Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Vs Smr History?

Rate this question

Punisher

Question

Folks,

Another quick question, how does a Veteran's SMR history compare with the C&P Exam from the Rater's view? It seems like they'd only care about what the C&P says, rather than the history.

In my case, I was on heavy steroids (Advair powder inhaler) for asthma for years, however, hadn't been or had any major episodes since PCS'ing to my current duty station 3 years ago. So I'm wondering if that will matter at all.

Thanks!

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It actually does matter. For direct service connection (SC), they have to link problems from active duty to active problems. I recommend going through your SMR's and any non-military or VA medical records. If you have paper records, look on the back pages too.

By itself, daily Advair (inhaled steroids) could equate to a 30% asthma rating. Having this in your SMR's shows treatment of it. The goal of those meds is to not have any episodes, so by not having any, what they are giving you must be working.

They may also send you to the pulmonary clinic for PFT's. This will be to determine the FEV1%'s and compare that to the rating criteria. Regardless, whatever criteria provides the highest rating should be used.

I say could, should, etc.. because getting SC in the biggest part. Once SC, they 'should' follow the rating table.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

In my last post, I meant that I had taken the Advair for years, but stopped it before coming here and hadn't had any major episodes in this location. Other duty stations I still had wheezing dispite using Allegra, Flonase for my sinus, and regular Albuterol inhalers. So, I was put on the Advair, which worked well. I was hoping having all that in my SMR would help, but I've read on Hadit that if conditions haven't appeared over the course of the last year, the VA wouldn't rate it.