VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Ptsd But Did Not Take Out Misdiagnosis Of Bipolar

Rate this question

lynnga

Question

In 2003 During a traumatic event I was hospitalized for four days and given a bipolar diagnosis. I enlisted under past childhood sexual abuse that was waived for entry. I was sent off base, I don't believe they ever reviewed the events that lead to hospitalization and just came up with bipolar. I was honorably discharged in 2006 and was on inactive reserve until 2009. During my exit eval I told the dr I did not believe I was bipolar, how can someone be bipolar for four days. Anyway she put that my diagnosis was "deferred". Since then I've seen many drs on anxiety, insomnia and depressed mood (all of which combined in my 30% adjustment disorder rating) I also get another 20% for headaches, tinnitus and back issues. No other drs can agree with bipolar and I was finally diagnosed correctly with ptsd. Even my va dr said bipolar is "ruled out". However the c&p dr still put in bipolar and even wrote he did not review hard files of military records, outside med records or my c file. How the hell, does a dr you see for 30 mins decide against 6 other drs that bipolar stands and that he can't differentiate between the symptoms of bipolar vs ptsd when I've had unexplained pelvic pain, nausea and other symptoms that go hand in hand? It was service connected due to the traumatic event but this is bull.... I have the right for them to take responsibility for THEIR screw up in not diagnosing me correctly or even evaluating me further to come to the PTSD diagnosis that is clear with events in my military file and medical records. If I had been diagnosed correctly the first time I would have gotten the help I needed then instead of just now (going into a women trauma center for 2-3 months inpatient). I was denied increase in 2010 for anxiety and such because they still looked at the bipolar disorder, when I was being seen by a therapist for anxiety and trying to get to the source of why I was choosing the men I was choosing (physically emotionally abusive) subconsciously. Along with fear of intimacy. If that doesn't scream ptsd with all my other symptoms, I don't know what does. I just feel had they looked further I wouldn't have gone to rock bottom 10+ years later because I was being treated for something I didn't have and only being treated for anxiety, insomnia and depressed moods. I did not react to bipolar meds so was never given any.

How is this fair? Does this mean they're not going to take responsibility and only go back to when I requested another increase because I could no longer leave the house without panic attacks? That just doesn't seem right. Had I got the help before, I probably never would be where I'm at today. I feel I deserve for them to take responsibility.

What are my options. I have 6 doctors to say I am NOT bipolar! Should I sue? I haven't got the decision yet but I can see my C&P exam, the ptsd is linked to in service, there is a stressor and it does say I am totally inable to work due to all my symptoms. But I really feel they need to man up. I will not be happy with them saying "oh, your bipolar just got worse". Hell no, what got worse is untreated PTSD because of your systems messed up evals so I never got the treatment I needed. If that isn't emotional damage I don't know what is!

What do I do if they only go back to this last claim opened in dec 2014? My symptoms were worsening since I got out, but they didn't even bother to see it. Back in 2010 it was getting worse but after my increase was denied I said screw it and saw care outside of the va, only until I could no longer leave the house did I file another increase.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

"Back in 2010 it was getting worse but after my increase was denied I said screw it and saw care outside of the va, only until I could no longer leave the house did I file another increase."

Do you mean you applied for an increase in the adjustment disorder, rated at 30% at that time?

All of the MHs are rated the same way (as far as comp goes)

But I do understanmd why you are upset about all this.

The C & P shows you have what you need, as long as you can prove the stressor or if it falls into the 2010 PTSD criteria here in our PTSD forum...'close proximity to and fear of hostile fire'

"I was being treated for something I didn't have and only being treated for anxiety, insomnia and depressed moods" but that all is part of most PTSD treatments plans.

If they (VA)gave you inappropriate meds however, and they caused you to have additional disability,that would be a basis for a 1151 or a FTCA case.

Hopefully your claim will be properly awarded.

Can you scan and attach here ( cover C file num,ber ,name, address prior to scanning) the last denial you got?

and if the outside care was for PTSD ,does VA have those medical records?