Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Process For New Claim

Rate this question

bolt_vet23

Question

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction regarding a PTSD claim. I separated from the service about 10 years ago and never claimed PTSD. However, after talking to fellow vets and a few things going on in my life, I met with the local vet center and they said that I have PTSD symptoms. I'm going to continue seeing the rep from the vet center, but am not sure if I should submit a claim now for PTSD, request a PTSD evaluation with the VA prior to the claim, or request an independent evaluation? I've read online that only the VA or an approved VA doctor can diagnose claims so is there any value in the independent assessment?

Appreciate any assistance.

" I've read online that only the VA or an approved VA doctor can diagnose claims so is there any value in the independent assessment?"

In my opinion that type of evaluation could be valuable for a higher percentage, at some point, for PTSD, but not for the initial PTSD diagnosis.

Also, unless you fall into the 2010 PTSD regulations as to close proximity and fear of hostile activity , or have a PTSD MST claim or PTSD of any non combat nature, ) you will need to prove your stressor (s)

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Hi Berta,

I'm assuming that you're referring to this, "According to the VA press release dated July 12, 2010: "Under the new rule, VA would not require corroboration of a stressor related to fear of hostile military or terrorist activity if a VA doctor confirms that the stressful experience recalled by a Veteran adequately supports a diagnosis of PTSD and the Veteran's symptoms are related to the claimed stressor. Previously, claims adjudicators were required to corroborate that a non-combat Veteran actually experienced a stressor related to hostile military activity. This final rule simplifies the development that is required for these cases." The "VA reduces the evidence needed if the trauma claimed by a Veteran is related to fear of hostile military or terrorist activity and is consistent with the places, types, and circumstances of the Veteran’s service.""

I'm going to assume that I would fall under the new regulation (not sure how they could use different regulations based on the date of claim, but it is the VA) based on the date of my claim.

Thanks for the info.

Here is what you need to do.

1) you will have to prove two things. That the PTSD is from something that happened in service and also that it is affecting you now (and how badly, etc.)

2)Go on Ebenefits and start a Claim todya. This will lock in your date. you have a year to finish it, but start the claim today and take the month or year to accumulate evidence. Dont rush it, get as much evidence as possible. Personally I would wait 3-6 months to accumulate more evidence via VA psychiatrist and Vet Center Psychologist to show 3-6 months of treatment and have a longer record of care.

3) keep going to the Vet Center psych. Tell them that you will be seeking a disability claim with the VA and if they could help do a DBQ for you as well as get copies of their session notes for the claim.

3) request to see a VA Psyciatrist, he will prescribe you pills most likely. This will help show you have symptoms that are affecting your life. Its important to show that YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS NOW and that you ARE SEEKING TREATMENT. the psychiatrist and the vet center counseling will show this.

4) If you can afford it contact a private psych to do a DBQ and a IMO/IME. This will cost money. If you PM me i can put you in contact with one. This is important. if you can afford it do this, do this, do this. If the vet center wont do one, or theirs is less favorable than the civilian one, submit the one that will assist your claim the most.

5) never lie, but for the sake of a DBQ whether form the VA for the comp and pen exam that is sure to come or the vet center/private psych tell them how your worst day not your best or how you are today. however you describe it when they ask "how are you doing today" or "what are you feeling now" is how it is officially.

6) Once you submit the claim then the VA will start the process. If they accept the private DBQ as "sufficient for rating purposes" as they did with mine no exam will be ordered. they probably still will though.

You are correct though only a VA doc can make the initial diagnosis for PTSD. If you have a private Psych do this then its worth nothing. The VA has to do it. Thats why i would go to a VA psychiatrist first and explain that you are having issues. Tell them your worst day what htey are and how they affect your. Also explain where the issues stem from. i dont know you or your service, but if its from iraq/afghanistan or MST then explain that. "It all started after a mortar attack on our base...." if you say that in the last few years you have been suffereing from ______ and "it just started i dont know why" you are not connecting it to a inservice event regardless if its PTSD, anxiety or depression. Dont lie, thats not what im saying, if its not from service dont try to claim it. If it is then connect the dots for them.

Be aware that if they ask "how are you today" tell them about your worst day. Dress as you normally dress, dont dress up or dress down. Why not? Dressing down to look shitty is a lie, and dressing up like its a business meeting is a lie in a way, but a lie that will hurt you.

