VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Brain Volume Loss

Rate this question

mymissie

Question

I wrote a couple of days ago about my CT an the matter of my losing Brain Volume.

I went to see a VA Neurologist,this past Tuesday. She says it is nothing to worry about,and said a lot of nothing. She stuck a needle in my scalp a few times,then on my legs,

An guess what?? She also says that the medicine could be the cause of my losing Brain volume. Too much medication working against each other. She showed more interest in my hands,legs,and feet then in my Brain.

I have Peripheral Neuropathy,stocking & glove- at this point mostly the problem is in my feet-legs. I live in constant pain,even taking up to 6 Loratab 10 a day.Was on 3000MG Gabapentin(Neuroton) a day. I use a cane an have a lot of trouble walking. I am,at this time not SC for Peripheral Neuropathy. Its of unknown etiology( Maybe drugs interaction,chemical,etc)

Sorry its so long-Comments Please.

Following is from my file-got it same day.

Plantar- Flexor Bilateraly.

Sensory-Both ue- Intact to all primary sensory modalities,except mild impairement of vibration in both hands.

Both LE-Intact light touch/PP/Position.

Moderately impaired Vibratory sensation in both feet/legs.

Cerebellar-no Dysmetria on heel to shin Bilateraly.

No Dysmetria on F-N-F Bilareraly.

Ram- Intact Bilateraly.

Guilt/Station-- Walks with a cane--Favors left leg.

He say he can not walk on heels/toes.

A-1. Cognitive impairement ( multiple etiological factors such as PTSD,Depressive Disorder,Medication side effects,etc.)

2. Peripheral Neuropathy.

P.1. Recommond PCP to review meds,if that does not improve cognition may try Aricept 5 to 10 MG/Day .

What are your thoughts??

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Mymissee

I would go to a neurologist outside the VA and get a second opinion. Half the people here have nearly been killed by VA doctors. If you become suspicious of the competence of your doctor start looking for someone else. It is better to pay than to die from neglect and malpractice.

Yes, if your not satisfied then get a second opinion.

The good news is that nothing is seriously wrong. Volume loss in most cases is not serious. It happens to all of us. But some more than others and there can be a wide range of reasons.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think the doc is necissarilly wrong. It would be very scary to hear your brain is shrinking a little faster than normal but I can't think of a single serious disease that would cause it without it showing on MRI.

I hope this helps to relax you some.

Time

Some causes for brain volume loss.

Dementia-Alzhiemers:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/544477

Depression-Ptsd-mental disorders:

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/72/81511.htm

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:t-dZOX...=clnk&cd=30

Cushings Syndrome:

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/87/5/1949

Alcohol and drug use:

No links provided, speaks for itself.

With a history of Depression, PTSD or other mental impairiments, most docs are going to consider some amount of accelerated brain tissue loss as normal for the circumstances. Future dementia is possible but cannot be predicted by volume loss in a depressed or PTSD person because some volume loss can be expected anyway.

Hope this helps.

Time