VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Notice Of C&p Exam

Rate this question

Brandy

Question

Can anyone tell me what GM might mean? This is abbreviated like this after appointment date and time.

C&P/GM

C&P/EYE

I know that the eye is for my husband's eye exam because we claimed diabetic Retiopathy. But I don't know what the GM stands for.

The other question I have is, do the exam doctors really use the examination work sheets that are posted on the VA's website? If so, do they cover pretty much everything on the exam worksheet?

Also, if they require lab work to be done, would they elect not to get labs done if in our records we have lab work dated about 5-months ago?

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Brandy, in the C@P exam report is should say something like this:

medical opinion or restatement of medical opinion, then it ask a question: For example: did the Veterans hypertension have its onset during service or manifest during the first post service year?

That question tells you exactly what they are looking for.

Go to the VA medical records section where the exams were done, Sign a release and and ask for all c@P exams you have had. They will usually print them right there.

Good Luck.

Edited by jstacy

Guest rickb54

Brandy,

Looks like you got some good answers, I just want to ad one thing.

The va may or may not use the examination worksheets.

I have found that some regional offices now use computer generated forms and they fill in only the fields that they want to answer, when they are printed out, the form only shows the answered questions, and not all the questions.

Guest jangrin

Brandy,

When my husband just had his C&P exam recently, we couldn't figure out what it was for either. On the appt. notification letter it said, he was to go to the out patient clinic for a C&P exam for "disabilities".

We got to the appointment and we were told it was a DMII exam.

I think there is a phone number on your appt. letter for scheduling. I think you can call the scheduling number and they know what the exam is for. ALso you can always call the 800# general info and ask them what exactly is the exam for.

When my husband went,the nurse that did the disability exam is the one that usually did ALL AO exams. She called it a DMII, the RO called it dsisability. SHe did all DMII and secondarys except, hearing, eyes and Mental.

I think they are calling your husband's exam a "GM exam", because he has many secondarys to the Diabestes and they can cover alot in one exam if they generalize the request, rather than an exam for each condition claimed for rating.

JMO

Jangrin

Edited by jangrin

Jangrin,

1. But won't that hurt our claim? He has so many secondary's, how can they check them all in one visit?

2. Also, should we take the medical information from years ago that prove he had hypertension right after service? We just found these records and have not submitted them to VA. But I believe that the VA already should have copies in his C-file. This hypertension thing is what I talked to you about in another thread that we may have to file a CUE or 1151 on and I am not sure we should bring it up just yet. They may have enough information being that he also shows hypertension was diagnosed by the local VA clinic years ago.

3. I call the number on the exam report and got answering machine every time. I left a message and they have not returned my call yet.

4. Will the examiner have his C-file when he does the exam? Or will he only have portions of his file?

Guest jangrin

Brandy,

1. We were at the appt. for almost an hour with the NP (nurse) doing the C&P exam. She did the physical and according to her report (we requested a copy) she covered everything except Mental, hearing, vision. But she did not address gastrointestinal. But she did address the following:

DMII, HBP/HTN, CAD, PN, ED-also medications, history, did the exam and findins and wrote DX in report. Brandy remember the examiner is not there to treat or come up with a treatment regime. They are only there to confirm or deny the presence of a claimed condition. and to list they symptoms so a rater can rate them.

I think they could do alot in the exam. Will they get everything, no I doubt it. But you have to plan on having to appeal some stuff. I still think your husband will be 100% schedular, but you may have to file an NOD on some of his conditions if they do not address them in the rating decision.

I would take any records or reports to the exam with you that you think might help. Personally I would take the reords that prove he has been hospitalized multiple times in the past year. And also the doctors report before and after his leg amputation. (we took 3 reports with us from Social Security-she didn't want any of them told us to send them to the RO). Your examiner may or may not want them, make sure you only give copies. Yes, they are suppose to have copies of the Cfile. Whether they do or not?????

If you filed for hypertension as secondary to the Diabetes (type 1) on the claim for compensation, then yes I would submit the information you have found to not only the doctor doing the C&P but also the RO. However, if you did not list it on the claim. Then hold on to it for your appeal or when you file for HTN.

The thing of it is, right now the claim is in the development stage, after this C&P exam I believe it will go to the raters. Especially if you have signed and returned the "no further evidence" VCAA form to allow the VA to go ahead rate the claim. If you have included HTN on your claim then send in the info now before it goes to the raters.

If you have NOT included the HTN on the claim-I would not at this time add another condition to your claim.

It may stop the rating process and add too much time for what the benefit would be.

I hope this helps,

Jangrin B)

Edited by jangrin