Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Our picks

• The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 4 replies
    • Wonderful news way to hang in. I hope this gives you some well deserved peace. 
    • If HadIt.com has helped you or you believe in it’s mission then please donate even $1 helps. I hope HadIt.com has provided $1’s worth of help to you. Imagine waking up and there is no HadIt.com it could happen and that is why I’m asking for your help now.

Our traffic is going up and so are our expenses, however revenues have gone down and so I am reaching out to you to see if you can help me keep Hadit.com up and running.
      • 4 replies
    • https://community.hadit.com/searching-for-va-claims-information-on-hadit.com/

Your question has probably been asked before so the fastest way to find the information you need is to search for it.
      • 3 replies
    • How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
rootbeer22

TBI EXAMS Process Knowledge/Tips

Question

Folks:

I finally have my TBI Exam next week. The Tank Main explosion that I was involved with is well documented and I was service connected for bilateral hearing loss as a result of the incident, but it was many years ago in 1983. I'm not sure how the process works and have been told that it's a series of questions? Can anyone who has had a TBI exam recently could give me a few impressions or lessons learned from the exam, I would appreciate it.

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, rootbeer22 said:

Folks:

I finally have my TBI Exam next week. The Tank Main explosion that I was involved with is well documented and I was service connected for bilateral hearing loss as a result of the incident, but it was many years ago in 1983. I'm not sure how the process works and have been told that it's a series of questions? Can anyone who has had a TBI exam recently could give me a few impressions or lessons learned from the exam, I would appreciate it.

TBI exam is online in va tbi exam form or the form the doctor fills

out DBQ I think  

PLUS, they will try to disarm you with off the wall questions aimed at catching you off guard.  Can't say much more than that,... BUT do NOT feel that you need, or compelled to answer ALL questions in depth.  All they want to do is "catch" you in any lie or mis-truth in order to deny you benefits.  Don't fall for it.

Stick with the facts and RE the STRs as often as you can.  DO NOT embellish!

HorizontalMike:

Although I claimed for TBI and the explosion, it looks like I'm being scheduled  to review my claustrophobia that is somewhat related but has nothing to do with my headaches an stuff like that...it's odd...

Don't fall for the standard line: "...How are you doing today?..."

Think about THAT line BEFORE you go to your C&P.  The conditioned response of "...Just fine..." IS NOT FINE!  Just remember that you do not want to be having a "good" day when you go to your C&P.  Sounds simple, but you must be proactive about it or you will be tripped up by such lines.  Just a thought.

How am I supposed to be feeling? I was in a tank explosion and lost my hearing!... etc...

I know in my case I had 6 concussions while in service, and did not know what TBI was. Then when I had my C&P for Migraines a few years back, the Doc ordered Brain Scans and that is where they noted the Residuals of TBI. Then last year I was diagnosed with Post Concussion Syndrome again after a brain scan.   Have you had a Brain Scan or has your VA Neuro Doc diagnosed  you with TBI?  As I always say the Documented Medical Evidence speaks for itself. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Victor Ray
      I have found that the VA has had evidence decades before they say they knew. They have been deceiving us, Liang to us, and depriving due benefits for 5 decades at least, and me personally for 46 years. They are dishonest and deceptive, and have been the root cause of Veterans suffering to death, needlessly. Over 300,000 and it's probably double that at least. Your claims are delayed to deceive you and delay you, nothing more. NOTHING MORE. My claim went from the crooks in St. Louis, to the lazy jerks in Atlanta, to to numb nuts in Nebraska, to the warped minds in Waco, TX, before determining that the month I was hospitalized in Vietnam did little to nothing. Since July I had another stroke, now a brain hypodensity,and the coma and migraines on duty don't mean crap to the liars at the VA. They lied to deprive me of a life, and they did. Despite 20+ FOIA Requests, they withheld medical evidence and documents that could have changed my life, so they just say screw you, go die. They knew all along, and are lying to you now. 
    • By RickyDee
      I have a C&P for GW Illnesses. I don't know why because most of my compensation I have % for outlines the diagnoses for GW illnesses or relate to them. Have anyone out there been through one of these type C&P's and if so can you share your outcome/results? 
    • By ArmyVet1981
      Hello everyone!
       this is my first post on this site, but I have been stalking it for a while now.
      I have a question that maybe someone can address.
      I'll try and make it short and sweet....
      I received my SC disability for psoriasis 30% in 2009.  At the time I was only on topicals that did nothing for me... For the last 2 years I have been on Humira which has been a blessing!   I just received a phone call from a rep stating that I was coming up for an exam on my psoriasis... I told them I was on auto-immune suppressants, so of course my skin is clearer.. She stated that would drop my rating.....??  My issue is this... if they take away my 30% for my psoriasis... who would pay for my Humira?? And isn't the fact that I am on auto-immune suppressants enough to keep my rating as is??

