Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ommissions On Soc

Rate this question

free_spirit_etc

Question

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/admin21/m21_1/mr/part1/ch05.doc

d. Matters Not to Be Disclosed in an SOC Do not include matters in an SOC of a sensitive nature that would be injurious to the physical or mental health of the appellant, including

• matters considered by responsible medical authority to be injurious to the appellant’s health

• references to

 a prognosis of “poor” or “terminal,” or

 conditions of misconduct, unless the specific misconduct is relevant to the issue, or

• discussions of evidence in a way that might provoke feelings of hostility, resentment, or rejection on the part of the appellant or his/her family.

19. Preparing an SOC, Continued

e. Disclosing Information to the Appellant’s Representative All matters can be disclosed to the appellant’s designated representative unless disclosure to the representative would be as harmful as if made to the appellant. Therefore, in some cases, two different versions of the SOC may be prepared when it is permissible to furnish full information to the representative.

Use the table below when disclosing information to the appellant’s representative.

If the appellant … And the … Then …

has a representative matters omitted from the appellant’s SOC can be released to his/her representative • prepare a separate SOC for the appellant and omit matters not to be disclosed

• furnish copies of the edited SOC to both the representative and the appellant, and

• annotate the representative’s copy and the original SOC (full statement) to show what portions were deleted from the copy sent to the appellant.

Note: Annotate the statements to the effect that the material omitted from the appellant’s SOC is not to be revealed to him/her.

19. Preparing an SOC, Continued

e. Disclosing Information to the Appellant’s Representative (continued)

If the appellant … And the … Then …

matters omitted from the appellant’s SOC cannot be released to his/her representative, such as information that might provoke feelings of hostility, resentment, or rejection on the part of the representative • prepare a modified statement omitting these matters

• furnish copies of the edited SOC to the appellant and his/her representative, and

• annotate the original SOC to show that matters not to be disclosed to the appellant or his/her representative were omitted from their copies.

does not have a representative SOC contains matters not to be disclosed to the appellant • eliminate those specific references from the SOC that will be furnished to the appellant, and

• annotate the original SOC (full statement) to show what portions were deleted from the copy sent to the appellant.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Hey! That's fine! B) I just ran across it when I was looking for something else...and posted it in case it applied -- but didn't take the time to try to figure it all out - thought I would just throw it out there (in case it would help) and leave ot to you. B)

Free

Free Spirit

I don't think it applies because I was service connected for schizophrenia but the other mental conditions were included in the rating decision but were not given individual ratings. Vike17 knows what I am talking about with the VA rating system for mental disorders. It does not really matter since the rating is what counts and not diagnosis. 100% is 100% but if for mental condition you can't work even if you are schedular.