaporizing preserves 100% of the THC vs. smoking (combustion), and is vastly more potent than smoking like quantities, thus is more cost effective by a factor of 5 at least. Smoking is more convenient.

I will say this; this is incredibly potent medicine. It takes about the size of half a rice grain vaporized to dose me in the mid morning, then a few time throughout the day. Sweet slumber at night, though the drug is not a miracle cure.

Now for first hand info. The taste of the shatter can determine the correct type. The ones that have a decidedly fruity smell and taste are spot on for treating anxiety. My favorite is termed "Pinapple" shatter and tastes and smells vaguely like that fruit. If it tastes sort of "mediciney" or a bit like menthol, then the extraction process, or the herbs used, just do not impact my emotional state as positively as, for example, Pinapple shatter does.

Those with experience smoking pot but not this stuff do not know the smell. Only a fellow vaporizor patient of shatter would recognize it and it leaves no odor on the user. Paranoia and other anxieties associated with smoking leaf are not present in the purified form. Relief is within seconds of inhaling. There can be a 15 minute transition period that is unpleasant, but not always, and it always passes in about 15.

During that phase, I at times can swing very low emotionally. With practice I am aware that this will pass, but again, this stage depends on the "strain" of shatter that is available. I recommend from experience to sit in a quiet room to medicate. Preferabbly nobody else around. I find no comfort in sharing this time with others, though I use the vape in public often when I am out.

No odor. Nobody cares. There us no secondhand smoke because there is no smoke. I risk a citation, a $50 fine, for using it in public view. I have not heard of that citation ever being issued.

Shatter works hands down far better than ANY of the other drugs they prescribe for PTSD, and the PTSD condition was added because of voluminous anectdotal accounts of relief from PTSD symptoms.

Just make sure you have a quiet and comfy spot to use the stuff for the first time. Preferably in a corner of a dark room with a blanket...be ready to sleep that first time - for about a weel lolz. After that, I became aclimatized to the drug (much faster than psych drugs), and that initial "high" does not manifest again.

Semper Fi

30 years of taking differant meds,they did nothing for me accept give me bad side effects.The one anti-Depressant I never been put on is WellbutrinSR,and it's been around a long time.This med started doing wonders for me within days.So I have to stick with what works,feeling grateful.