Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting Myself Back Into the Workforce-Questions

Rate this question

elements430

Question

Hello All,

I was recently "awarded" 100% TDIU P&T (sorry if that's incorrect). While the benefits are great, I'm still young and feel that I can get myself back into the workforce in the near future. They changed my rating to 100% TDIU for my PTSD (70% scheduler). I was hit by a mortar, so I have some other lesser ratings that total 90% (final rating. including the 70% for PTSD). I do realize that I cannot go out and make a living over the poverty level, but I have no clue as how to proceed without gaming the system. I put in several calls to my Regional Office for Voc Rehab. They should be the ones to guide me, right?

I just want to know the best course of action, without abusing the system. I have felt a lot of shame since they rated me TDIU. I'm only 32 years old, and I feel that I have the world in front of me. Can I get rid of this rating and return to a normal life after therapy? The hill is steep, but I know I can climb it. I've been fired from several jobs for the typical PTSD reasons. I am finally coming to terms with this crap that floats around in my head, but this rating feels like a sentence from a judge.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Open a small business.  Incorporate it.  Put it into your own name, or form a trust for your wife and kids if you want.

Being TDIU does not stop you from doing things, you can work in a sheltered environment.  Whittle whistles and sell them, make stools and haul them to a flea market.  Do something you enjoy.  Sign up for VR&E, get independent living to fund the equipment for you.

Pay yourself minimum wage or work for free.  Hire you wife, your kids, cousins and aunts and uncles, what ever.  Their income will not affect your TDIU.  Just keep it small, in your home in a protected environment, and it should be just fine.

Edited by pwrslm

The VA doesn't just hand out IU T&P awards, your pretty fracked up, more than you probably realize. Read the 38 CFR 4 70% rating for PTSD. You've got some real issues to contend with, that will greatly affect your productivity and employment prospects. VA's MH programs might help, to a certain degree. Just don't expect to wake up one morning, PTSD free, ain't going to happen, you paid the price.

Your under 65 so you can earn up to the SGI cut off of $12,400 or $238.00 per week, without fear of an automatic IU Reduction. Some employers might make accommodations for your SC conditions, that would work, even if you earned more than SGI yearly. Best to be upfront with any prospective employer regarding your PTSD issues.

Semper Fi

I skipped over this part of the packet for a reason. I just read the 70% rating (I was 30%). I mean, they are doctors who specialize in this, so I am not one to contradict their definition. I know that I don't hallucinate, but xxxxxxx hell. 90% of the rest of it is spot-on. Things have been getting progressively worse. I've never once thought about suicide, though. In fact, I think the other way. My training saved me and my men's lives countless times. Sure, there was luck, but we were some trained motherfuckers. And I loved helping my junior Marines with problems. 

My last job was in IT for a large investment bank. I solved problems for my junior guys as well as my customers who had issues with their desk set-ups, trading desks, etc.. IT stuff always came naturally, and I want to get some awesome certifications so I'm bonafide if/when I enter the workforce, as I'll have a large employment gap.

I LOVE helping people, maybe not on a clinical level, but in an office setting. It was high op tempo, with great pay (I worked in Midtown NYC), for a great company. That's where I need to get back to. I just hope the VocRehab people don't cheesedick my application.

Semper Fi

Just don't take no or we can't do that, for an  answer. I had 2 Voc Rehab Councilors in 12 & 13 there were great. Recently had 1 for IL that spent more time telling me what the program couldn't provide.

Maybe you can become a volunteer for a non-profit organization. You would be able to have productive interactions without violating any of the rules. As a volunteer, you would be able to work when you feel you can. If you can help others with IT issues, you would probably find plenty of folks who need you. Blogging is an option if you are confident in your writing skills. You could treat it like a job, same with volunteer work. Help other vets and disabled people.