Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

S/c For Knee And Seconday Back/hip Issues?

Rate this question

spearhead91

Question

I've only just started the VA Claim in the past few weeks. I've learned a lot so far. But the more your read/learn the more questions you have. So I'm reaching out to try and understand the following. I've had multiple injuries to my knee while on active duty and in my SMR/STR which I have my 3 paper copies, 1 in firesafe and, 3 digital storage locations and a USB stick I carry with me. I have done absolutely NO damage to my knee since I left the service. I drive a mouse for a living and a liberal work environment where we can get walk around etc so no sedentary work and I was fortunate enough to be able to do that once I left the service voluntarily and honorably. Gulf War Vet. I would not have been able to do physical manual labor or standing anything for long periods of time if I had too. If one looked at my records while in service they would ask "where are your other records" because it's almost 70% knee issues. My knee story in a nut shell: injury/injury/ACL tear/surgery/injury back to the grind of full time active duy while nursing a messed up knee pain/swelling/lockups continued up until the day I ETSed. I hobbled around the last few years to sick call/ortho/profiles for running my last few years. My impression was they were never ever never going to send me to a MRB or whatever it's called. So I had two choice stay or leave and I didn't want to but I did.

So I submitted for left knee pain and back pain among other issues with VSO Rep.

I had an ortho DR visit and X-ray done for my knee this week and now MRI getting setup(I had an MRI right before I got out says Mild PF arthritis, loose body laterally Possible PFDS?). I haven't even started neck/shoulder issues but listed them also when starting claim with VSO rep.
I have searched these individually and sort of understand them isolated but what is it altogether?
Knee
*Derangement of posterior horn of medial meniscus
*Chondromalacia of patella
*Localized, primary osteoarthritis
*Localized, primary osteoarthritis of the pelvic region and thigh
Back
*Displacement of Lumbar Intervertebral Disc without Myelopathy
*Degeneration of Lumbosacral Intervertebral Disc
*Compression Deformities
*Low Back Pain
*Pain in Limb
I'm trying to wrap my head around all this. And suffering through PAD both legs and had surgery on one already. I feel like I'm truly falling apart. I only be 49 in two months.
Edited by spearhead91

I don't have any answers for you except to say that I am interested in the same in reverse...

I am service connected for DDD in my lumbar and cervical spine, and for the IT band on my left hip.

Over the last couple of years, I have developed left knee pain with a stretching sensation, even when at rest.

The VA did an MRI of my knee and found only bipartite patella.. They stated that I would not have known I had it if they hadn't done the MRI... and I thought, I would not be here if there was not a problem with me knee.

I suspect that the knee may be affected by the IT band but who knows...

It's difficult to get straight answers.

Welcome aboard and good luck, God Bless

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

Sawgunner ya that's what I'm trying to piece it altogether. But I guess it comes down tp my other issues first. This being 2nd priority for the now but still working on. If Ortho DR says I need surgery on left knee than I have to ask my vascular surgeon if I can have anything done so soon because its the same leg I just had bypass on 8 months ago scar from mid-calf inside all the way up to left of groin a fem-tib is what they call it). And I still need to have the right leg done for bypass surgery (at least there it's above the knee to the groin). Those staples suck. I know there are plenty of people on here worse off, god bless them and thank you, it's the whole VA claim process and getting the right diagnosis is what steams me, if I had to wait and not had insurance don't even want to think about it. I'm borderline quitting my job like right now today because of all the appointments and keeping up and keeping me healthy is a full time job by itself at the moment and wearing me down physically and emotionally. I'm not sure I can continue to do both and win. One has to give way and I want to stay around a while and see grandkids some day.(Not soon a couple of more years please.)

So my question is like yours I have no doubt(but is the VA) that my left knee will be SCed for probably multiple issues. Than the hip/back secondary to that. PAD connection I don't know about all all but I'm taking a big bite of the elephant out the door if wasn't for private insurance I wouldn't be typing probably. And good ortho DR's who saw something wrong for vascular and got me there first. For that I'm forever grateful.

And I never did get the chance to have any SAW time while on active duty only the old bulky sob M60..but I was good, very good. Cpt said one time I want you near me. Lol.

Edited by spearhead91

What do they attribute the PAD to?

"So my question is like yours I have no doubt(but is the VA) that my left knee will be SCed for probably multiple issues. Than the hip/back secondary to that. PAD connection I don't know about all all but I'm taking a big bite of the elephant out the door if wasn't for private insurance I wouldn't be typing probably. And good ortho DR's who saw something wrong for vascular and got me there first. For that I'm forever grateful. "

Do you have private medical records as well as VA medical records?

Back, hips, and even feet can be affected by knee problems.

It might take in independent medical opinion however, to mmake the medical link,....hard to even guess at this point.

The results of the C & P exams you get will give you some good idea if you need more evidence.

If they are done at a VAMC they are available fairly quickly but if done by QTC, VA wont release them until after they make the decision.

