VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SCS or Intrathecal Pain Pump?

Rate this topic

rwskitch exactly 110% agreeable. I do pray all the time.

The problem with me is I herniated a disc at C2-C3 and C5-C6 and the VA didn't want to touch me back in 2011 whenever I presented to them this information. Then in June 2012 I herniated my L5-S1 and again the VA didn't want to touch me. Now, I have nerve damage in my neck, upper thoracic (right smack between my shoulder blades) and I have lumbar nerve damage. I understand FBSS but I am now living with nerve damage which is not fun whatsoever.  If you think about it I would have had a 50-50 chance with the spine surgery. But now its too late since the nerves are damage. There is no fix for nerve damage at the nerve roots. They don't regrow like other nerves.

Trust me I will be very careful with the salad mix of both types of Morphine ER and Morphine IR they are putting me on. I will have to test it to find the right timings on taking them. As of right now I take my Morphine ER first thing whenever I get up then one at night. But what I do with the oxycodone is not what is prescribed. The Prescription says to take 1 every 4 hours as needed. But since I have been on the low 5mgs for 2 years now I had to adjust it myself by taking 2 pills around 9-10am then I take 2 more about an hour after my nightly dose of morphine ER. The reason is my body has become tolerant to the 5mgs and so I have to take 10mgs at a time to get any relief. If I don't, well I don't know if you know what it feels like taking a medication where your body has become tolerant with. It doesn't do much whatsoever. I told my PM Neurologist at the VA and the VA pharmacy this is how I have to do it and they said as long as I don't go over the 4 pills a day this if fine. Actually the VA Pharmacy people in Tampa helps a lot of people out and if you have problems with a certain pain med they can send a secured message to the PM Neurologist and get it adjusted or changed. They helped me a lot in the past months. They said they understand what I'm going through and they kinda feel sorry for me which is NOT what I want.

I get a new MRI next week from my local hospital. My Private PCP is wanting to see how bad it has gotten. I just pray its not worse than the previous 2013 MRI but I am hopeful they may find out what is causing my shoulders to hurt like they do. The pain is all up in my neck stretching out into my shoulders and shoulder blades. Muscle spasms all over my upper back makes it all worse and worsens the should pain.

Thanks for the info.

I myself am on the 10mg twice a day with 15mcg of Buprenorphine and take a max or two lorzone, with interchanging treatments of ice, heat, pain cream cocktails, and most days my pain is not manageable.  I asked my private provider about a pain pump as well and was met with resistance.  Now mind you these are from providers that know my situation and the details of my predicament.

Fusions in the c-spine and lumbar spine is all I can get as far as treatment options with the additional note of PT and weight loss.  I have even asked my provider about an upright bed, inert pain stimulators, pain pump, and meet resistance, no where near the resistance like the VA, however, still there is some.

At times I hate to even think in terms like this but even with good insurance, folks, medical professionals still can't stop from  thinking  you are just looking for a fix. I am in the hopes, for change,  Day by day is what I keep telling myself though, day by day.

Has anyone found any recent statistics of the success rates of the pain pumps or other similar means? Just curious really?

wish i could answer your question arng11 as i would be curious myself. i have had consults to orlando vamc pain clinic twice. and both times i never got to see a doctor because of their screw ups. i would love to be fee based as i once was. but that doctor wanted to give me epidurals and they don't work. plus i have an adverse reaction to steroids.

my last lumbar mri was in may 2014. it showed 5 stage 1 herniated discs; a grade 1 slipped vertabrae; foraminal and spinal stenosis; an abnormal lodoctic (spelling?); 2 torn discs and arthritis.

plus i have issues in my thoracic and cervical spine.

4 hours ago, iceturkee said:

wish i could answer your question arng11 as i would be curious myself. i have had consults to orlando vamc pain clinic twice. and both times i never got to see a doctor because of their screw ups. i would love to be fee based as i once was. but that doctor wanted to give me epidurals and they don't work. plus i have an adverse reaction to steroids.

my last lumbar mri was in may 2014. it showed 5 stage 1 herniated discs; a grade 1 slipped vertabrae; foraminal and spinal stenosis; an abnormal lodoctic (spelling?); 2 torn discs and arthritis.

plus i have issues in my thoracic and cervical spine.

Similar issues bud. If I find a better solution or means I will be sure to share this information with all of you.

13 hours ago, ArNG11 said:

Similar issues bud. If I find a better solution or means I will be sure to share this information with all of you.

i have an appointment with my pcp on feb. 18. i am going to ask her again about pain clinic options. i would be more than willing to share if she offers any useful information, which she is usually good at.