Va Obligated To Pay The Full Cost Of Nursing Home Care.. Berta

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

Berta, here it is:

Hamslice

http://www.va.gov/op...fits_chap01.asp

Long-term Services

VA provides institution based services (nursing home level of care) to Veterans through three national programs: VA owned and operated Community Living Centers (CLC), State Veterans’ Homes owned and operated by the states, and the community nursing home program. Each program has admission and eligibility criteria specific to the program. VA is obligated to pay the full cost of nursing home services for enrolled Veterans who need nursing home care for a service-connected disability, or Veterans or who have a 70 percent or greater service-connected disability and Veterans with a rating of total disability based on individual un-employability. VA provided nursing home care for all other Veterans is based on available resources. Institution based nursing home care is expected to be person centered and serves Veterans of all ages.

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday 

Berta,

I know there is probably some legal speak going on here, but I think this is where I saw it.

It could mean that your comp would go to the home instead of you, etc.

I will need to do some more research to see how it impacts ones retirement (military), VA Comp, homestead and other financial assest.

"VA obligated to pay full cost", seems to me to say they take care of everything, but it the VA...

Hamslice

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42747.pdf

Does the VA Provide Long-Term Care? The VA provides long-term care services (including residential, home-based, and communitybased care) for veterans meeting specified criteria, which may include service-connected conditions and the need for such care. The Veterans Millennium Healthcare and Benefits Act (P.L. 106-117) requires the VA to provide nursing home services to all enrolled veterans who are 70% or more service-connected disabled, or 60% or more service-connected disabled and unemployable and in need of such care, or who are service-connected for a condition that makes such care necessary.37 The VA meets the requirements of P.L. 106-117 by providing short- and long-term nursing care, respite, and end-oflife care through three different settings: Community Living Centers (CLCs) located on VA medical campuses; contracted care in Community Nursing Homes (CNH); and through the State Veterans Nursing Home (SVNH) program. Under the SVNH program, the VA subsidizes stateoperated, long-term care facilities for veterans through a grant and per diem program in states that have petitioned the VA to build and operate a SVNH. The SVNH program primarily provides long-stay, maintenance-level care. Each SVNH is owned and operated by its host state; however, approximately two-thirds of new construction costs and about one-third of per diem costs are provided by the VA. For those veterans who are 70% or more service-connected disabled and reside in a SVNH, the VA provides the full cost of care.

Here it is again,

Hamslice

THANKS..... I guess I was stuck on someone mentioning Vet's homes...I mean the private houses that are run by the VA? not sure who runs them , ...we have homes like that in many small villages here.

I have no idea if the vets must be SCed or not or of they have to pay from their comp if they are SCed.

They all have a small staff of caregivers.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

In Massachusetts you just need to be a Veteran, not necessarily a SC Veteran to get into one of these homes.

In the area that I live, they will charge 30% of any income that you currently have.

When I first moved to Massachusetts, I lived in a Veterans Home such as you are talking about and this was before I was SC.

According to Veterans that I know that are currently living in the Veteran Home, it has not changed.

I am sure every area is a little different, so check with a V.A. Social worker, or your local Vet Rep.

Hope this helps....Have a good day and all the best to everyone!!

Greg

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm not sure what the Nursing Home care cost.

but it use to be civilians pay what there SS checks are less 50.00 and that $$ goes to the patient for necessities like tooth paste, shaveing, personal needs.

.........Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

This would be a good topic for a radio show....

I will talk to Jerrel Cook about these issues and maybe someone from VA would be willing to be a guest here.

The local Bath VAMC CLC has, I am quite sure, non SC vets that are there on a case by case basis ,if they have room for them.

They seem to do a wonderful job at this CLC and got a 5 star rating from either VA IG or JHACO or maybe both a few months ago.

I have been in 2 of the local vet homes and they are spotless, and the vets seem happy and the people seem great too.

Both are quite near to our volunteer fire/ambulance departments in each village, so any emergency medical call at the home gets a very fast EMS response.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.