Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help With Iu

Rate this question

Billyboy

Question

A little history:

8 1 2005 quit working. Could not stand to be around people any more.

11-28-05 connected for MDD, 50%

12-14-05 Sent application for IU

1-09-06 VA wants more info (have 1 year)

3-24-06 Sent all info requested (VA received 3-28-06)

Two letters received at the same time

4-20-06 Received letter VA denied IU. (Informal notice) Their stamped date 4-14-06

3-29-06 Denied (official notice, with the seal at the top of the page)

I have appointments with a shrink; he put me back on Prozac and waiting to see if he will give me the letter that says I am not employable? NOW

Should I resubmit the 100% IU now? Should I wait for the letter from the shrink? The only new evidence I have is the pills I’ve been taking. Some state will cause fatigue and drowsiness and I have been unemployed since 8-1-05. I hope y’all can understand this, if not ask questions. My memory and concentration is just not what it used to be, bill

0% Hearing loss, 10% Tinnitus, 70% MDD, 100% TDIU Thanks to the vet (Gaylon) that help me get started, the county officer (Charles) and all the great people on HADIT

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest rickb54

Billyboy,

I really wish you the best of luck with your claim, With that said your statement,

"I guess after 30 some years it just wore a little thin on my nerves."

Many people have problems with their job, most don't just quit. You even owned your own business which made it very easy for you in comparisson to others with the same medical problems. You didn't even have to be around people in you business, at least not for very long.

I don't guess my previous suggestion, "I would suggest that a letter from your past employer indicating your work history ie: loss work dates etc.. might also help. " is going to do you any good since a letter from yourself would hold little water.

Taking all your statements into consideration,and without passing judgement, It is easy to get the impression you are trying to cash in on something that you are not entitled too.

again best of luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Billyboy

You need a doctor to say you crashed and burned and that is why you got rid of your business. Some people, like me, who tend to go into deep depressions crash and burn and are very sorry afterword. Everything seems to slip through our fingers and wondering how I got to this place I don't want to be.

Billyboy, no one on this board is a psychologist and no one on this board is walking in your shoes. The first thing you need is a medical opinion stating in detail the reasons why your disability significantly makes you unemployable, you can also use letters from family and friends corrobarating the symptoms of the disability (anger, dizzyness, shakiness, paleness, pain, inability to talk, medicaton side effects, etc) is what I call visual symptoms, and this is call Lay evidence.

TDIU benefits will be granted "when the disabled person is, in the judgment of the rating agency, unable to secure or follow a substantially gainful occupation as a result of service-connected disabilities."

If a veteran has only one service-connected disability, this disability must be ratable at 60 percent or more.

If the veteran has more than one service-connected disability, at least one disability must be ratable at 40 percent and the combined disability rating must be 70 percent or more.

A veteran who does not meet the percentage requirement under the rating schedule described above but is unable to work due to service-connected disabilities may still be awarded a TDIU rating on an extreschedular basis.

The TDIU regulation states that "it is the established policy" of the VA that all veterans who are unemployable because of service -connected disabilities "shall be rated totally disable".

The governing norm for granting a TDIU rating on an extraschedular basis is: a finding that the case presents such exceptional or unusual disability picture with such related factors as marked interference with employment or frequent period of hospitalization as to render impractical the application of the regular schedular standards.

Please, fight for what you think you are entitle to, no matter what other people says. Rigo

• HadIt.com Elder

Billyboy

What the VA may do is that if they decide you can't work they will bump up your 50% to 70% and then grant IU. I applied for IU when I was 30%. The VSO said I could not do it, of course. I got bumped up to 70% and was granted IU on appeal. There is always some way to skin the cat.

I appreciate all your comments, good and bad. I have mailed a NOD for the MDD 50%; I am starting secessions with a shrink. I’ll be honest with him as I am with everyone. Hope you all have a nice thanksgiving. bill

0% Hearing loss, 10% Tinnitus, 70% MDD, 100% TDIU Thanks to the vet (Gaylon) that help me get started, the county officer (Charles) and all the great people on HADIT

John 999, how did you get bumped from 30% to 70%? Did you have another meeting with a shrink? How did this happen for you. bill