VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SCS or Intrathecal Pain Pump?

Rate this topic

Yes I decided to just get away from the VA and I am going on the outside of the VA for my spine issues but for my meds I am letting the VA give them to me.. I've had enough of the VA and I'm declining the implant of the SCS. They BOTH have their pros and cons such as with the SCS the leads can move and cause pain levels to increase. With the Morphine Implant the hose can detach.

Yesterday I go to PM thinking we were going to discuss both the SCS and the Morphine but instead they took me off the Oxycodone and replaced it with MOrphine instant release. So on my next delivery they are going to send me the Morphine IR. So now I will be on both the ER and IR. Here is the thing, OXYCODONE is 1 1/2 stronger than Morphine and is more addicting. So, instead of taking 4 Oxycodones per day they want me to take 2 Morphines ER and 2 Morphines IR.

PER PM Neurologist in a Secure Message he said they give you a 7-10 day trial of the SCS.

My brother in law about a year ago had his L5-S1 Facet joint removed and he is fine today. Yes he still has the OA setting in but he doesn't have the leg pains like he use to. I have another friend who just had THREE facet joints removed, no discs, and then they fused his back. He said he has his life back!!!! I have the same exact issues but the VA won't touch me unless a disc is affecting the spinal cord, this is per the PM NP I just seen yesterday. I guess I have to leave the VA and get help elsewhere. I find it intriguing that if your knee cartilage deteriorates they will replace it, if your shoulder cartilage deteriorates they will replace it but if your WHOLE spine cartilage deteriorates they say "DEAL WITH IT", even though its causing more and more nerve damage. 

Actually research shows Failed Back Surgery Syndrome happens more with people who has to have discs replacement compared to those who just have to have their facet joints removed.

Maybe I just just live on the pain meds the rest of my life because either way with or without the meds my life is worthless!!!!

Edited by rpowell01

rpowell01 on the "DEAL WITH IT" I completely agree with your observation.  Different studies state different approaches to a spinal cord injury.  Depending on the depth of compression, nerve block and nerve roots affected, osteophytes and osteoarthritis, muscle groups, age, and I know you know the rest as the research you have shared with me opened my eyes to many treatment options.  

For as many success stories of surgeries helping I have found the same or more on the avenue of not.  In some instances leaving the patient in worse health.  It's a hard choice.

The question becomes what will medicine have available to you when your liver & kidneys can't tolerate any more medicine. Although the above, concerning less side effects is promising. I don't have the answers but I am curious about them just the same.

A multi discipline approach yields the best results but what then?  I am there myself.  I feel your pain.  If I find a combination of something that works for longer periods I'll be sure to share.   

Until then, I am under the same dilemma.  I have been trying to decide on whether I can deal with a pain pump myself.  Is "zombie-land" and alternative for a while.???

Edited by ArNG11
reword

since my entire spine is messed up, with the worse being the thoracolumbar, i am not deemed a surgical candidate. i have been told by ortho several times, that i would be worse off with rods on my back. given the complexity of my spinal issues, i tend to agree.

• HadIt.com Elder

you might ask the VA Director if they can't do anything else for your pain  ask them to free base it if you can find private care? 

Agreed don't settle for substandard care, especially in a location such as that.  Get the unbiased experts input and opinions. You owe yourself that.  Don't just go by the advice of one doctor.  JMO

Make an educated decision with as much information as you need to feel confident in your treatment plans and options.