Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression, should I claim primary or secondary?

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Hello,

I want to know, is it better to file for depression, my MH doc has DXd me with MDD, but didn't clarify as SC, or go for depression as secondary to chronic pain?  I have paper proof of NSAID usage since 1992 on AD and through the VA.  Thanks

Andy

At the moment I have MDD DX, and doc thinks PTSD is a bit of a stretch, at this time.  Which is why I was asking if I even have a chance at depression secondary to chronic pain, etc.

I do actually have a VSO, but don't use them.  However I'm leery of asking them for any help.  I did sign the POA, but that was before I found out about Hadit. I did speak to them a time or two, and they seemed quite helpful over the phone, but when I asked for assistance, it never came.  But I've managed to do okay with out their help, going from 40 to 80% combined disability rating, on my own.

Now, I did see somewhere on here a reference to the CFR code/reg, that states 50% for depression w/suicide ideation. 

Thanks, Buck.

Semper Fi.

Andy

I know what you mean, Iceturkee,  but slightly different...I never knew anyone else who admitted to having suicidal thoughts.  So I don't know how I'm supposed to feel either.

I really do appreciate your support.

Andy

you can always talk to me andy. i'll listen as best i can. :-)

Iceturkee,

It usually just comes without warning, a feeling of overwhelming dread/doom, or something like that. And the voices in my head start telling me that I'd make it better for everyone if I just kill myself and be done with it.  Sometimes they just whisper, and sometimes they scream and shout. 

Andy