Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Inarticulate&Distorted

Question

Hello, been lurking here on the forums and reading all the information i can get. Have an upcoming C&P exam and i am confused as to what it is actually for. a bit of a back story, last year i filed for PTSD with depression and anger issues, had a horrible VSO from a Missouri Veterans Commission. I never even got the chance to send in all of my civilian medical records, i never got to send in my Statement in Support of my claim. the gentleman told me to take those with me to the C&P Exam, thing is,i was denied and never even got a C&P. I took my denial letter plus some of my records from my VA folder to the Disable American Veterans and the person filed a "reajidication" for Emotional Adjustment Disorder with Depression, which is what i was diagnosed with while in Ft. Benning GA. so here it is a few months later, and i have a C&P in Hillsboro Oregon, and i don't even know what the exam is actually for. i received a letter from the VA stating that since they have reopened my initial PTSD claim i need to submit new evidence, or file a NOD, or file a CUE claim, the thing is, since going to the DAV i have been sending them more civilian med recs, more counseling statements from the Drill Sergeants and things like that, it's called unsolicited information and i printed it off from EBenefits. on Ebenefits i see that my PTSD claim is now reopened, and my Emotional Adjustment Disorder with Depression Claim is still in the Gathering of Evidence phase. but under History of claims it still shows my original PTSD claim as closed....so i am fairly confused, frustrated, and hoping someone here can chat with me a little about what i can expect from the convoluted aspect of the whole process. 

Check the e-benefits appeals tracking tab to see if your PTSD claim is listed there. You'll need to use the mobile site because the appeals tracking on the main site is down until September. Here's the mobile site address:  https://m.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/portletHtml/Mobile/index.html

Let me know is you see your PTSD there. I have a pretty good idea of what's going on, but I want to know if you see it there before I open my mouth.

No, it is not listed there.

Some more info real quick, my Intent to file with the PTSD was June of 2014, claim started october of 2014, denied February of 2015. Reajidication and Emotional Adjustment started May of 2015. Was supposed to have a C&P in Fayetville Arkansas on July 31st but i moved and got it rescheduled to Oregon for September 8th

Edited by Inarticulate&Distorted
spelling

Hello, been lurking here on the forums and reading all the information i can get. Have an upcoming C&P exam and i am confused as to what it is actually for. a bit of a back story, last year i filed for PTSD with depression and anger issues, had a horrible VSO from a Missouri Veterans Commission. I never even got the chance to send in all of my civilian medical records, i never got to send in my Statement in Support of my claim. the gentleman told me to take those with me to the C&P Exam, thing is,i was denied and never even got a C&P. I took my denial letter plus some of my records from my VA folder to the Disable American Veterans and the person filed a "reajidication" for Emotional Adjustment Disorder with Depression, which is what i was diagnosed with while in Ft. Benning GA. so here it is a few months later, and i have a C&P in Hillsboro Oregon, and i don't even know what the exam is actually for. i received a letter from the VA stating that since they have reopened my initial PTSD claim i need to submit new evidence, or file a NOD, or file a CUE claim, the thing is, since going to the DAV i have been sending them more civilian med recs, more counseling statements from the Drill Sergeants and things like that, it's called unsolicited information and i printed it off from EBenefits. on Ebenefits i see that my PTSD claim is now reopened, and my Emotional Adjustment Disorder with Depression Claim is still in the Gathering of Evidence phase. but under History of claims it still shows my original PTSD claim as closed....so i am fairly confused, frustrated, and hoping someone here can chat with me a little about what i can expect from the convoluted aspect of the whole process. 

1) I hope you dropped that VSO and filed a complaint with the MVC, he is either untrained, stupid or malicious to insinuate that bringin evidence to the exam is just as good and the same as sending it in the eevidence intake center and having it logged into your C-File for use by the rater.  An exactly as happened to you, to say just hold on to it until you get you C&P exam (which isnt always required) is dangerous and idiotic. 

2) if they are reopening your case then you will only get retro back to the date it was reopened its just like a new claim, if you file a NOD and request a DRO hearing then you can get the retro back to the original file date.  its up to you.  dro reviews can take 1 yr + to actually get, reopening the claim and filing as FDC will get you 6 months or less for a decision but no retro back to the original date.

3) Why they put PTSD as closed is probably because the DAV rep filed it under the emotional adjustment disorder.  since you were denied ptsd and can only have ONE mental disorder claimed your PTSD is probably denied and closed.

Personally I would go to the VA and start seeing a psychologist or go to a civilian doc, whichever works for you.  Remember that civilian psychologists cannot make a diagnosis (that is accepted by the va for claims purposes) of PTSD.  so you can go see a civilian doc, but you will have to see a va doc as well to get the diagnosis, so if you go civilian get the treatment records, diagnosis and then go to the VA doc to have them evaluate you and consider the civilian treatment records. 

If you go the VA tell them that you dont know what is wrong with you.  have them make the diagnosis and treatment.

You have 1 year to file a NOD for the PTSD claim (1 year from date that was on the denial letter).  with the pending emotional adjustment disorder, if that is granted and you have been diagnosed then that will make the PTSD claim null and void, the only way to get it back is to have your doctor write up that the PTSD is the primary issue you have the emotional adjustment disorder is secondary or caused by PTSD. 

EIther way for both you claim and your health start seeing someone.

70% - PTSD

->50% - OSA (Secondary to PTSD)

30% - Bilateral Pes Planus w/Plantar Fasciitis

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

0% - bilateral shin splints

Found out today my C&P is for EAD&Depression.....wish me luck please. since i didn't serve 2 years i don't qualify for VA healthcare, looks like i am going to have to go about it the long and drawn out way.

Found out today my C&P is for EAD&Depression.....wish me luck please. since i didn't serve 2 years i don't qualify for VA healthcare, looks like i am going to have to go about it the long and drawn out way.

Have you applied for healthcare? Those requirements are not written in stone. I served 22 months and was chaptered out with a "personality disorder" ( Had a mental health hospitalization in service) and I've had VA healthcare for years. If you haven't applied, you should.

Yes i already applied and was denied....unfortunately i cant afford a IMO as i am currently unemployed. I think im going to go through with the C&P, and file a NOD with the PTSD and ask for a DNR

Edited by Inarticulate&Distorted
spelling