Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC and Loss of income compensation

Rate this question

Chuck75

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It always seemed a bit odd to me that veteran's disability payments, based upon loss of income and the disability ratings are quite different in purpose than the

SMC compensation. Yet, SMC payments are substituted (Other than SMC K) for the standard compensation tables.

The question is why, and is it just the VA's way of reducing veteran's compensation?

It's worthwhile to note that the "standard" 100% VA disability payment of ~ $3k a month is considerably LESS than the governments figures for average income.

How do you replace ~$4K with ~$3k and call that replacement ? (An excuse might be made that the $3k is "tax free", but that's not completely true, since almost anything it's used for involves tax in some manner.)

If that's not bad enough, the CPI is deliberately measured in such a way as to only account for one half or less of the average inflation and cost of living increases.

Opinions, comments, etc. ?????

Edited by Chuck75

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

The VA continues to manipulate the media with statistics that don't add up. It is no different with their push to claim high closure rates on initial disability claims and disregard the corresponding rise in the appeals claims rate.

Sad to Say that Chuck, you are right on the money my friend.  Coming off of Active Duty in Feb 2013, I made 2X what the VA pays me now to Be Disabled, which I did not ask for when I entered the Military. The Govt always says average income, my AS*.  I am very grateful for what I get every month from the Navy, VA and SSDI, but it is still not what I would have made with all of my Degrees. So being that I am only 33, when I think about how much income I will lose over my Lifetime makes me Sick!!!   Just dont get why there are so many Homeless Sick Vets, that should be Living better then the Murderers, Rapists and Drug Dealers!!!!   Sorry for the rant, I dont hate anyone in life.

I can understand your pain Navy04. There is no way to make you whole again. I don't understand how VA and politicians think they are doing so.