Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

CATARACTS in other eye from Prednisone to help with MS exacerbations.

Rate this question

Holllie Greene

Question

Hi,  I hope this is the correct place to post.  I was taken aback a bit when I read that post from 9 years ago.  9 years.  The cataract in question at that point in time was removed by a local ophthalmologist about 4 years ago and all is well, although I still need to wear reading and "typing on the internet" glasses. I used my BC/BS fed emp health ins that I kept when I disability retired.  The cataract in my other eye needs to come out and have a new lens put in pronto.  By the same ophthalmologist.  I have read disturbing things about the VA and cataract surgery plus my dad had an unsettling experience with a VA ophthalmologist and a nurse laughing at the fact he had cataracts.  I do not appreciate anyone laughing at anyone, especially my Marine Corps Veteran dad and other Veterans.  WTH is wrong with these doctors?  And the Camp Lejeuene (my birthplace) water issue...well since I don't want to cuss at the computer, so I'll save it.

Tomorrow I am going to turn that form in to the VSO (the form where my new VA doc signed off on for A & A).  I have been thinking about not turning it in and giving up but I read Larry's post about not giving up and now I am motivated.  Why not turn the form in?  I can't really answer that except for I don't want the runaround again.  But with my MS worsening I will turn it in.  I have hit my head several times since this past summer due to lack of balance. Not good.  My husband is worried.  Well, hang in there everyone.  Friday is almost here!  Holllie G

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hi Hollie,
When new doctors graduate medical school, some of them choose to perform their residency at the VA and spend several years there. There are some regular staff doctors who I would prefer working on me instead. Before having surgery, see if the VA has an experienced physician, not a resident, who can perform the surgery. I had surgery at a non-VA facility and was offered the option to letting a resident 'learn' on me. Prior to the procedure I was presented with a legal form where I opted out of having residents work on me. If you choose the VA or not, I recommend doing the same. Get it in writing.

I'm sorry about the way they treated and laughed at your father. There are some very good people working at the VA, but it also has its share of idiots.

If you don't want the VA to do the procedure, you might consider the Choice Program. If you live more than 40 miles from the facility or if it might be 30+ days before it can be scheduled, then you might qualify. The program can be a bit difficult to navigate, but at least it is a potential option other than having the VA work on you. Folks here on Hadit have had mixed experiences with the program. Here is a link with more details: http://www.va.gov/opa/choiceact/

Regarding steroid induced cataracts, it definitely can happen. Here is a case study I found:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11952401

Good luck!

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Hi Vync,

Thank you for the information.  Yes, that is my mantra too: "get it in writing";  always a good idea.

When my dad told me what happened at the "crown jewel" I was livid...since it is basically across the road from Stanford I presume it was a resident who laughed.

I agree with you that there are some good people who work at the VA but there are idiots as well.  Thank you for your kind words about my dad., I appreciate it.

I had read both positive and negative things about the Choice Program and I will investigate it more.

I am an anomaly at the local ophthalmologist's practice as I am his youngest cataract patient.  I had IV prednisone and pills from both my civilian doctor of 25 years (now she has gone concierge and too expensive for me) and VA neurologist since 1995 in an attempt to quell the exacerbations.  But never again.  No more Prednisone for me.

Thank you again Vync for responding to my post.

HG

My husband was rated 30% for bilateral cataracts caused by long-term steroid treatment of a service connected disability.  Obstructive sleep apnea was also service connected for the same reason.  Posterior Subcapsular Cataracts are commonly linked to steroid use.  This is a textbook example of the need to be familiar with the effects of meds prescribed for service connected disabilities that lead to other disabilities that also warrant service connection.

5 hours ago, broncovet said:

My brother also had Cadillac Surgury.  I corrected him, and said its "cataract" surgery.  He responded, "No, I had to sell my Cadillac to pay the doc, and now he is driving my Cadillac".  

Hey Broncovet,  your brother ain't kidding about selling his Caddy!  It is expensive but better than having a resident inject anesthesia into the wrong area and have an eye ball explode.  I would rather have my eye than that 925,000.00.  HG

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
5 hours ago, broncovet said:

My brother also had Cadillac Surgury.  I corrected him, and said its "cataract" surgery.  He responded, "No, I had to sell my Cadillac to pay the doc, and now he is driving my Cadillac".  

Broncovet,
I am going to have to remember that one!

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.