VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression, should I claim primary or secondary?

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Hello,

I want to know, is it better to file for depression, my MH doc has DXd me with MDD, but didn't clarify as SC, or go for depression as secondary to chronic pain?  I have paper proof of NSAID usage since 1992 on AD and through the VA.  Thanks

Andy

iceturkee,

Suicidal thoughts are what finally forced me to call for help, so far the MH doc who is seeing me just wants to talk about what I'm feeling when I'm thinking things.  And what I'm thinking when I'm feeling things....and then for me to self analyze what I'm thinking, why, is it right thinking, and if so Y or Y not???  Nothing is changing, or seeming different. Except I just feel like I'm just getting brushed off.  Is this how it's supposed to go,  before I begin to feel any different? Am I supposed to feel like I'm just wasting my time, that in the end I'll be better off dead?

Seems the only thing doc is interested in is asking how often, if any, I've had suicidal thoughts or ideations since our last session.  He's got lots to say, and stuff he wants me to do or try or think about, but so far doesn't have much interest in what I have to say, or how I feel.  Maybe it really is just in my head, and not really real

iceturkee,

Suicidal thoughts are what finally forced me to call for help, so far the MH doc who is seeing me just wants to talk about what I'm feeling when I'm thinking things.  And what I'm thinking when I'm feeling things....and then for me to self analyze what I'm thinking, why, is it right thinking, and if so Y or Y not???  Nothing is changing, or seeming different. Except I just feel like I'm just getting brushed off.  Is this how it's supposed to go,  before I begin to feel any different? Am I supposed to feel like I'm just wasting my time, that in the end I'll be better off dead?

Seems the only thing doc is interested in is asking how often, if any, I've had suicidal thoughts or ideations since our last session.  He's got lots to say, and stuff he wants me to do or try or think about, but so far doesn't have much interest in what I have to say, or how I feel.  Maybe it really is just in my head, and not really real

i have never had suicidal thoughts so i'm not sure what you should or shouldn't be feeling. the fact you are seeing someone is a place to start.

I know what you mean, Iceturkee,  but slightly different...I never knew anyone else who admitted to having suicidal thoughts.  So I don't know how I'm supposed to feel either.

I really do appreciate your support.

Andy

• HadIt.com Elder

Andyman  every veterans is different  but most have the same symptoms,the therapist are just trying to take our mind off  or away from the way we think  it don't make a lick of sense to me what my therapist says to me either,   he mention a rope and me and another have  the same is strength  and same weight and everything equal    and who will win in a tug of war?..I said neither of us  he said then what do you do?..I look at him UMM hell I don't know  what would you do..he said I'd drop the rope 

no one wins...I never knew what he meant??  but just saying...it never made a lick of sense to me???

I go see my  VA Phyistrist tomorrow and I'm asking her if she will help me with my claim to either help get it SC or possibly a rating   so I'm asking her if she will fill out PTSD DBQ...I don't know if she will or not  but I'm asking....because I need to rely on these VA Doc's to help me with my claim  I can't afford to see a private Doc

Andyman

Ms berta would know what kind of advice to give you as for as your question as to  what  to file secondary to!

seems to me if you get a  VA PTSD Diagnoses then the PTSD would be what to file and  the other contentions file separate but on the same claim.

if you don't have a PTSD DX then file on the ones you have been diagnosed for  MDD. or unspecific depressive disorder. Mild to severe depression.

as long as you file for them  and your in.....>  then wait see what happens  you can always get new evidence if they deny  and appeal.  with NOD's

I wish you the best  but if your still not sure what to file or how?  Ms Berta would be the one to ask what would be best thing to do she explains it pretty good...I know I could be all wrong and I sure don't won't to give you bad advice.

just keep on hanging in there buddy.

jmo

...............Buck

Edited by Buck52

Buck,

So...are we supposed to be bringing rope to therapy? No one told me! No wonder I don't seem to be getting anywhere! Just kidding. Yah, not sure if I understand the metaphor of the rope, either. 

I hope your doc will assist you with your claim.

Dame Berta did tell me previously to "file the claim!"  That was before I was DXd with MDD by my VA MH doc. And that was before I knew about depression due to chronic pain as a secondary.  I will ask her for clarification as to which way to go, and what to do about the related issues such as IBS and sleep apnea and so on.

Thanks again for your support, Buck!

Andy

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the reason not to file Depression if you have a PTSD Dx.. with the.the mental health Regs with Depression is a form of PTSD /PTSD being a major factor with the VA...Depression comes in many symptoms and have a lower ratings  and such, PTSD has ratings at 10% most common rating is 50%  then 70% or 100% and some come with he deferred or stataory   SMC's

If you can go see a VSO and ask for advice  see what they tell you to do?  but don't make them your POA  if you have to sign a POA form before they will talk to you  get up and walk out.

Hang in there Buddy

..................Buck