Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Not Sure How I Feel About 50% Rating For Sa

Rate this question

SGTK

Question

Hi fellow vets. I've been trying to find a good resource or link that explains how obstructive sleep apnea is service connected and why it should be 50%. I recently had a sleep study done and was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. In 2 weeks I'm having another study done to fit me for the right setting on a CPAP. I should mention that I am active duty army for another 5 months. Although the 50% rating would be a nice chunk of money, I just don't see how I am entitled to it. There seems to be no supporting evidence that anything we do in the military would "cause" sleep apnea. Hopefully you guys can help me out. I know for a fact that before my first deployment to Afghanistan, I did not snore or have any breathing problems. After I returned, my wife said multiple times that she heard me gasp for air in my sleep and that I started snoring. I guess I/m just looking for justification on making a claim. Everything on Google points to obesity being a leading cause. I am a bigger guy, but I wouldn't say obese. I run 14s in my 2 mile and have always been in fairly good health my entire enlistment minus a dislocated ankle. Well hope you guys can help me out. Thanks.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It depends on the apnea type. There is obstructive and central. One is more mechanical in nature, the other involves the nervous system shutting down the breathing mechanism. I would postulate that the connection between apnea and the military has more to do with a connection due to exacerbation or aggravation rather than direct, but im not a doctor, just an apnea sufferer.

The obstructive apnea and central both, if they appear on duty, are presumed to be aggravated by or caused in LOD. Its up to you if you want to file or not, though. That is more of an ethical issue for you.

Good luck! Apnea sucks either way. There is also a chance that you may get less than 50%. I have it, but also chronic pain, insomnia, and back problems. They could not discern what percentage of my apnea and sleep issues were back related or apnea related, so I ended up with a CPAP and 20% (after appealing a CUE from them for the initial 50%). The Cpap, for which I am grateful, I have had from day 2 of the sleep study. I woke up after 4 hours and actually 'woke' up from sleep. I was so happy.

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

It depends on the apnea type. There is obstructive and central. One is more mechanical in nature, the other involves the nervous system shutting down the breathing mechanism. I would postulate that the connection between apnea and the military has more to do with a connection due to exacerbation or aggravation rather than direct, but im not a doctor, just an apnea sufferer.

The obstructive apnea and central both, if they appear on duty, are presumed to be aggravated by or caused in LOD. Its up to you if you want to file or not, though. That is more of an ethical issue for you.

Good luck! Apnea sucks either way. There is also a chance that you may get less than 50%. I have it, but also chronic pain, insomnia, and back problems. They could not discern what percentage of my apnea and sleep issues were back related or apnea related, so I ended up with a CPAP and 20% (after appealing a CUE from them for the initial 50%). The Cpap, for which I am grateful, I have had from day 2 of the sleep study. I woke up after 4 hours and actually 'woke' up from sleep. I was so happy.

Sorry, but what does LOD stand for? Oh and mine is obstructive sleep apnea.

LOD = Line Of Duty.

Any medical conditions that arise during active duty or a result of

active duty, should be service connected and the veteran provided with

compensation and full medical care for those conditions.

That alone is the justification for it.

jmho

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

They do a physical when you go into the military. Its very thorough. Mostly when you get out, they do another one.

What happens in between (while in service) is pretty much "service connected". The term is "Service connected" not "caused by service". One defination for "connected" is to think of (something or someone) as being related to or involved with another person, thing, event, or idea . So, "service connected" is "related to" military service, not "caused by" military. Someone has decided if you got a malady in service, then it was "related" to service. We dont have to prove military caused it, just that it happened while in the military. We were in the military 24/7. We did everything they asked. The military promised to take care of our health needs while in service plus any others "related" to service. We are given a pass here, as we should. We still have 3 hoops to jump through to get service connection and they are pretty tough.

1. In service event or aggravation

2. Current diagnosis of a disease or injury.

3. A nexus, or medical statement linking the the diagnosis with the in service event or aggravation.

As far as not applying for benefits because you dont feel you deserve them, I get that completely. I struggled with my maladies for years before I really even thought about applying at the VA.

Its good, no great, that you do not want any benefits to which you are not entitled. And, I agree. One way you can do this is just wait. If you are working and your sleep apnea is not causing any trouble you do not have to ask for benefits. If you decide at a later time, you can still apply.

In other words for you to be service connected for sleep apnea, you will have to have a doctors statement to say, that your sleep apnea is at least as likely as not related to xxx event that happened to you in service. Its a medical determination.

Thanks for the insight guys. I still have to figure some things out for myself I guess. I do get what you're saying about "service connected" not "caused by service". I was perfectly healthy when I came in the army but 6 years, 2 OEF deployments and several field problems later, I guess anything could have caused the apnea during that time.

Edited by SGTK