VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I File For Backpay For Service Connected Issues?

Rate this question

ihateliver

Question

I have never applied for increased benefits. However readng HADIT it appearsthat I may be entitled to more than I am currently receiving.
Below is my current rating as it stands in eBenefits.
The Pes Planus is service related. Hearing loss is service related (I was a 13E in artillery). Nothing for vericose vein stripping? I just had the right leg in surgery. I have other items that I had while in service that have just gotten worse over the years. Can I file for those as well?
Secondary to bilateral varicose vein status post stripping 0% Service Connected 02/04/2011
Varicose veins, right leg 10% Service Connected 03/31/1998
bilateral varicose veins status post stripping 10% Service Connected 09/16/1996
pes planus (flatfoot) Not Service Connected
hearing loss Not Service Connected
varicose vein stripping left leg 0% Service Connected 03/31/1998
left ankle sprain (claimed as nerve pain) Not Service Connected
skin condition (colored skin, right leg, chest and right side of head) Not Service Connected
hallux valgus, right great toe with degenerative changes 10% Service Connected 06/09/1992
status post fracture, distal phalanx of the index finger 0% Service Connected 06/09/1992
right ankle sprain Not Service Connected
chondromalacia of the patella left knee 20% Service Connected 07/18/1994
Not sure where to go with all of this. Hope I can get some help. Currently I'm going after my C - File.

W E Taylor

US Army

1981-1992

Interesting, almost 15+ years since your original SC Award/Denials. Didn't care, didn't need or what? Seems most Sr Vets, for the most part, didn't know about VA comp before filing their 1st claim. But then, it's game on, win or lose. They're like a "Dog on a Bone" with their Appeals. Did you use a VSO Rep to file your original claim? If your SCs were "Low Balled" or Denials were in error, somebody, you or your Rep really dropped the ball.

If you think you got it coming, get it. Start your E-Ben on-line FDC claim yesterday to lock in your File Date. You have 1 year to complete the claim and hit the submit button.

Feelings are like xxx xxxxx, everybody's got, right. No room in VA Claims for what we think "should be," it's all about Medical Evidence and Nexus. What can you prove with your old medical evidence that the VA already has in it's hot little hands? What NEW Medical Evidence, that was not available or presented with your original claim?

You did keep your original Award/Denial letter, right? Did you agree with the original rating decision? Ever file a NOD within the 12 months after the date of the Award?

Have you continued to receive VA or Private Medical treatment over the years for your SC conditions? Any medical evidence to support an increase per 38 CFR 4 to any of your SCs?

Semper Fi

Gastone

Thanks for the info Gastone.

Gastone -

Thanks for the info. I was a young whippersnapper know it all. However I never really understood the depths of red tape that the VA ties around our necks and games they play with our ratings. I just took what they offered at face value and went on with my life. Went to college, got married, had kids, jobs...you get the picture. However now I'm a little more mature and see that the VA may not have decided my cases fairly, or they may not have had the correct information. Years ago I used some DAV officers, but looking back they were overwhelmed and didn't have time to review my case the way I should have.

So now I guess you can say I'm taking back the power of my case with the help of sites like this. I've talked to many vets over the years, yet not one recommended this site to me. Also, when I first got rated, none of this information was readily available. So thank you guys for arming me with this valuable information.

In fact, I visited with a local VA rep and he informed that the VA seems to have miscalculated the bilateral factor in 1998 and may have missed bumping me up to 50% from 40%.

W E Taylor

US Army

1981-1992

For Gastone -

Feelings are like xxx xxxxx, everybody's got, right. No room in VA Claims for what we think "should be," it's all about Medical Evidence and Nexus. What can you prove with your old medical evidence that the VA already has in it's hot little hands? Not sure. What NEW Medical Evidence, that was not available or presented with your original claim? Not sure yet. Need to get my C-File

You did keep your original Award/Denial letter, right? No Did you agree with the original rating decision? Ever file a NOD within the 12 months after the date of the Award?No

Have you continued to receive VA or Private Medical treatment over the years for your SC conditions? Yes Any medical evidence to support an increase per 38 CFR 4 to any of your SCs? Probably. I need to review what I have along with additional info from Doc.

W E Taylor

US Army

1981-1992

Ok I dsee that I'm currently at 40% because 10% bilateral was mover to 10% right leg and 0% left leg. They didn't add 10% to my disabilities.

Secondary to bilateral varicose vein status post stripping 0% Service Connected 02/04/2011
Varicose veins, right leg 10% Service Connected 03/31/1998
bilateral varicose veins status post stripping 10% Service Connected 09/16/1996
pes planus (flatfoot) Not Service Connected
hearing loss Not Service Connected
varicose vein stripping left leg 0% Service Connected 03/31/1998
left ankle sprain (claimed as nerve pain) Not Service Connected
skin condition (colored skin, right leg, chest and right side of head) Not Service Connected
hallux valgus, right great toe with degenerative changes 10% Service Connected 06/09/1992
status post fracture, distal phalanx of the index finger 0% Service Connected 06/09/1992
right ankle sprain Not Service Connected
chondromalacia of the patella left knee 20% Service Connected 07/18/1994

W E Taylor

US Army

1981-1992