Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P

Rate this question

Dtown

Question

I'm a little confused, I had a C&P done for both knees and ankles.  I could see the computer over the Dr's shoulder and everything looked favorable; flare-ups, pain, discomfort, loss of motion.  

I got confused when the Dr. got to the question; is patient being examined during a flare-up? He stated yes for all four joins. 

I told him I was in discomfort, but that I didn't have any flare-ups.  He stuck with "I was having a flare-up".  Is this going to hurt or help my exam results?

thank you!

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

could hurt you since a "flare up" is considered to be how your disability (at this point claimed disability) is at its worst point.

I told him I was in discomfort, but that I didn't have any flare-ups.  He stuck with "I was having a flare-up".  Is this going to hurt or help my exam results?

I guess the question is what did he ask you specifically and what did you say specifically..

Did he ask if you have flare ups and were you having one now

and

Did you say you DONT have flare up at all, or that you were not having one at the moment.

If you said you dont relaly have flare up just discomfort. he may have just put down flare up since you discomfort was as falred up as it got and the closest thing being to "peak" in your pain and discomfort.

70% - PTSD

->50% - OSA (Secondary to PTSD)

30% - Bilateral Pes Planus w/Plantar Fasciitis

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

0% - bilateral shin splints

I did state that I get several flare-ups, but when he got the the question below he didn't ask, he marked yes. 

Im not sure if it's going to hurt the results of my exam (range of motion part) or help my cause in regards to the flare-ups. 

Is the exam being conducted during a flare-up? [x] Yes [ ]No

He then skipped the following;

If no, does the Veteran report flare-ups? [ ]Yes [ ] No
Frequency: daily
Severity: moderate
Duration: depends on activity
If the examination is not being conducted during a flare-up:
[ ] The examination supports the Veteran's statements describing
functional loss during flare-ups.
[ ] The examination contradicts the Veteran's statements
describing
functional loss during flare-ups. Please explain.
[ ]The examination neither supports nor contradicts the Veteran's
statements describing functional loss during flare-ups.
Does pain, weakness, fatigability or incoordination significantly limit
functional ability with flare-ups?
[ ] Yes [ ] No

Well, it could go either way, 50/50, since he skipped the part about frequency and duration.  Strangly enough, most of the rating amounts are based on ROM(range of motion) and not pain.  At the bare minimum, having flare-ups shows that while you have a general level of pain and discomfort, you also experience episodes of increased pain and discomfort.  During which your ROM may be more limited than normal.

You will have to wait and see what is written in your exam notes.

Best of luck to you.

Semper Fi.

Andyman

Thank you! 

Crossing my fingers.  I am SC 0% for L ankle and filed for an increase.  I feel the C&P was in my favor; 

ROM- Abnormal or outside of normal range.  Dorsiflexion: 0-10 degrees

Dtown,

Just for curiosity's sake I wanted to let you know, I was originally SC for L ankle @ 10% at my EAS. And nearly 2 years later SC for bilateral patellafemoral pain syndrom(knee pain) also @ 10%.  15 years later L ankle unchanged, knees are now each 10% plus the bilateral pain syndrom.  But I just had C&P for R ankle secondary to L ankle, and I saw on the exam notes examiner wrote at least as likely due to L ankle.

I hope you get yours bumped up!

Semper Fi.

Andyman