VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

S/c For Knee And Seconday Back/hip Issues?

Rate this question

spearhead91

Question

I've only just started the VA Claim in the past few weeks. I've learned a lot so far. But the more your read/learn the more questions you have. So I'm reaching out to try and understand the following. I've had multiple injuries to my knee while on active duty and in my SMR/STR which I have my 3 paper copies, 1 in firesafe and, 3 digital storage locations and a USB stick I carry with me. I have done absolutely NO damage to my knee since I left the service. I drive a mouse for a living and a liberal work environment where we can get walk around etc so no sedentary work and I was fortunate enough to be able to do that once I left the service voluntarily and honorably. Gulf War Vet. I would not have been able to do physical manual labor or standing anything for long periods of time if I had too. If one looked at my records while in service they would ask "where are your other records" because it's almost 70% knee issues. My knee story in a nut shell: injury/injury/ACL tear/surgery/injury back to the grind of full time active duy while nursing a messed up knee pain/swelling/lockups continued up until the day I ETSed. I hobbled around the last few years to sick call/ortho/profiles for running my last few years. My impression was they were never ever never going to send me to a MRB or whatever it's called. So I had two choice stay or leave and I didn't want to but I did.

So I submitted for left knee pain and back pain among other issues with VSO Rep.

I had an ortho DR visit and X-ray done for my knee this week and now MRI getting setup(I had an MRI right before I got out says Mild PF arthritis, loose body laterally Possible PFDS?). I haven't even started neck/shoulder issues but listed them also when starting claim with VSO rep.
I have searched these individually and sort of understand them isolated but what is it altogether?
Knee
*Derangement of posterior horn of medial meniscus
*Chondromalacia of patella
*Localized, primary osteoarthritis
*Localized, primary osteoarthritis of the pelvic region and thigh
Back
*Displacement of Lumbar Intervertebral Disc without Myelopathy
*Degeneration of Lumbosacral Intervertebral Disc
*Compression Deformities
*Low Back Pain
*Pain in Limb
I'm trying to wrap my head around all this. And suffering through PAD both legs and had surgery on one already. I feel like I'm truly falling apart. I only be 49 in two months.
Edited by spearhead91

My insurance denied my other knee MRI because I haven't been under care for 6 weeks for it. I've been going to ortho for my back almost a year now for crying out loud. Well anyway Ortho DR is going to look at getting a medically necessary brace to keep more damage from occurring and help with prep for potential scope and a new ACL reconstruction(dreading as first go around was not good). Very nervous about that. Not about the ortho DR he's great, just my personal preference maybe. So my decision is possibly do PT and brace have bypass surgery done on other leg for PAD than after 6 months or so do the full scope of knee and ACL repair. I'm of the mind to wait and let the VA C&P my knee first because I have the private DR's diagnosis and MRI reports at the ready.

Should I have my Ortho DR do the DBQ for my knee? I'm not sure he can do the back/lumbar DDD DBQ as the spine DR who reviewed my lumbar MRI said he's seen worse(didn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling at all)my pain management DR has me up for another ESI shot for my back soon. And I'm up late again reading/learning/stressed/anxiety/reliving all the stuff from time in service. Nothing bad, just remembering times/events/injuries/the first time, second, third, fourth and fifth all with my knee. Why did I keep going after the third injury which tore out my ACL in the middle of the war I don't know. Pride? I walked around for 3 days/nights no sleep because of the pain and swelling until I broke. I could do no more.

And my VSO rep still hasn't contacted me back. When I look at the regs for PAD etc I should not even be working right now even though I have a desk job the sitting for long periods is a no go. And I picked some calypso beans in the garden my only passion right now, I can't do sports hike, bike because of knee/back and that little bit of gardening has my back all flared and pain had to ice twice and it's 0201AM LT and I'm still up for work at 0800AM LT. This is going on nightly now. And my job is sucking serious right now. I can't continue to do both take care of me and do a full time job because of all the various issues I have. I'm not sure even how to walk away right now because my insurance is great for everything else. But staying locked into a job just for that is keeping me from getting healthy. My full time job should be getting healthy and I can't. I feel trapped.

Spearhead91,

You stuck between a rock and a hard place, a catch-22, danged if you do and danged if you don't, can't win for losing type of situation. I feel that pain, every day! I can't get a different job, cuz it will pay less, and won't have nearly as good benefits. Got mouths to feed, bills to pay, and my body is just gonna wear out. I too gave up many physical activities I loved, bcuz I can't do them and work. One or the other, body won't handle both. Since leisure activities usually don't pay, or even cost $, they had to go. Hamster wheel is spinning so fast the bearing is glowing red hot!

Yep we sure are Andyman. Off for hearing aides this afternoon finally using private healthcare coverage. And that's why my wife and I garden we both came from families that gardened and canned and we had the room to do. Supplements the food stock/supplies. Look up Mel Square foot gardening for reference.

To everybody reading this it is a slow roll and I hope you're fortunate enough to have good medical insurance to fill the gap while waiting. When I look at the regs I shouldn't even be working at a desk or standing at the desk. I should just be breathing or reading a book or picking some beans now and than and hopefully be able to enjoy another 20 years of life. But work and health could cut that in half if not more. A crying shame it is.

No hearing aides yet. What a CF this is. Insurance provider has one company that pays out the benefits at 100% coverage which ultimately points you to a Miracle Ear provider. Their website does not list any models whatsoever so that's a major turn off. I might actually take the Out of network hit and only get 80% coverage and CC the rest at 0%. Pathetic that even with private health care coverage this is taking 2 months and still have no hearing aides.

No news on knee brace yet and discussion of my options for surgery and what I can have done for my knee and than bypass done on the other leg. Constant hold pattern now with 5 steps forward and 6 steps back.

Learned a new phrase from my lumbar back MRI...from website: http://www.treatpains.com/neural-foraminal-stenosis/

"intermittent neurogenic claudication is manifested as leg pain, weakness and numbness on walking. The symptoms are relieved when the patient sits and rests for a few minutes.

The symptoms of neural foraminal stenosis develop and get worse gradually over a course of several years. The symptoms of leg pain and low back pain are worse after standing and walking and the more the duration of exertion is, the worse the symptoms become."

So my PAD caused my calf claudication which resolved post bypass surgery BUT more importantly my one foot and both sometimes are the results of this. I've been studying and reading my reports to understand every aspect of the MRI's.