Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Compensation/civil-Service Disability Pension And Ss Di

Rate this question

harrysday

Question

I was just recently awarded 80% from the VA and I am in the process of getting medically retired from the fire department due to a heart attack my question is can I claim SSdi I paid all my quarters MIA able to claim all three without getting into any claim issues thanks ahead for the help

The hitch is, when you are under 62, there is an offset between FERS and SSDI. when you reach 62 under FERS there is a re-computation to include time on FERS disability and ending the SSDI offset that gets you a few more bones per month.

YES, there was an offset and of course, even after adding SSDI & FERS, I was not making as much $$$$ as I did when drawing civil service pay. When I turned 62, my FERS disability was changed over to FERS retirement. However, I look at it this way, I had some money coming in, and still do, from FERS & SSDI.

The hitch is, when you are under 62, there is an offset between FERS and SSDI. when you reach 62 under FERS there is a re-computation to include time on FERS disability and ending the SSDI offset that gets you a few more bones per month.

zeelarry, are you saying there is an offset to the overall FERS retirement or an offset to the "social security offset" portion of the FERS retirement that Feds receive until age 62?