any advice would be greatly appreciated:)
    • By rootbeer22
      Folks:

Today, I got into ebenefits and noticed that my second claim has already moved into the "review of evidence"  phase without any CP exams for the contentions? Earlier, in one of my "statements of support", I mentioned as a way of "explanation" that my long standing  "claustrophobia" sometimes limits  my ability to do some MRI's? However,  I was still able to do a few more a couple of years ago which are still key evidence in my overall case, but it's harder and harder for me to do them now. This claustrophobia is directly associated with  a tragic experience  that I had in the Army and I started treatment today with the VA for the first time. Last weekend my wife said, "enough is enough" as I told her about my claustrophobia during a work trip 2 weeks ago in which the confined space of the commuter flight affected me a lot and she advised  "you are getting this checked out as soon as possible? I've been married 34 years and my wife is really amazing. That said, now I'm pretty sure that it was a very big mistake to bring this  to light in any capacity to my rater? The rater made a veiled statement in my last A8 that my inability to do some of the MRIs hurt my ability to gather sufficient evidence for my case but I have provided key medical documentation? However, I did provide the actual MRI that was so difficult for me to do as evidence and they have it. Currently, my file has over 200 smr  documents  that are related to the same condition and the evidence is overwhelming. The absolute worst part of this is that I never thought that something like this ( a medical condition)  would actually be used against me and I see now  that I was very naïve to disclose that information? When I asked friends it was about 50/50 if I should bring up the issue? Who knows, in retrospect, I probably should have run releasing  this information past this forum first to see what you Vets would do before I told my rater about it?  Any Advice or Comments on the Subject?  Godspeed ...Roobeer22
    • By rootbeer22
      Folks:

At this point it looks like I finished all of my C &P exams last week and I'd like to know what happens next from you seasoned, Hadit.com veterans? Although I'm not satisfied with all of the exams, I did get to retake the one that I was most concerned about and suspect I'll be appealing some contentions? Also, originally, I submitted 13 DBQ's with exams as part of my claims submission package, so that part of my claim is very robust. I'm not sure I would have done the DBQ's again because I retook most of the same exams again anyway and it just cost me more time in the process? That said, I was never able to confirm that all of my hard copy files ever got fully digitized into the VBMS System? I did get a "verbal" from a senior VBA official that they were in fact there? But, like many vets, about half of my service medical records (SMR's) are handwritten by military doctors and I believe they don't get the same attention as the newer chrisp typed records that come out of DOD and the VA Systems today? For me, some of my most important SMR evidence is on these handwritten SMR's. So, I was advised by some seasoned, claims veterans that have turned in claims over the years to provide statements of support and buddy statements to bridge that gap for the VBA claims raters? It's supposed to "tell the full story" so the raters can peice it all together?

One note is that I'm more convinced now then ever after my interactions with examiners that the final outcome of a claim is due in large part to the "luck of the draw" and who works your claim? In one case, I came across someone, whom had their mind already made up before I ever walked thru the door and I suspect that this is more of a "personality type" than the way business is usually done. Just like "global warming", some may have a bias that the whole "Gulf War Syndrome" an in their opinion, it just - does not jibe? However, although there are examination rules, policies, regulations, etc. in place ...many professionals also have a lot of subjective leeway in filling out the forms and personal biases and if you "draw" someone like that, it's like a spawning salmon,( you or me) are swimming against the current to get where you need to go..to get your just due?
  • Ads

• Our picks

• The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 4 replies
    • Wonderful news way to hang in. I hope this gives you some well deserved peace. 
    • If HadIt.com has helped you or you believe in it’s mission then please donate even $1 helps. I hope HadIt.com has provided $1’s worth of help to you. Imagine waking up and there is no HadIt.com it could happen and that is why I’m asking for your help now.

Our traffic is going up and so are our expenses, however revenues have gone down and so I am reaching out to you to see if you can help me keep Hadit.com up and running.
      • 4 replies
    • https://community.hadit.com/searching-for-va-claims-information-on-hadit.com/

Your question has probably been asked before so the fastest way to find the information you need is to search for it.
      • 3 replies
    • How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines