Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Regulations And Case Law On Delays, How Long Will Your Appeal Take?

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

How long will my appeal take?

Most Veterans advocates indicate an appeal at the BVA level will take about 4 to 5 years, sadly, this number is on the increase. I appealed to the Board a August, 2002 decision, went to the board about 18 months, in January 2004, and it was implemented by Feb. 2004. So in less than 2 years, I went from RO decision to board decision to RO implementation.

Its gotten much worse. In 2009, I appealed a RO decision that finally went to the Board 3 years later, in 2012. However, I still have not gotten the Board remand implemented in another 2.5 years, so the total time is now 6 years and counting.

Here are the regulations and case law on delays, with my emphasis in bold:

The Secretary has a statutory obligation to expeditiously process remands from this Court. Thus, not only must the Secretary ensure that he completes the Court-ordered task, he must do so in an expeditious manner. 38 U.S.C. §§ 5109B, 7112. Excessive delays in the processing of remands ordered by the Court cannot help but sap public confidence and impugn the Court's dignity, as from the outside it invariably appears that VA is ignoring the valid mandates of an institution that has express authority over it in matters related to veterans benefits. See Erspamer v. Derwinski, 1 Vet. App. 3 (1990) (discussing delay in administrative action and public confidence).

Furthermore, the Secretary's obligation to process Court remands expeditiously is integral to this Court's jurisdictional authority to remedy unreasonable delays in the processing of veterans' claims. See Vietnam Veterans of America v. Shinseki, 599 F.3d 654, 659–660 (D.C. Cir. 2010) (suggesting that the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims may have exclusive jurisdiction over claims concerning unreasonable delays in processing); see also Ribaudo v. Nicholson, 20 Vet. App. 552, 557 (2007) ("With respect to matters relating to veterans-benefits claims, however, Congress adopted a very different approach to judicial review. A decision of the Board can only be appealed to a single venue—this Court." (citing 38 U.S.C. § 7252(a))). Therefore, failure by the Secretary to comply with his obligation to process Court remands expeditiously, is the same as noncompliance with the remand order itself, even if the Secretary eventually complies with the substance of the order. Harvey v. Shinseki, 24 Vet. App. 284, 288 (2011).

"While there is no absolute definition of what is reasonable time, we know that it may encompass 'months, occasionally a year or two, but not several years or a decade.'" Community Nutrition Institute v. Young, 773 F.2d 1356, 1361 (D.C. Cir. 1985) (quoting MCI Communications Corp. v. FCC, 627 F.2d 322, 340 (D.C. Cir. 1980). Erspamer v. Derwinski, 1 Vet. App. 3, 10 (1990). When delay is alleged as the basis for a petition for writ of mandamus, a clear and indisputable right to the writ does not exist unless the petitioner demonstrates that the alleged delay is so extraordinary, given the demand on and resources of the Secretary, that it is equivalent to an arbitrary refusal to act. Compare Costanza v. West, 12 Vet. App. 133, 134 (1999) (per curiam order) (addressing an 11–month delay and finding the petitioner did not demonstrate that he lacked alternative means of relief when he did not undertake to resolve delay prior to filing the petition), with Erspamer v. Derwinski, 1 Vet. App. 3, 11 (1990) (addressing a three-year delay and finding petitioner had no adequate alternative means for relief when she contacted the regional office more than 30 times before filing her petition with the Court).

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Second lawsuit just filed against VA over the claims process and the fact that we have to use standardized forms now that many vets cannot obtain access to ,as they don't have or cannot use PCs.:

http://www.newsmax.com/US/groups-sue-veterans-affairs/2015/05/07/id/643353/

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

broncovet,

I notice your 100%.

Are these claims for increase or new contention's your filing for?

your appeal in 2002/ then board for 18 months, Jan 2004 then it was implemented in Feb 2004.

Appeal to board 2009 from RO back to board.

Sounds like your getting the run around...grrrrr

that is way to long...try asking for a ''expedite treatment'' for your claim/claims to be processed in a more timely way

I was reading something over at board of appeals about veterans protected service connection of 10%....I'm not sure how long this case went on but I imagine it went on for years, finally the veteran got an attorney and filled for the expedite of treatment for claims.

he won the claim and they added to his 10% SC 30%..i never read all about this one but it seems like when a claim has been in limbo for years your case 2004-2015 eleven years 11 Years....something should be done about this Bud.

get in contact with the VA SECEATARY Robert McDonald!

I hate to see a veteran fight for so long like you and asknod has had to do....there's no excuse for it being tied up for so long because some clerk is not doing his/her job...truth was known your claim probably has been adjudicated sitting under about 12 inch stack of papers on some one desk!

Anyway not sure if any of this helps I'm sure you know about the ''expedite treatment''

I wish you the best I hope you see some results soon Bud.

............................Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!