The PAD....
"If Ortho DR says I need surgery on left knee than I have to ask my vascular surgeon if I can have anything done so soon because its the same leg I just had bypass on 8 months ago scar from mid-calf inside all the way up to left of groin a fem-tib is what they call it)"

was it a result of this surgery? If so, did VA do the surgery?

Or did you have the PAD diagnosis prior to the surgery?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Hello Berta. Thanks for taking a look. I'll give the short version for your questions.

My last SMR/STR for MRI shows Mild PF Arthritis and Loose Body? The question mark is in the SMR remarks from the 1996 MRI read. The above listed issues are from my recent X Ray and MRI scheduled for next week so that is the lastest diagnosis for knee/back. Knee injured multiple times in the military and full Left ACL torn out in the Gulf War and casualty to Germany. I walked around on it for 3 or 4 days all swollen could not sleep and extreme pain until I asked for medic to look at it. All I wanted was a brace and some meds to stay engaged but field hospital DR did the draw test and realized it was gone and waited another 3 days or so in the rear field hospital and Scud/patriot hits/misses. So that's the history. Repaired summer 91, served another 6 years, jump injury, profiles, MRI's etc until they I left the service. I couldn't keep up anymore. Got out and luckily got a desk job so no manual labor and no new injuries while a civilian to my knee. I have a copy of my SMR/STR but no surgery info because it was done in Germany 1991.

The PAD was discovered by civilian DR's (but I have two instances of high cholesterol/trig 350/1500 1994 while taking Accutane for acne in SMR and was never put on meds) only because of complaints of left calf pain and lower back pain which I connected to something with my knee being a layman about it. My xray and MRI for my lower back and ortho DR's found that my pulse was weak in both legs but my left they could barely find. Also they found the AAA(abdominal aortic aneurysm) and PAD was diagnosed by the vascular surgeon. PAD diagnosis was Aug/Sep 2014.

And I have had PAD bypass surgery for the left leg only at present. That is the same leg/knee for all my injuries and surgery in the military. I'm tentative to do my right because that is my strong leg, left still has atrophy and always did since surgery in 1991. I have to see if my vascular DR will give me the OK to try and fix whatever it is minor/major for my left knee before doing bypass on my right leg. Because right now if I do my right leg my left is not strong enough to carry the load while the right recovers. Catch22. But vascular DR says my right will need to be done and will continue to get worse because of arteriosclerosis obliterans. I tried to manage cholesterol by diet and limited exercise (walking only because of my deficient left knee).

Now I have bad hips and back because of always adjusting for the bad knee, ortho asked if I wanted to might right knee for MRI, I said no thought it was too much but now I"m reconsidering because the stress I've put on my right side. This same DR 11 months ago who assisted discovering my PAD and AAA wrote on examination "patient walks with a mildly antalgic gait". SMR records show no gait and gait if I remember correctly on different exams over the final years in service.

So I think I can thread this together. SC for the my left knee is paramount, and was never ever right up until I left the service or there after. I consistently had to RICE, avoid load bearing on that side, can't squat, can't kneel on it, the front of the knee feels like it going to pop out, it locks, swells, grinds, clicks, you name it does it but I guess it has full flexion I've read the regs for that so I understand that part but always with pain associated and movement.

Being young and dumb I thought it was just what you do and move on with your life and if you ever need help with it since veteran I go to the VA for help. And that is where I am today. But I'm using private insurance to fill the gap until C&P exams are done etc. So I'm making do.

I haven't even started on residual for neck cervical spasms/right shoulder issues. Dominant hand that side. Vertigo emergency room twice. And there a few more but I'll stop here and stay focused on the knee/back.

And thank you Berta for all you support and service to Veterans and their families.

Edited by spearhead91

Wow , you deal with a lot.

"The PAD was discovered by civilian DR's (but I have two instances of high cholesterol/trig 350/1500 1994 while taking Accutane for acne in SMR and was never put on meds)"

PAD is often due to atherosclerosis which can sure cause PAD. I imagine accutane has many many side affects as well.

Are you on any cholesterol controlling meds now?

Were you ever exposed to any "cold injury' in service such as frostbite? There is some association between cold injuries ,such as frostbite)and PAD.

"from an August 2001 rating decision by the above
Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Regional Office (RO), in
pertinent part finding that new and material evidence had not
been submitted to reopen the claim for service connection for
residuals of frostbite of the feet."

ORDER

Service connection for arteriosclerosis obliterans of the
right lower leg and foot is granted."

http://www.va.gov/vetapp09/Files1/0904232.txt

and
"The medical evidence shows that from the time
of the October 1997 VA examination, the veteran has carried a
diagnosis of peripheral vascular disease of the lower
extremities and the condition identified as a likely residual
of the cold injuries to his feet. Thus, an evaluation for
peripheral vascular disease of the lower extremities in
addition to the ratings for cold injury to the feet is
specifically authorized by the amended regulation. Id.; see
also Esteban."

http://www.va.gov/vetapp01/files02/0110562.txt

I assume they have ruled out diabetes as cause of the PAD and it might be a stretch to even mention inservice possible frostbite
but it would be good if you could support the PAD claim as well as the other issues, as possibly service connected.

Nothing is impossible.!!!

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.