Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Resource Center

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Anybody know how good a VRC (Veterans Resource Center) is helping with filing claims?

MH PTSD claim and Scar Claim.

We have a new one here in Dallas just 2 blocks south of the VAMC.

Thanks

..............Buck

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Buck, I have no experience or exposure to the Vets Centers, but unless they keep copies of NVLSP's Veterans Benefits Manuals on their desks, I wouldn't want to file my claim thru them!

I have a lot of respect for NVLSP's attorney's and staff, and their publications are a MUST HAVE for any vets advocate. The manuals are expensive but you might be able to borrow a copy http://www.nvlsp.org/

They pretty much wrote the Book for Vietnam Vets on filing/winning thier PTSD claims.

New Claim for you?? Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Wings,

I help some veterans right now I'm helping one waiting on his Service Records From St Louis.

I am rated 90% combined over all and jump up to TDIU P&T, I Worked that claim myself and help from Hadit members this was back in 2002, so I've had this rating now for almost 14 years come next Month.

Anywayz I was just wondering about the VRC I Notice they do claims also.

As for me right now I don't have a claim filed but I been thinking about it and maybe get HB for SMC's, we sure could use the extra$$ don't everybody eh!

I Been keeping this inside me for years and years and here last June my spouse went with me to my PCP appointment check-up and she told the Doc everything about my behavior and nightmares sweats ect,,always aloner ect,,ect,,..usually she would just wait out in the waiting room. & after all these years it came out! eh!

Anyway the Doc Sent me over to MH and they did an evaluation me and diagnosed me with ptsd and moderately to severe depression manifested by by ptsd.

so yeah I was thinking bout filing a FDC.....just need to look at some records first, check my stressors.

I have the VA Medical but need a nexus to connect things, I think my MH Doc will do that if I ask her...she ask me today if I was going to file a claim on ptsd I told her I don't know yet.

Anyway yes I agree with you about the NVLSPs I wish I had the manuals and well worth the $$ just can't afford one right now, The Veteran Bible or Miss nexus lexis...LoL

So I just look up the Regs & VA Law do the best I can and I learn a lot from Ms berta, Ms Tbird, Asknod.

PR, Carlie, Jbasser, Georgiapapa , Gastone , broncovet members like that and some others too here on hadit.

Hadit is my favorite pass time!

so far I been lucky and the manual I count on is here in Hadit :) its free :) but Well Appreciated.

I don't know about filing my claim? need to think on it...as I know I need to get the effected date in effect tomorrow.

I been tied up helping another veteran and if I start my claim I may just go insane...so to speak eh!

Anyways that's bout it...

Thanks

...............Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck, If the Vets Center is close by, go in and look around, see wat kind of resources they have for veterans; maybe a public library, computers, literature and whatnot. Maybe there's friendly, knowledgable people working there? Even iif they don't have what you need, it might be a good fit for another vet. I live pretty far from most resources that, like you, most of my help is on-line from Hadit. Write your own unoffical nexus statement and share it with your MH provider. Help her connect the dots, if she doesn't agree, she doesn't have to make a statement ... Hope you have a good day ;-) Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Wings I appreciate any help on this,

what would you suggest as how I write out my own nexus statement?

would something like this work?

DATE ____________

Reference: (Veteran's name) ____________

SS# ____________________ VA File #____________________

To Whom It May Concern,

I am Dr. ____________. I am board certified to practice in my specialty. My credentials are included. I have been asked to write a statement in support of the afore mentioned veterans claim.

I have personally reviewed his medical history. (Name the Documents) I have also reviewed and have noted the circumstances and events of his military service in the years ____________ (Event or Events claimed as the cause of the condition) while he served during his military service. (List dates of service)

Mr. ___________ is a patient under my care since (enter Date). His diagnosis is _____________ (Name the Condition).

I am familiar with his history and have examined Mr.____________ often while he has been under my care. (Specify Lab Work, X-rays, Etc.)

Mr.____________ has no other known risk factors that may have precipitated his current condition.

After a review of the pertinent records it is my professional opinion that it is at least as likely as not that Mr. ____________'s condition is a direct result of his (Event) as due to his military service. (Choose the degree of likelihood with which you can concur - "at least as likely as not", "more than likely", or "highly likely")

In my personal experience and in the medical literature it is known (Give a rationale).

Signed,

Dr. ____________

(List credentials and contact information) (for probative value)

Or in your opinion do you think a DBQ would be better?

Thanks

............Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

Is there any difference (probative speaking) in a DBQ or a Nexus Statement? which one carries more weight?

Anybody know?

.............Buck

They are both different. You probably need them both. The DBQ describes the problem you are having, and how it impacts you. The Nexxus statement is the Physician's opinion that it is caused by your military service.