VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A quote

Rate this question

Sgt. Wilky

Question

Hey all,

I have been doing some reading in my spare time and while attempting to better myself in all areas of my life (certainly a constant struggle which I find I have little energy for-a lot) I happened upon a quote by William Hazlitt. When I read this quote, I immediately thought of my early years in my claim process when I was very ignorant of the processes that we must embrace and oftentimes overcome when dealing with the VA; and quite frankly, this would apply in pretty much every area of our lives:

"The way to secure success is to be more anxious about obtaining than about deserving it."

When I read this and applied it to my situation regarding my claims process, I came to realize that although I knew I deserved it (it still makes me squeamish to use that phrase), I still didn't understand the need for me to "set a fire" about obtaining the results that I needed. Back in 2008, I was under the impression that the VA would see my issues and grant and life would be merry. Obviously, most of you know, and I NOW know that was a very farcical way of thinking. 

It wasn't until my first denial letter and reading through the fanciful footwork of the VA that I began to comprehend the battle I was going to be facing. Shortly thereafter, I found this website and can I say, "God bless T-bird and all of you" who contributed to my education in the ways of the VA.

I found that I had to set aside my ideas of "deserving" it and had to become "...more anxious about obtaining..." the success of my claim. For many of us and myself included, being anxious meant that we had to become enraged and furious at the misapplication of the law that was so evident in many, if not most of our claims. But more importantly, if there was no other benefit, it caused me not to let my claim rest in the hands of the VA, or the VSOs, or to Hadit.com, or to chance; but rather to myself, and for me personally, to my Lord who knew that I truly was deserving. Sometimes, being anxious means we have to educate ourselves on the ins and outs of the processes. It also means asking for help which I am thankful that I did. The majority of my knowledge came from this group, dedicated to helping other veterans and their families out with experiences shared and utilized.

I am the one, and you are the one, that only can secure the success of your claim. If the evidence is there, then it is up to me hand walk it threw the process. Don't leave it up to the VSO and obviously don't leave it up to the VA. Sure,  I may not like it, but I'm the one that has to gear up (yet again) for a fight. We can cry and clamor the day long about how it not to be that way, but it is. Looking back, had I not received the encouraging and profitable words here to keep up the fight, I'd have not carried on. 

I guess I said all that to say that we use the resources that we have here on hadit.com, our VSOs, and even the VA, but it boils down to how willing and how hard am I going to fight to make sure that my claim sees success? And that's a question that we all have to ask on a personal basis. I could have claimed ignorance and thus, defeat. But if I had educated myself and fought and fought, and fought some more to the full extent and still lost, I'd have gone away with knowing that I had done my best. 

And that, my friends, is what I deserve.

Thanks for letting me post my little say!

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Wilky

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet