VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression, should I claim primary or secondary?

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Hello,

I want to know, is it better to file for depression, my MH doc has DXd me with MDD, but didn't clarify as SC, or go for depression as secondary to chronic pain?  I have paper proof of NSAID usage since 1992 on AD and through the VA.  Thanks

Andy

iceturkee,

Ok, now, how did you go about filing that? So far, I have had equal success with both eBennies and using the Benefits Counselor in person. 

Andy

this was in late 2010 i believe when i filed the claim, because my c&p was in april or may 2011. i didn't use ebennies. i filed the paperwork the good ole fashion way. but i filed it specifically as a secondary claim to my chronic back pain.

i should add that during my c&p, the doc reminded me i had really bad mood swings right before my period when i was in the navy. it was so bad, i went to sick call. they gave me meds and started me on relaxation exercises.

Edited by iceturkee

Ok, then, should I wait till my active claims play out, or go ahead and file it? What did you submit as evidence? I mean, like your award letters for your SCDs? Or copies of all the C&P exams of your SCDs?  And what about meds for pain? I know that a study was recently completed that proved long term useage of NSAIDs can lead to or increase depression.

Next then is this, during your exam did they cover issues like chronic loss of sleep, alcohol or drug abuse, IBS, chronic sinusitis, etc...?  Or would all those be secondary to what...the chronic pain or depression due to chronic pain?

Thanks again,

Andy

Semper Fi.

andy,

from what i remember the psychologist who did my exam, covered just about everything including how old i was when i had my first sexual experience. i recall telling her things like i needed the television on at night because i couldn't sleep in the dark. and if i didn't have pets to care for, i wouldn't get out of bed.

if the doc is doing their job, it will no doubt be a painful experience. if i think of more, i will gladly share.

Iceturkee,

I cant even imagine what its been like. I often think that my problems are just in my head, keeping the voices company.  When ever I meet others who've been through actual traumatic events, the voices go off on me, saying things that I don't wish to repeat.

It's a viscous cycle that has kept me away from seeking help for too long.  Now that I finally did, the voices are telling me not to go back. And they keep telling me that I don't have a chance at a claim, either, despite more than enough evidence exists in my STR.   And spousal support is mostly in the form of negative comments. Which only gives the voices more ammo.

andy,

both my rheumatologist and then primary care doc plus a friend who was the then drug and alcohol social worker, told me there was no shame in seeking help for depression. i finally went on anti depressants. and i recently graduated from the telecare mental health program after 4 years. guess i learned the hard way there is no shame in admitting you have a problem. the only shame would be if it got so bad it drove you to suicide. god bless. :-)