If they ask about your childhood, dont start gushing about everything, often VA likes to try and twist your PTSD to make it sound like it happened before you came in. 'My dad was never around' or 'mom drank alot' can be twisted into "Veteran exhibits stressors that occurred prior to service" while you still might be able to make a case for in service aggravation this will make the claim harder.

Here is a link to my post on how to gather and submit evidence for help on that part.

1) get diagnosis of PTSD by the VA

-mentioned above

2) prove that the stressor that caused it was

-I would start gathering evidence for your stressor, such as, if it was a mortar attack, photos you took. I would start getting friends you were in with to corroborate you story with "sworn declarations" (see my post link above). This is not for the diagnosis, but to prove that what caused your PTSD was a event that occured while you were in.

3) Prove how it adversely affects your life now.

Edited by USMC_VET

70% - PTSD

->50% - OSA (Secondary to PTSD)

30% - Bilateral Pes Planus w/Plantar Fasciitis

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

0% - bilateral shin splints

USMC_Vet,

I had my initial MH eval/consult 2 weeks ago, and go again on the 3rd of August. My question is....suicide, thoughts of, one or more attempts/near attempts, while on AD, and such...how much do you say? I told the MH doc that I battle such thoughts constantly.

Semper Fi.

Andy

USMC_Vet,

I had my initial MH eval/consult 2 weeks ago, and go again on the 3rd of August. My question is....suicide, thoughts of, one or more attempts/near attempts, while on AD, and such...how much do you say? I told the MH doc that I battle such thoughts constantly.

Semper Fi.

Andy

Is this a MH eval through the VA?

What im guessing you are asking is "how much truth do i tell without putting myself down a road i dont want to be on"

You want to be honest but you dont want to be considered "unfit to handle finances" or not be able to go rifle hunting or be put inpatient.

I m in the same boat brother. I have had these issues however i have kept them out of any official VA document and had the IMO doc remove references from his report and my DBQ.

There is no easy answer or set of directions i can point you to like the ratings for PTSD are.

There is no "if Suicidal ideation over 3 days a month loss of firearms, over 10 mandatory inpatient program"

Its kind of up to the doctors and raters

The best way to guard against having the VA say you arent fit to handle your finances is to have a private psych to a DBQ and IMO and in the section of the DBQ make sure they check the box that says you are ok to handle your own finances.

As far as firearms go i know this is very rare but it does happen, inpatient treatment against your will Ie getting locked up for observation? also i beleive at the discretion of the doctor.

In reality fighting the va for compensation is par tof th ebattle, the bigger part is actually getting treatment and get better. I think that this is more important than the money. If you really do think about this constantly then you should be seeking help brother. We all think that "well i have these thoughts but i would never do it" maybe so, but if some family tragedy hits, or bad couple of months you never know. Thats why i finally decided to go and seek private therapy.

as far as the compensation goes having suicideal ideation and attempts in the past combined with some other things from the schedule of ratings should get you into the 70-100%. if you get 70% you can file for TDIU as well if the symptoms are bad enough to keep you from being able to get even menial low paying jobs

seek help brother. thats the most important part.

70% - PTSD

->50% - OSA (Secondary to PTSD)

30% - Bilateral Pes Planus w/Plantar Fasciitis

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

0% - bilateral shin splints

USMC_Vet,

Welp....first things first, I own no firearms, I do hold two, one for each of my kids, rifles their Pap, who left us last year, left for them. 2ndly, my wife(the boss) handles the finances, and our credit score is in the mid to upper 700 range.

My suicide attempts or near attempts all happened while on AD. Once I nearly cut my wrists, the long way, fellow Marine interrupted me. A few times I drank myself unconscious. Once I was out for 3 days.

I initiated the contact with my local VAMC MH department by calling "Peggy" and she put me through to the hot line. My PCP signed a waiver to have me seen by MH without him seeing me first. Thanks doc for that one.

I told the MH doc that I get these brain fires, where it feels like my head is cooking from the inside out. He told me that, while not very common, he does have experience in his 30 yrs, of dealing with Vets with that. Said it's usually with the long tempered types, who bottle it up for years and years, then explode like a dormant volcano waking up.

Biggest thing was, I thought I was alone in this, since I don't have a Nexus event, I'm not combat experienced, or combat arms for that matter. And had no personal trauma. I figured I was not eligible for treatment.